Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mirka Ceros and Mirka 915 dust extractor
18-02-2012, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 07:29 PM by mistcoat.)
Mirka Ceros and Mirka 915 dust extractor
Yes i finally got round to buying one, but believe it or not im not really bowled over by it after really puting it through its paces on a newly plastered hall stairs and landing.
Ok the mirka basically hasnt got a scratch on the Planex and i will go as far as the 150 Rotex, and i say this has a owner of all machines.
The mirka as far as im concerned is for filler repairs anything bigger than the average filler jobs in a private property and its out of the league as far has Festool is concerned, both sander and anyone of the festool vacs and ive had 4 different types so i can comment, CTM 26 was my last one.
im not gutted though, god knows why because i payed and brought it from johnstones paints, who gave me a great price not even TDS could beat so its not like i got it for free.
Anyway test, i got a bran new replastered hall for my sins and it wasnt the best job infact i will stay clear of any job that fella does, but i had purchased the mirka and thought great this will eat it up and have me home feet up in an hour,*%@"#+,
I had the worst nightmare todate in a private house the homeowner left because of the dust and every room in the house i had to de-dust Nodyes
It was everywhere accept the Vac, when i double checked the vac cause i thought there must be something wrong there wasnt which upset me further, the vac bag was half full but so was the floor Nodyes
I was so embarrassed, my sales pitch being dust free decoration hysterical it failed with flying colours on both floors and i ended up using 2 dust masks and changing my overalls twice and the dust i picked up from off the floor etc i put in the outside bin of the property and the bin removal refused to take the bin because of very large amount of dust which made the bin to heavy.
All round shocker and im shocked even more by the failure of a piece of kit everyone from here to scotland and across the waters are praising, its bloomin crapola, but for small filler repairs its great, for big jobs and new plaster get a planex or use your hand and sand block..

Edit: Altered thread title to correct spelling - better for member searches Thumbsup

I follow my instinct not fashion.......
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: Mirka Ceros and 915 dust exstractor
I thought the Ceros was great truth be told, Chris. I still haven't managed to get the Festool Midi that I want so I had it connected to my trusty Henry with Hepa bags.

You say it is out of it's league other than private homes. Look at this job I completed in January - Friendship House.
The Ceros handled this project with ease and even though I didn't need dust sheet protection for the floor as it was being replaced, there was hardly any clean-up at days end from rubbing that lot down. And we know how fine Easifill is.

#ppsforum | #bestdecoratorforum | G+ | Twitter

Just because you're offended, does not mean you are right. It just means you are offended.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mistcoat for this post:
Workaholic (19-02-2012)
19-02-2012, 12:41 AM
I would say its either faulty or not been set up correctly - no offence Chris
I sell 3 of these units a week and I've never heard of it failing as per your description.

Did you check the inside of the extractor before you started?
19-02-2012, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2012 07:55 AM by Workaholic.)
I have heard only good things about the Ceros. All the dust sounds like there was a connection problem with the hose. Have you used the 915 for any other tool?

I would get it checked out to see if it is defective, same with the 915.

I don't own the Ceros but I own Festool sanders and even the Festool junkies talk highly of the Ceros.

EDIT: I see what type of Extractor you used

Sean
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Workaholic for this post:
Aggie (19-02-2012)
19-02-2012, 08:33 AM
The best tool is your hand

Works everytime
Realiable
Never needs replacing
Totally free

Smilie
19-02-2012, 10:10 AM
didnt Andy [ac master]have an issue with ceros which turned out to be the scratch and with some advice on extraction from Aggie he was able to resolve it

I know nothing I havent learnt
19-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I have to say i'm really surprised with that review, we're huge fans of the Ceros.

Our current project utilises Henry at the bottom of a scaffold tower connected to the Ceros at the top of the tower via two lengths of hose. And even with Henry on the lower powered "eco" mode i'm happy to advertise "dust free sanding" to the homeowner good2 Admittedly we're not sanding new plaster, but very large rough timber.

Heres Mark using ours on a job last year with a similar setup and note he's not having to wear a mask. You can just see where the Mirka hose is fitted into the Henry hose at the bottom of the pic.

[Image: IMG_20110815_101724.jpg]
19-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I was wonering about this extraction and if a henry could be utilised

my extractor is a 110v hitachi extractor, does the ceros come in a 110v or is it only 240v with the stepdown transformer

19-02-2012, 11:42 AM
(19-02-2012 11:35 AM)mikethebrush Wrote:  I was wonering about this extraction and if a henry could be utilised

my extractor is a 110v hitachi extractor, does the ceros come in a 110v or is it only 240v with the stepdown transformer

Henry is fine with the Ceros and won't be replacing him just yet.

As far as I know the 110v is available but also comes with the step down transformer, as I think the Ceros actually runs on 22v? I'm sure someone will put me right there dunno
19-02-2012, 11:49 AM
thats handy Handy[ see what I did there]

my extractor has a feature where you plug in the sander and the extractor only runs when the sander is switched on

19-02-2012, 11:56 AM
(19-02-2012 11:49 AM)mikethebrush Wrote:  thats handy Handy[ see what I did there]

my extractor has a feature where you plug in the sander and the extractor only runs when the sander is switched on

I must admit that when Henry pops his clogs, I will be investing in such an extractor. It's rather annoying when you've climbed to the top of the tower, and you've forgotten to switch Henry on at the bottom headwall
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to handypainter for this post:
mistcoat (19-02-2012)
19-02-2012, 08:38 PM
You do have to make sure the pad saver & interface pad ar aligned properly on the unit, if not suction is hindered
19-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Chris, you don't say what type of abrasive & what grit you are usingScratchhead

Abranet do one with punched holes in, which line up with the interface holes, suction is greatly improved using this format with very fine dust.

“I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and apologetic mouse, but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession.” Steinbeck
19-02-2012, 09:51 PM
(19-02-2012 09:29 PM)Aggie Wrote:  Chris, you don't say what type of abrasive & what grit you are usingScratchhead

Abranet do one with punched holes in, which line up with the interface holes, suction is greatly improved using this format with very fine dust.

Good point there Aggie. Abranet is the biz Chris, that's what you want to be using, if you're not already dunno
19-02-2012, 09:54 PM
abranet is kingSmash

http://www.decor1st.com/