Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painting a glass panel
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Painting a glass panel
Morning comrades,
got asked this question last night whilst havin a few bevvies.
A builder friend of mine is doing a kitchen for his friend. This friend would like a black glass panel splash back. Priced them up and too expensive for him. It's been suggested to buy clear toughened glass with rounded-off edges (not expensive) and to paint the inside black.

So I was asked about the best paint for the job, not being my usual remit, I thought I'd put it to the PPS collective. So it needs to be black, with good adherence to glass and to have good opacity to hide the adhesive. My initial thoughts was a multi purpose aerosol, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

PAINT IT BLACK ( & AMBER )
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
RE: Painting a glass panel
I would be inclined to use an aerosol cellulose car paint or something. It wouldn't matter what finish it was, as the glass will give it protection. As far as prep is concerned, you would have to make sure it is very clean of course, using thinners to clean it with & not a silicone glass polish. Painting glass in the conventional way - with oil based paints, it was always done in reverse of course, apply the gloss first & then back it up with undercoat.

As far as the adhesive is concerned, I doubt if I would use a full bed adhesive as for tilesNo more inclined to use a clear silicone to stick it on with - & not too much of it either. I suspect Colour Republic will have more of an idea, as he is familiar with kitchen fits etc.

“I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and apologetic mouse, but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession.” Steinbeck
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Aggie for this post:
Bobbones (02-06-2013), Colour Republic (02-06-2013)
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
How about blackout window film http://www.purlfrost.com/blackout-film/#.UasWe0BwqSo
02-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I could find out the exact paint they use as I fit a fair amount and its my brother that does them for me as he owns a glazing factory (although the painted splash backs are fabricated by a third party) I believe it's a 2 pac paint which is then backed on after. I'm sure there are plenty of other paints that will do it but the slightest scratch and it will jump out and slap you around the face. As for adhesive then almost always we fit them with silicone but has to be low modulus. If you were doing it DIY style then I would think about using a clear adhesive film after painting to protect the paint for install.

How much have they been quoted? From memory it works out at about £160 sqm, then £30 per cut out (sockets and what not), minimum charge is for 0.33sqm per piece ( so say you were going around some boxing and you had a small slither, then it would be charged at 0.33sqm regardless) also if you want to cut round a curved extractor or something similar then you are looking at a cnc setup charge of around £100

DON'T TELL BERTIE....

Professional Paper Hangers - Painters and Decorators - Brighton & Hove
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 12:58 PM by R.A.F..)
how about esp then paint it with any paint you want or bedec msp straight on? foil would be good but can make the job costing more and in a result would cost same as a ready made splashback, anyway adding the cost of glass, paint and labour can still work out as buying a splashback, don't know what size it is but I've seen some for around £40-£50 dunno
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
The £40-50 ones are just set sizes for behind a hob rather than bespoke glass for under cabs, the cheap ones you mention are also quite often un-toughened, B&Q use to sell them but I've seen countless complaints about the shattering and not fit for purpose.

DON'T TELL BERTIE....

Professional Paper Hangers - Painters and Decorators - Brighton & Hove
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I would go for bedec msp then
03-06-2013, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 07:51 PM by Andrews Decorating.)
You cant prime it then paint it! You would only see the primer.

Hold on to your hats .......

Dulux oil eggshell, roll it on, saftey back the the glass with adhesive silver foil.

Sounds mental but I know a number of glass shops do it this way.
There are special resins for glass but they are a nightmare because you have to weigh out tiny quantities of powedered pigment and due to the high level of onsite failure during installation of glass products colour matching using these resins is a thucking nightmare.

Painters and Decorators in Faversham