1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cuppatea

cuppatea PPS Tradesman

I've picked up a lot of excellent advice on this forum with regards to products blazes,vipers,BM advanced and many more. I now have 4T to add to to the list. Used it for the first time on a small bedroom on a couple of previously painted very badly plastered walls. Let it down with a little water then on with a 9" taping knife. Following day no pock marks and rubs down a dream with 150g. Feathers perfectly. And even with delivery it is still cheaper than most similar products. Thanks to whoever introduced 4t to this forum.

Sprayandrun, Tomcio, Daf and 3 others like this.
  2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I concur :thumbsup:

3. AndyClassOne

AndyClassOne PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I've got a job coming up with some rough old walls I'd like to try the 4T on.

Where's the best place to get it?

4. mistcoat

Gypsum Tools - 4T

5. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks a good product, cheap.
    Does it go far?

6. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@mistcoat - I've a tape and joint job in Jan and its freezing in the place. Is 4T quick drying (like TX110) as in it doesn't dry by air alone ?

Edit : Actually, Is 4T even meant for tape and join?

7. mistcoat

It goes as far as it states in the destructions and also according to how thick you apply it, Kirk.
    I thin it down as suggested by @stevy and Peck Drywall in the States. So this will allow it to go quite a bit further. Plus if skimming, you don't need to apply as much on the second coat.

The drying is quite retarded in a cold place and on cold walls.
    If you have a joint job on and the boards are bare, then the moisture is going to be sucked out of the 4T Joint Compound.
    It is a t&j product.

RonyT, stevy and kirk like this.
  8. kirk

Cheers Tim for the price I will give it a blast at home over Christmas :thumbsup:

9. mistcoat

I will warn you,,, it's bloody heavy and get a nice bucket with tight light lid to put it in, Kirk. As it comes in a plastic bag in a box.

10. kirk

Seems to be a problem with pre mixed gear, hernia inducing :lol: I suppose that helps keep cost down coming in a plastic bag

mistcoat likes this.
  11. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

If you want to speed up the taping process,then on first fill use either easi fill 60/45 or what I use sometime if its a quick in and out job then easi fil 20.
    With that dont muck around do a tight fill then skim with the 4t:thumbsup:

Sprayandrun, mistcoat and RonyT like this.
  12. RonyT

Makes sense, thank you sir.

13. RonyT

Good info, thanks for that. :doff:

mistcoat likes this.
  14. G-Dec

G-Dec PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I’ve been using the Easifill 20 this week before coating with Sheetrock. How does the 4T compare?

15. stevy

Its just easier to apply mate,sanding you could do with a spounge if you wanted to, less pot mark and imo the finish is smoother then the Sheetrock.
    plus its cheaper mate:thumbsup:

G-Dec likes this.
  16. cuppatea

cuppatea PPS Tradesman

The job i used it on i had the advantage of leaving overnight so the drying time was not an issue but i would like to know other decs experiences of drying times using 4T. Its a very good product.
    Good shout Misty about a tub to keep it in mines still in its original plastic bag - still good though

mistcoat likes this.
  17. RonyT

I guess the fact that it says Joint Compound on the lable, should have given me a hint. Doh
    :facepalm:

Going to give it a go. Where do you get it from ?

18. AndyClassOne

AndyClassOne PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Could you use 4T for skim-filling a wall that's been previously painted?

Not sure what the paint is, possibly an eggshell.

19. mistcoat

Hahaha, they could up the font size a tad :biggrin:
    Scroll up to post #4 in this thread :thumbup:

There has been much chat about that on the Skim Coat thread. @stevy has used it over emulsion and so have I recently :thumbsup:
    Stuck tight and rubbed down nice with a 240 grit Abranet sheet on the RTS (couldn't be bothered to get the Ceros out).

Strip walls that customer couldn't be bothered to finish :biggrin:

4t_pps1.jpg

First coat of 4T. When dry, flatten off any ridges (hardly any) with 6" Purdy knife.

4t_first coat_pps.jpg

Second coat applied and rubbed with the said 240.

4t_second coat_pps.jpg

RonyT, stevy and AndyClassOne like this.
  20. stevy