1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aura exterior or zinsser allcoat.

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by Sprayandrun, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Was planning on trying aura exterior but got say alot of you seem to have problems with bubbling, i was going use it on sash window frames but not sure now, was just going sand the oil paint then either aura or stix then aura.
    But tempted to spray zinsser allcoat (bit brushmark finish by hand) instead as i know it lasts.

2. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I've been using Aura on every exterior for years and I've never had it bubble up in me.

mistcoat, Buckers and White Pele like this.
  3. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Think that was to do with dark tinted HH as a primer that @Waynetta had ? Could be completely wrong mate

Sprayandrun and ahenrypd like this.
  4. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Aura is the best exterior paint bar none, Light years ahead of any other product imo. The bubbling problem isn’t actually a problem it’s usually when it gets rained on and hasn’t cured, it bubbles up then drys out fine. It’s to do with it being microporous (I think)

RonyT likes this.
  5. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I’m now convinced that my bubbling Aura problems (at least 2 jobs now) was down to using High hide primer ( not tinted) I’ve had no issues with Aura on its own over bare timber or old prepped paint.

Tomcio, Wayners, Bobbones and 4 others like this.
  6. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Aura is a great paint but I have to agree with @Waynetta with High Hide as I have also had an issue in the past over a oil woodstain in hindsight over that surface I would of used Coverstain or Otex.

But Aura does adhere extremely well to most surfaces but Stix is a great alternative quick drying adhesion primer if required.

bitzz and RonyT like this.
  7. White Spirit

White Spirit PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Never had any problem with Aura bubbling and I’ve never felt the need to use any primer over existing surfaces as it’s self priming. I’d only use primer on bare wood

@Waynetta Wasn’t your issue Advance Gloss? Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Waynetta likes this.
  8. Waynetta

Your correct but I’ve since had a Aura job revisited that was high hide primer over sanded back to bare timber and it’s not looking good.
    Embarrassing to say the least as the customer who is a mate never mentioned it till we were out on the lash last month. He’s painted them again with Dulux :shocked:
    and says he didn’t want to upset me after seeing all the hard work I put in prepping and stripping old stain back to bare timber.
    He’s putting the blame firmly on the Ben Moore.
    I said he should have let me know and I’d have got Craig to come and look. I did this job before the advance gloss shambles.
    High hide is great in doors but won’t touch it for exterior

Tomcio, RonyT, Sprayandrun and 3 others like this.
  9. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yeah I just stick to aura straight onto bare wood on exteriors as that's what bm recommend. It's one of the main selling points to me, it being a one product system.

10. Kevin court

Kevin court East London's best kept decorating secret. Bar Member

Was it a light or dark colour @Waynetta ?

11. Waynetta

Hi Kev. It was a light green this time. Hope your well mate.

Kevin court likes this.
  12. Kevin court

Kevin court East London's best kept decorating secret. Bar Member

I'm doing ok Wayne, thanks for asking. The reason I asked was I'm using aura exterior at the moment in PM1. Used a lot of upol and spot primed in H/H on the stone work around the windows. I've done this before and haven't had any problems (as far as I know). Wonder if in the future I should just use aura?

Sprayandrun likes this.
  13. Waynetta

Personally ide say straight on with Aura. Even if you need three coats.

White Spirit and Kevin court like this.
  14. Sprayandrun

Well thats me out of trying aura outside thats too many fails im hearing for my liking.
    Is the bm ready mixed black in advance actually black anyone used it?

15. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Tbf mate it's only some one here who have used HH who have had issues . Apart from that , reading thru the thread again, I'd say 100% success with it.

My only slight niggle with it is it can drag a bit on the second coat, damp cloth on surface first tho generally helps

16. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

The blistering issues I had turned out to be nothing to do with the BM I used (Grand Entrance). I would go Aura every time, not to say the allcoat isn't a decent product but not a patch IMO on the Aura.

RonyT likes this.
  17. Sprayandrun

Not the greatest finish allcoat but i have been back to stone, plastic and wood jobs and no problems years later.
    Also does aura do a gurantee eg 15 years.

18. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

I’ve got an outside coming up that I have sand the praises of aura to . ( and I’ve never used it ) @crj ita on you mate .

looking forward to using it :
    Gonna get it matched to crowns buttermilk

crj likes this.
  19. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

I am having to go back to a job tomorrow to repaint the rendered walls of a front entrance I painted in the heat on last Friday after noon, it was drying as I put it on the wall even though it faced north. Brushmarks all over, paint was pish thin, so I didn’t want to thin it, what should I thin allcoat gloss with, water or xim/ BM extender?

20. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hi Gary... be aware that BM dont do matching , but “nearest colour”
    Apologies if you knew this