1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benjamin Moore Scuff-X in smaller tins for 2020 by American Rep at Trade show

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by Steven, Dec 2, 2019 at 6:38 AM.

1. Steven

Steven PPS Apprentice

Good News Scruff-X will be available in smaller 0.9 Litre tins in 2020

This is from an American Benjamin Moore rep I asked and pressed at the the Coventry Painting & Decorating show in November.

In America all there rooms are big and there was no demand for the smaller tin.

I had a theory they were reluctant to produce a smaller tin and that it would effect their other product line as some of their paints may be produced by other 3rd party manufacture factory's to help them out with production and would be affected if Scruff-X which really is too good a paint to do so well, but was dismissed.

In the UK he has had many requests for the smaller tins for small bathrooms and Cabinet door painting etc.
    They have already started the process and will be available at some point in 2020 which is very good news.

I have been a big fan on Benjamin Moore Advanced for the last 3 years switching from the watered down Dulux oil based satinwood.

Although more expensive which I have seen so many times on these forums, but no one takes into account it is twice as quick to apply compared to oil based and 20% quicker than other water based paints so helps pay for itself in a way.

In fact Scruff-X is even quicker, and something else I have noticed on those 6 panel doors with textured grain effect Scruff -X doesn't cause runs on the top of the panels which Advanced does and you have to go over 30 mins later to remove them.

I mentioned to the rep at the show why Scruff-X on the website is just mainly for Walls and high traffic areas and not for woodwork, doors, cabinets etc.

As its such a new product they are still trying to market it it the right way and they will be looking into recommending it for just that.

He has heard many from America using it for woodwork and cabinets and has given full blessing its really good for that.

Although it is a slightly thinner paint than Advance is doesn't quite try to level out the very smallest defects that are too shallow to fill so ideally needs electric sanding down first, compared to thicker Advanced which tries to do its best to fill in and level where possible.

The only thing with Scruff-X in standard White it looks more Whiter than the Advanced which I like to use in Hall/ stairways with the many White doors so they don't look so dominating.

I have been a Decorator for 38 years and never been so excited with BM and how well there paint looks and performs and with fossa brushes which are still the best in my opinion, it makes me want to keep Decorating for the next 10 years.

2. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

@mistcoat will be along shortly to thrash the back of your legs for writing 'Scruff-X'!! :biggrin:

Daf, Waynetta, mistcoat and 5 others like this.
  3. Ferridecs

Ferridecs PPS Time Served

Good post mate, from another BM fanboy

4. dan&alix

dan&alix PPS Apprentice

I was hoping this would happen. Just finished a new build using Scuff X satin mixed to F&B 'great white' thinking one tin was more than enough. It almost was, but now I'm left with a second tin 90% full.

Waynetta and Tomcio like this.
  5. LMDec

LMDec PPS Tradesman Bar Member

6. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Crikey, there’s so many “Scruffs” in that there post :biggrin:

Daf likes this.
  7. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Be a nice Brucey Bonus for when you only need a quart for say kitchen island cupboard doors.

YTS 83' and Painter16 like this.
  8. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Good post mate I'm ordering a gallon of scruffy X :biggrin: for a hall stairs landing I'm on at mo in chantilly lace ,love this paint,clean ,120 with sander and straight on 2 coats jobs a goodun,it's good there doing smaller tins ,but think his reason why they don't bother in USA because their rooms are all bigger than ours don't make sence to me anyway it's a good move by bm,

9. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

In the US it's deemed as a commercial paint rather than residential, hence why only sold in gallons as there is no need for quarts... I think :think:

10. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

That's what I was led to believe. I don't think BM realised quite what they had created with scuff x

Painter16 likes this.
  11. Steven

Steven PPS Apprentice

With scuff-X the correct way to spell it!

I often say to customers about how slippery and friction less it is and they all seem interested in feeling it and saying - what is that, weird !

Though its not so good on banister hand rails going up the stairs you sort of grab on and your hand slips down, so have to grab harder than normal.
    Reminds me of those youtube videos when the Chinese first experience escalators and comically slide and fall over in amusing different ways :sarcastic:

Sprayandrun likes this.
  12. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@RonyT thats what I was told too mate.

Awesome news anyway, it’s my go to paint for wood so even better to be able to buy in quarts for smaller jobs

RonyT likes this.
  13. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

If you like a fondle, just wait till you try BMs CENTURY paint , a suede feel!

RonyT likes this.
  14. Fingers

Fingers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

All well and good having it in smaller tins but the price needs to reflect this also.

Painter16 likes this.
  15. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@RonyT already knew about this as the answers are 10 minutes away at his shop.
    Good post @Steven