1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST coverage durable white

Discussion in 'Coating it up - What's the best paint for...?' started by Swilley, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Swilley

Swilley PPS Apprentice

I need a decent priced durable white.

cost needs to be reasonable due to job pricing and quantity needed.

Tikkurila optiva white?

I have never found a decent white for coverage.

I need a definitive answer ASAP please !

Benjamin Moore is priced too dear. So please give other options!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2020
  2. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Optiva white is good but the issue is you need a primer if going over vinyl or contract as I found it doesn't stick well.

Coverage wise bm, why not try ultra spec?

3. Swilley

Swilley PPS Apprentice

Thanks, I don’t mind thinning it down a bit so it bonds better to a more porous paint such as vinyl or contract

4. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

one acrylic primer like the layland then one top coat. I like valspar trade which is durable. Buy in 10lt tubs but add some water and use 18 white dove then cross roll to catch it in one coat on ceilings. I do 2 coats but I'm not cost cutting.
    £40 a tub I think.
    A bit of a sheen as with all durables and will craze over caulk so don't without primer.
    Or 2 coats without primer but I go the acrylic route if I have filler to cover.
    It's good stuff and a good price.
    Second would be optiva 5 which is more Matt looking but you must prime as specified.
    Oh. do tell all how you wash it out big roller:sarcastic: assuming you use.

That's me helping move you on with job. Hope you stay with us here. It's s good forum..

Tomdec and Rdubya like this.
  5. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Tried that but it's still not great.

Tomcio likes this.
  6. Wayners

Durables don't like porous surfaces. My lounge I put beeline sealer over contract emulsion then valspar. I phoned beeline to check that's ok some time ago. It hung wet but dried nice. It's the sheen on durables that some don't like but I wanted that.

7. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

Optivia white over a coat of joncrly .
    1 x joncrul
    2 x coats optivia white
    Looks good and is tough

Rdubya and Bobbones like this.
  8. cuppatea

cuppatea PPS Tradesman

I found that most durable are a little wanting in white but one to avoid is Johnstones durable matt - the white is absolute s**t no opacity at all and flashing. The optiva 5 is probaly a good choice. I recently used a mcpherson durable matt coloured not white and it was decent at a very good price. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Swilley likes this.
  9. Charles007

Charles007 PPS Apprentice

I've been using B&q Good home durable matt in brilliant white. It's actually the best I've used for coverage, opacity and touches up without flashing. You'll thank me later..

Painter16, Swilley and Bobbones like this.
  10. LMDec

LMDec PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Optiva 5 white is pretty bad opacity too!

Swilley likes this.
  11. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

@LMDec
    I found it fairly decent once primed . See you got issues with tikurila though mate . What don’t ya like

12. LMDec

To be fair never primed before went over existing. So will do with any whites in future.

It’s been more the issues with delivery. 3/4 times with next day that they have messed up. Also gone off white helmi as have gone back to jobs a few weeks later and found it to look a bit off colour.

I do like the Optiva 3 & 5 can’t knock those.

Gary scott likes this.
  13. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Was it Tikkurila's fault or the Courier, Lewis?

14. Wayners

Anyone go directly through Edinburgh Vs reps for Tikkurila. Seems too much messing about especially if they are busy. I know what I want to order and get it sorted as quickly as I can. Can take a few days to get sorted. I can't be bothered

mistcoat likes this.
  15. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yep, I do.

Wayners likes this.
  16. Swilley

Swilley PPS Apprentice

I sure hope you aren’t joking. Because I’m about to buy 50 litres from your recommendation. Never thought I’d have the courage to pick up paint from b&q.

17. LMDec

I’ve had issues with both mate. I use a different courier now who have been spot on but it’s still money in their pocket!

mistcoat likes this.
  18. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@LMDec Try and buy from Edinburgh as @Wayners asked above.
    I was ordering over the phone but just order via the website now.

Wayners and Bobbones like this.
  19. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

B and q black 10 litre tin is not bad at all i found

20. Wayners

@mistcoat

Didn't know there was a Tikkurila website i can order from. Also didn't know I could log in. I have now though and updated my contact details. How bizarre. I study that later.. Thanks

mistcoat likes this.