1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Dolphin 60 day Ultra Premium Washi Tape

Discussion in '"TooledUp" - Tools/Materials of the Trade.' started by mistcoat, Aug 2, 2020.

1. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Has anyone tried this tape yet from @MegMPB
    Blue Dolphin Ultra Premium Washi Tape.

I have started using and I think it is a winner.
    Now, I do like the Fossa and tesa but this just seems a bit different. I saw #JohnnytheHappyPainter using it over in Texas and he got me onto it.

I think this is going to be my go to tape :yes:

#bluedolphinwashitape
    #painterstape

3 spires and Buckers like this.
  2. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Oh yes, I was given a few rolls of this tape to trial by @MegMPB about 2 years ago, it was great to use.
    Really clean lines, didnt shrink or curl when used for spraying and removed without and bleed or tearing. All of which I reported back to Andy, saying I would definitely buy that tape if he stocked it.

Dont quote me but I think he said he couldnt get the price right from the suppliers in the states, so wasnt going to stock it, even sent me a few extra rolls he had left over.
    Haven't used MPB for a while, no other reason than I've needed things they haven't stocked but always got on well with Andy and had great service, I'll be ordering that if its stocked for sure.

mistcoat likes this.
  3. mistcoat

Nice one, @Buckers
    I’ll have to check he’s going to continue stocking it then.
    I’ll chat up the owner/distributor too on Insta if needed.

Buckers likes this.
  4. Buckers

Trying to remember what I used it on, sure it was a kitchen unit spray job, around the wall and floor tiles, which were a dark grey rough grout and around upvc windows.:scratchhead:

Have you used it to tape freshly painted woodwork @mistcoat? I'm trying to recall where I used the left over rolls he sent me, think it was on some windows, so cant recall taping woodwork before doing walls with it.

mistcoat and Painter16 like this.
  5. mistcoat

I have only used it on paintwork that I painted the previous day. Not on paint that I had painted say 1-3 hours prior, like you possibly could with BM.
    One area of paint lift, but that was probably down to me in all fairness.
    Same old, same old. Lack of prep or dust removal no doubt. Otherwise there would be more failure around the through lounge.

It was great on some glazed doors recently. I wished I'd took some photos. I used a mix of Fossa Yellow and the Blue Dolphin painters tape. The Blue Dolphin performed outstandingly with no bleed anywhere.
    The Fossa Yellow was an extremely close second with around five areas of paint bleed. Also with the Fossa, it was a bit tougher to remove than the Blue Dolphin painters tape, which removed extremely well.

The tapes were on for three days as I was jumping on other things during the job.

ahenrypd, Buckers and RonyT like this.
  6. LMDec

LMDec PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Good to know, I’ve been after a new tape as tesa yellow has let me down a few times recently & starting a big refurb in a few weeks.

Buckers, ahenrypd and mistcoat like this.
  7. Buckers

Yep, I had some glazed doors in the kitchen I did and the dolphin ultra performed easilly aswell as the kip orange I normally use but at a lot cheaper cost. If it will perform on woodwork painted the day before I wont bother with any other tape at all.

ahenrypd and mistcoat like this.
  8. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Does the Dolphin UPWT bond to it self good when overlapping? Does it stays there or lifts up after some time?

ahenrypd likes this.
  9. mistcoat

Have to say, on the skirting corners where it overlapped most, it stayed fast. I reckon it would hold whilst spraying too, even with airless.

Stayed well on the corners on the door glazing too where it overlapped.

*Edit to add.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Tomcio and ahenrypd like this.
  10. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Thank you for the reply @mistcoat.
    I'm not hesitant to try it on. My only local source of yellow Frog tape is exhausted.

mistcoat likes this.
  11. mistcoat

You're only issue is maybe the cost of postage from MyPB getting it over there. Unless you have a supplier there already.

Tomcio likes this.