1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BM High Hide and top coats question.

Discussion in 'Coating it up - Help what's the best paint for...?' started by Tomcio, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Do you know?
    High Hide Drying time: At the temperature of +25° C and relative air humidity 50% the paint dries approx. 1 hour. At mentioned weather conditions the next coat apply after min. 3 hours. Top coats from the Benjamin Moore & Co. offer apply after min. 24 hours after FRESH START® HIGH-HIDINIG ALL PURPOSE PRIMER 046 application.
    @BenjaminMooreUK is this 24 h in all circumstances or only when blocking tannin etc.?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Tomcio

So for how long do you leave HH before top coats if stain blocking is not the case good people? Primed over pre cat factory lacquer at the moment and don't want any problems.

3. BenjaminMooreUK

BenjaminMooreUK PPS Master Craftsman PPS Sponsor

Hi Tomcio,
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Which BM top coats are you referring to regarding the 24 hour guidance?
    Thanks

Tomcio and mistcoat like this.
  4. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Glad it wasn't just me :scratchhead:

Tomcio likes this.
  5. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I use Stix Primer as an U/C and there have been times when I have top coated with Advance gloss after One Hour

Tomcio likes this.
  6. Tomcio

Thank you for the reply.
    It's Scuffx and Aura interior.
    Do I have to wait 24 h, with top coating, after priming hard non porous surfaces like old existing coatings and new factory pre cat primers with High Hide?

7. Tomcio

I'm embarrassed.
    The 24 h Drying time is mentioned on the data sheet from April 2015 that can be found on the Polish Benjamin Moore website.
    On the UK and US BM websites no such information exist and the recommended recoating is 2h.

So I asked my supplier MRCB and the answer was when going over factory primers make sure that they're not cellulose based and wait 24 h before finishing with Scuffx.

Peter Humphreys likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

At Bm hq day 2h was quoted but you need to use your judgment. You need air blowing and dry with warm air like in summer. Maybe some of us have gone on quicker than 2 hours with good drying conditions :whistle: . I was spraying trim with uc yesterday and it seemed to be dry in 30 mins. I nearly always leave an hour after I think it's dry, so the trim yesterday would have been 1.5 hours before I'd top off. Tin quotes are only a guide. What dose Irish BM site say :hysterical:

Tomcio likes this.
  9. BenjaminMooreUK

BenjaminMooreUK PPS Master Craftsman PPS Sponsor

Hi @Tomcio
    Oh that explains it........we couldn’t find any reference to 24hrs on anything...... we’ll have to nag the Polish distributor to update their datasheets!!!
    Helen

Tomcio likes this.
  10. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

IMO absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. You diligently searched legit advice and then researched on top of that. Far from embarrassed I’d say it makes you a rare specimen of great diligence @Tomcio :doff:
    (PS You did say you would send me a fat cheque if I put the above on pps... I’ll PM my bank details instead of a cheque :hysterical::hysterical: )

Waynetta, Gary scott and Tomcio like this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

I was at Bletchley Park last week. The polls were the ones that started cracking the Enigma in the 30s then shared information with us and got the ball rolling. Clever bunch.
    Maybe one of @Tomcio relatives

Waynetta and Tomcio like this.
  12. mistcoat

I’m not sure I believe that.
    Let’s have a Pole about it :biggrin:

13. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Who will Czech the results?

14. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Let’s not Russian to anything

15. Hang it all

Hang it all PPS Tradesman Bar Member

I dont Bolivia all making rubbish country jokes today

16. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

It doesn’t hurt to Peru s a few while you’re Chilean out.

17. Kevin court

Kevin court East London's best kept decorating secret. Bar Member

Some of you could make a Korea out of these country puns.
    For me I'm gonna Finnish now and Guyana stop this malarkey.

18. mistcoat

Belieze for the love of God, can we stop all this. I'd Haiti to see this thread go off tropic.

19. Kevin court

Kevin court East London's best kept decorating secret. Bar Member

Did you say this thread is going off tropic @mistcoat. I don't Bolivia. Oh schitt that one's been done. Iran out of ideas now.

20. mistcoat

@Kevin court Indeed I did say off tropic :biggrin:
    Haven't time to explain why as I Moscow now :wave:

Hang it all likes this.