1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brushes for Oil based

Discussion in '"TooledUp" - Tools/Materials of the Trade.' started by 3 spires, Jun 30, 2020.

1. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I have a job with oil eggshell....yes I know I am not looking forwards to it but I wanted to ask on recommendations for a good brush that doesn't need breaking in! it's mainly for barn doors, so I was thinking a 3" and a 1".

In the old days it was Hamilton and Acorn but I have been told the Hammys shed more hair than a wet dog!

Going back to the dark side hey!

2. KLHTim

KLHTim PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I have to say i used cdc pofessional synthetic brushes on a contract which demanded oil! I know a strange choice but they were recommended by another deccie so i gave em a go. 3" & 1" was in the box.

3 spires likes this.
  3. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

......and the result was?

4. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Used to love ‘Monarch’ Elite for my oil work, they were good brushes, held their shape and could were in my opinion, ready to go straight off the shelf.

5. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I get on well with Arroworthy Rembrandt. Using the sash and 2inch for some sash windows and painting witb Sandtex flexigloss.

Bobbones and 3 spires like this.
  6. KLHTim

KLHTim PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sorry... that would have helped! Really good... nice to use, no brush marks using Crown Full Gloss. Easy to clean, should you want to. Kept shape, cheap. Surprised me really so id use again if im dragged back into that smelly sticky world!

& on offer at cdc at the moment by chance!

3 spires likes this.
  7. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I'll back this good man below on his recommendation... all the way! :fullten:

8. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Purdy monarch elite or Hamilton perfection synthetic seem to fair well in oil.

9. ahenrypd

Another brush I recently tried in oil was a BM chinex poly blend which felt great. (Don't tell Craig).

mistcoat likes this.
  10. puffa

puffa PPS Tradesman

Only using Corona Archers for oil.. and water based. They seem to swing both ways for me.
    I found all the Red/Gold Corona range to be excellent in w/b and only stumbled on their ability in oil out of curiosity.
    Use them for Coverstain and oil gloss, too. I think they're remarkable.
    Apart from my 7" flat wall brush all other brushes remain idle.

3 spires likes this.
  11. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

My memory is going.. we’re the monarch elites the blue ones? If so yeah, good for oil.:spew:

mistcoat and 3 spires like this.
  12. 3 spires

Are they the Blue or Red ones @White Pele?

I thought the blue was just for WB?

13. White Pele

The blue ones were a stiffer brush, the XL Elite were softer, nice spring in them as well, but not to much to cause paint flecks pinging everything. 7D5B7B9C-4584-425C-835E-053957CFF766.png

Bobbones, RonyT and 3 spires like this.
  14. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Definitely my go to 4 years ago on site would have been a Purdy Monarch Elite.
    Recently used a 2" viper in Crown satin (oil) that was okay but i do like the Nour Heritage in oil.

15. 3 spires

I have Crown sending me a price on the Purdys tomorow, so I will go with those, I do have Corona Archers but can't convince myself to put them in oil!

Thanks All :doff:

16. ahenrypd

Brought a purdy elite xl and monarch to try today. The elite I found way to soft to do anything apart from lay off. The monarch although far to big for windows very good for large areas.
    I would be quite happy with the rembrandt sash for cutting in smaller areas and the monarch.

17. White Pele

Have a look at mypaintbrush as well mate, think they are hard to beat on price.

3 spires likes this.
  18. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Id still go hamilton perfection natural bristle.

19. Teho

Teho PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Omega

20. ahenrypd

Used to use the Omega varnish brushes for oil and loved them.