1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning rollers in a washing machine - warning.

Discussion in 'Take a Break - off topic stuff.' started by Daf, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

243D4E17-E0C3-4E55-A461-856AD1E65275.jpeg

Hello lads, I thought I would post this, I bought a new washing machine in May this year, then I saw a post by @barry when he used to put roller with paint in the washing machine, great I thought, never done that!

So the new washer was loaded with around 8 rollers mostly green, and off it went, cane out brilliant and smelling lovely!

I did this a few time and last week, it broke down! F4 was the indicator saying a problem, called the service people and today, they fixed it, it was the heater, covered in green scale, more like green paint
    :sarcastic:

Here is the heating element pictured.
    Be warned in case this happens to you!

So I’m blaming Barry:friends:

Jason Gunter, Tomcio, Wayners and 2 others like this.
  2. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

It looks more like you’ve been boiling up porridge in your machine @Daf .

Tomcio and Daf like this.
  3. bitzz

bitzz PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Must be Dulux as the colours do not match, did the engineer tell you it was within tolerance. :hysterical:

White Pele, bagshot, Tomcio and 2 others like this.
  4. Daf

Poxy phone, i meant CLEANING!
    What that paint?

5. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Oops best ask our resident Guru about the best way to get compo off the bloke who advised you to take this course of action just ask @barry I am sure he will give you some sound advice.
    :jester:

bagshot, Tomcio, Iain79 and 2 others like this.
  6. bitzz

It masquarades as a paint one day it will cross the finishing line and eventually make it, but not in our time though. :biggrin:

Daf likes this.
  7. bitzz

Box of matches. :hysterical:

Tomcio, mistcoat and 3 spires like this.
  8. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Daf .... hiya. I’ve done it for 10 years in previous house, machine still fine as we left. This home, 6 years in a machine that was 5 years old when I started.Still going perfectly.
    Some queries.... 8 sleeves FFS!!!! I pop them in daily ,even if it’s same paint in the morning. So it’s 2-3 . How the heck do you get 8 in???
    Heater element.? What temp do you wash at ? I’m 30* only, ever.
    Green paint my arse.! Looks like heavily stained lime scale . There is no wb paint in the world that would adhere to any substrate in a moving water environment.
    Someone posted on PPS that a mate tried it with oil paint. !!!
    To all users of my system, crack on. But not 8 at a time FFS!

I’ve just popped back to post one. That element has practically dissolved . Never in a month of Sunday’s is that due to emulsion paint.
    May till now, less than 6 months. Hope it was a G’tee job ??

9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Thing is, what happens when you wash your brushes under the tap with water that is a bit too hot to wash vinyl silk or soft sheen? It goes all snotty. I bet that is what's happened to that element. Then it gets cold and it sort of welds the paint onto it.

Just in case any of you sue @barry PPS would like to refer you to our rules page.

Validity of Posts & No Obligation to Monitor.

It is impossible for the staff or the owner of this forum to confirm the validity of posts.
    Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages expresses the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner.

painterspitstop.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

bagshot, bitzz, Tomcio and 4 others like this.
  10. barry

Too hot, paint going snotty? I demand a recount. Does he boil things in the wretched machine ?

Puma and mistcoat like this.
  11. mistcoat

I'd like a recount too actually and put it to the people :biggrin:

Daf likes this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

I just scrape my rollers to get paint out. Quick swill under tap and leave over night in bucket with some water and washing powder. Spin dry in morning and bung in van. Job done.

13. mistcoat

No you don't!!!
    You must have invented some sort of machinery to do that :biggrin:

[​IMG]

RonyT, Wayners, Tomcio and 2 others like this.
  14. barry

And that is what I’m avoiding pal. 8Messy scraping out of paint. into what? Do what with scrapped paint ? Swill, buckets, spinning ( over/into what , to 100% catch the spin off ..? )
    CF with... open a little door, drop of machine detergent, poke sleeves out of the plastic shopping bag into hole. Shut door. Chuck bag. Press go. Perfectly clean and only damp at finish .
    Your way.... say you had a v dark colour. After your way could you use next day in the palest tints, has to be no. My way, you could use in white !!

Daf likes this.
  15. Daf

The machine is under warranty so he put a new one in, seems really weird it’s gone so quick? I know we have hard water, but that just too quick.

My wife thinks someone has used it and sent it back and now we have it, but it was all wrapped and sealed?

mistcoat likes this.
  16. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Yes it was @barry old washing machine...
    :hysterical:

Daf, Irish Painter, Puma and 5 others like this.
  17. CraigBrooksDecorating

CraigBrooksDecorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

We had a Samsung and had it repaired several times in a year before giving up on it, heating element and door lock every time. They blamed limescale too.

After a lot of hassle refunded and replaced with Miele. So far so good.

I still wash rollers in the machine, have done it for years, independently of Barry I must say. I think some machines are just poorly made, the Samsung door used to leek a little and if you pulled at it there was a gap at the top and bottom.

Daf likes this.
  18. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I`ve always put my rollers on a cold wash and the reason of thinking behind that is that i do not want to delaminate the material from the sleeve,worked so far for me

But im on my third washing machine in two years :huh:

Daf likes this.
  19. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Noam knows Bar Member

I tried the washing machine, the sound of the handles banging against the drum was deafening :censored:

:biggrin:

LMDec, Painter16, barry and 2 others like this.
  20. Daf

Sorry I forgot about the “washing machine saga”

I used a 30 wash, I’m really anxious to do it again, it when the rollers come out, with all that comfort on, the smell in my van it wonderful!
    So as it’s still under warranty, I’ll still do it and see! Haha

CraigBrooksDecorating likes this.