1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust Extractor ratings?

Discussion in '"TooledUp" - Tools/Materials of the Trade.' started by kirk, May 15, 2020.

1. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hey all,

Following from the thread dust Extractors
    I think I may purchase myself one but I wanna get the best value for money I can. And I noticed that some "extractors" are just vacuums with a HEPA rating like my Henry. So is that suitable or do you need to invest the extra for M class? Or L? And what's the real difference except cost in the real world scenario?

2. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Oh no, can of worms to be opened here!

3 spires and Waynetta like this.
  3. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Me personally would buy the best you can afford. I used a Henry with hepa Bag when I first started then bought a Fein Dustex 25. That cost just over £200 and lasted for 5 years. Just went up a notch this month and bought a Festool midi 1 CTL for £355. Added the blue tooth remote for £38 and feel it’s money well spent. Great bit of kit. No need for M class unless you work on Site.

3 spires and kirk like this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

I thought the difference between L and M class is a bag full indicator?

As for vacuum one with power takeoff but how much do you want to spend? £90 will get you running ok or do you want something around the £350 mark

kirk likes this.
  5. kirk

@Waynetta I do like the looks of the festool, my mates got the older Midi great bit of kit. But most places seem to be about £450 for one now and it comes with things like the Bluetooth? Which I can't see why you need for a plug in Sander assumed there more for battery tools?

@Wayners I suppose I just don't want to pay "premium" tax :hysterical:

I want a machine that does it's job and doesn't break. I was originally thinking of a mirka kit from mpb but after the thread with everyone's breaking I think I would avoid. A festool midi and a ets 150 seems to be about £850 which is to expensive for my taste. Quite like the looks of the metabo Sanders but I didn't know if you could just keep rigging it to a HEPA system or if you really need M class etc

6. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@kirk - Nilsfisk are great. Use their bags and filters ( not rinky dink knock offs). I’ve had two in constant use for 2-3 years and you could eat your dinner off the insides. Filters are great and the suction is relentless up until 3/4 bag full.

As for value for money, they are probably the best £150 I’ve spent on kit.

3 spires, Tomdec and kirk like this.
  7. Wayners

kirk likes this.
  8. kirk

@Wayners I have been tempted to buy a festool ct15 but it's only HEPA rated. Hell of a lot cheaper though

9. Wayners

I don't fully understand the rating. What is wrong with the HEPA rating?
    This vac

I have the Festool CTL 26 E AC

Wouldn't bother with the auto clean again as that is always switched off. It's a bit big to carry about. I use my titan vac for some smaller jobs standing ect.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  10. kirk

@Wayners I'm assuming nothing is wrong with HEPA but it's the same rating as a Henry hoover etc and I wasn't sure why you need more like L class extraction. It's almost science

I still use a mirka handy on my Henry at the moment and I don't feel like there's any dust about and the Henry doesn't really give me an issue but if I'm gonna buy a upgrade I wanted to make sure it was a upgrade?

11. Wayners

My Henry used to overheat especially in summer. Also with drywall the suction would decrease after 10 mins because bag would clog. It's fine for RTS on woodwork and small drywall sanding and that's is. If your sanding areas of filler get something better made for the job. You need constant good suction which helps keep mesh clear and better sanding finish

12. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I found the Henry clogged up very quickly compared to a proper extractor. The blue tooth thing is really handy, being able to turn it on from the nozzle instead of walking back to the machine so you can hoover up dust in crevices etc I find is a boon and I use it loads.

kirk likes this.
  13. kirk

To be fair I have noticed clogging in the mesh on the handy Sander just assumed that it clogs didn't think to much into it. I suppose I just don't want to buy something and not be happy with it the same as anyone I guess

14. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

A dust less system is 100% the best thing you will purchase. Imagine how much brush mate revolutionised the game back in the 2000s times 10. As for me plenty of research into what works best for you. When I help my mate out he uses a thiery(Henry vac) with his deros and its a pain in the arse to keep having to turn the vac on before starting the sander(1st world problems I know). But the dustex which Waynetta recommended was absolute over priced schitt when I had it clunky heavy bulky and didn't really extract much for me. The nilfisk I have now kicks the schitt out of it and its a fraction of the price... If I had to buy again and had the budget I did when fein ripped me off with the dustex I'd get the festool model with some insurance.

ajmdecorators and Gazza like this.
  15. Wayners

Worth phoning sales rep for chat before you buy vac. Make surely you aren't buying wrong machine for you and may get a demonstration. I know mirka reps will let you try one. Some of the festool midi machines weren't up to the job with drywall dust as not rated for long periods

16. kirk

Yeah definitely agree on not buying wrong :hysterical:

It's a mine field of gear out there to choose from at different price points. Festool seems to be the most popular choice. A lot of extractors look very similar to each other

From,metabo,Bosch all look similar with slight differences.

Slightly off topic but has anyone noticed the metabo SXE 150 looks exactly the same as a mirka deros?

17. Wayners

metabo and mirka are part of same company.
    [​IMG]

3 spires and kirk like this.
  18. kirk

@Wayners that would make perfect sense.

Seem to find the metabo a bit cheaper so wonder if it's a better buy

19. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Fully ageee my old midi sucks....ha ha no it doesn't suck with fine drywall and lots of filler but I am sure I saw online that they got over this with the new model with some type of unblocking mode, is this right @Waynetta?

Waynetta and mistcoat like this.
  20. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

The Starmix / Metabo / Bosch were all variants of the same model when I bought them. They have a feature which whacks the filters so they never block up with filler dust. It can be switched off it gets annoying. The Bosch Gas 35 (12kg) is definitely worth a look:

Waynetta, mistcoat, 3 spires and 2 others like this.