1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Government support grant

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by Wayners, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

Covid support self employed... A staggering 800,000 got until Monday, midnight, the last time they can apply for Self Employment Grant 1. Another grant coming but you can only apply if you claimed the 1st one. This one.. It's a no brainer.

Crazy some people. I know someone that hasn't claimed and won't. Can't have a sensible conversation about it with them....whatever.

Just check if your eligible here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme#eligible

The government are supporting you (paying wage) while you stayed home or worked in lockdown.. The only catch is you pay tax on this money as if you were working. Same as everyone else like my mate that works in collage... No different...

2. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

2nd grant coming in August? And think its 70% this time as opposed to 80% last time round?

3. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sprayandrun and PhillyThePainter like this.
  4. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I claimed it. Had abit of time off with corona and my supply chain was effected by stock being thin on the ground or having to pay for it shipped. I'll be claiming the 2nd one too just need to know when I can register for that one.

Sprayandrun likes this.
  5. Wayners

@grumpyvandriver
    Looks like they changed that then. Maybe. That's good news. You can claim second grant regardless of first

Sprayandrun likes this.
  6. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I was considering claiming second grant but tbh I'm busy and have money coming in. It might all go to schitt over the next weeks if we go into lockdown again, but my accountant said the second grant applies to this specific current time we are in right now so if you have money coning in and you get investigated you'll have to pay it back, at the v least. No good saying you got it 'in case' things change.

Not particulalry my opinion, just repeating what he said

Sprayandrun and ahenrypd like this.
  7. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

It's hard to know if to claim for the second grant or not, I mean surely they aren't going to investigate every person to double check, and just claw it back from all of us later on it taxes etc, but on the other hand if they do you could be up the creek if your working. A lot of it is matter of opinion I guess,

I know one guy who worked full time still in the first grant and claimed it and went and brought a boat, is it worth having morals in that situation?

8. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

He could be up ship creek..:whistle::facepalm:
    Seriously though.. It’s a tuff one.. my business is getting back on track but still losing the odd day due to kid commitment..

G-Dec and crj like this.
  9. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

They said you could work even if you claimed it,even if you’ve worked last few months who’s to say your going to work next few months ,might need it then ,what does it matter what months you use it for ,who knows what’s going to happen next few months regards work ,not us or the gov,

10. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I've heard this a couple of times now, if they investigate you then you may be in trouble. For one, HMRC can barely cope at the best of times and secondly, what and how are they going to prove anything?
    They have said this will be the final grant. If this kicks off again in winter then we are all in the schitt as we won't be able to do exterior work.

bruntonpasty, Bobbones and Painter16 like this.
  11. crj

I think the point is if there is another pandemic then we should cross that bridge etc and only use this one now if you need it. Whether you believe there will be any help if there is another pandemic is an entirely different matrer though.

I guess @Designanddecor in the unlikely but technically still possible chance you ever got investigated by hmrc, and you have had the 'normal (or roughly comparable to last year's tax return) amount going into your account for the current period, then in their eyes you wouldn't necessarily be entitled to it.

As I said above, I think if you were to state that you were to claim it 'in case ' things got worse than it may not be a valid excuse. Of course, I don't know your exact circumstances so you may well be entitled to it. It's a v grey area and unchartered territory. Just repeating what my accountant told me

Bobbones likes this.
  12. KLHTim

KLHTim PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Im claiming it! The first one was needed as id been on my uppers for 7 weeks & the second one will put me back into a better position all round. If this virus hadnt hit id be in a better postion than what iv earnt & both grants put together!

13. crj

It's a good point that actually . I've not paid into my pension or mortgage for 3 months and have some other debts that I had a break from but they're still there accruing interest so I am technically 'behind' where I would normally be .

Bobbones likes this.
  14. KLHTim

Thats the nub of it! We didnt have an accident or become complacent we were forced to stop therefore we have the right to accept the help offered. Most of us would love to be able to charge for lost days when customers go ill or we get rained off... this to me is just restoring the balance for once.

15. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

I couldnt get the first and they wont give me the second. I took a lump sum from my own personal pension pot last year and it basically means I don't qualify for any help. Things are getting busy now so I'm not so worried but it seems a bit unfair that I culdnt get the initial help just because I used my own money for something - and paid tax on it. What peeves me more is after all this, our tax will go up to replenish the government coffers even though some of us haven't benefitted from it.

CheshireDecorator and Painter16 like this.
  16. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How did that work didn’t know that had anything to do with it ,thought it went on your earnings over last 3 years

17. Wayners

@greenpainting
    Have you spoken to your accountant about it. There was articles about people who met the criteria but were turned down by the eligibility checker. Maybe the majority of your income was not from self employment last year so that was the reason. Hate to think your missing out and clock is ticking

18. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

These only one thing I want to know.

Who is this Grant? He must be absolutely minted

I’ll get me coat....

bitzz, grumpyvandriver and barry like this.
  19. KLHTim

Thats chit & wrong! The only criteria was that you had been affected! Id look into that mate as your as vulnerable as the rest of us & who knows what you used that money for, it was yours, earnt fair & square, to do as you wished!

20. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

So the grant is 70% of turnover for the year? Free - pay later as they overtax us all in the future.
    So whats the loan one called?
    Just so i know my options, i have been working but still a few thousand out of pocket at least.