1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand painted kitchen coming up - BM Advance or Scuff-X?

Discussion in 'Coating it up - What's the best paint for...?' started by mistcoat, Jul 20, 2019.

1. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I have priced already on this kitchen but, they have changed their mind on me using Tikkurila Helmi 10 (I know, I just fancied going back to what I used to use to appreciate what is around now), and they are happy to pay the difference in price of their new choice - BM - Caldwell Green.

I have used @BenjaminMooreUK Advance on kitchens, but still to use Scuff-X.
    Convince me folks; that Scuff-X should be my choice in the current heat we have and that I can achieve a nice brushmark free finish.

What brushes would you be using for Scuff-X to achieve a brushmark free finish?
    I have some BM Paint Extender and also some XIM.
    What finish and paint (Advance or Scuff-X,,, maybe Aura) has achieved the best results for you, that your customers adored in the BM range?

I'll tag @Dellboy in on this as I know he loves his Scuff-X eggshell and Purdy brushes.

2. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Scuff x especially in darker colours gives an unbeatable finish imo mate. Always find whites difficult no matter what the paint is

crj and mistcoat like this.
  3. mistcoat

4. Dellboy

Dellboy PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Nothing but Scuff-X eggshell for me on kitchens, love the dam stuff.

So easy to use, drying time is extremely fast in this heat so I now always add a good drop of the extender, if fact I use it every time now, hot or cold as it just flows better with it.

The look and feel of it is second to none, it is just fantastic on kitchens, plus unless it’s in white or a very dark colour it will go in two.

Just a shame you can’t get it in a smaller size @BenjaminMooreUK :handbat:

As to which brush to use, well you know my answer already.

Puma, Sprayandrun, crj and 5 others like this.
  5. mistcoat

@Dellboy I do know your brush choice and thank you, Neil :thumbsup:
    Are you getting your Stix tinted to your kitchen colour (as close as possible) or are you still using Isofix as your base/first coat?

Sprayandrun likes this.
  6. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Getting good results with Scuff-x & Pal Legend,s. Got to be the only synthetic brushes that get better with age?
    Absolutely crying out for it in smaller size too!

Waynetta, mistcoat and bagshot like this.
  7. Dellboy

I use Stix when ever I can as a primer, have had a few tinted which does help, for all other jobs I use Isofix, and get Holmans to tint that to as close as they can.

Now I know I will get told off for saying or doing this, mixing brands/makes of paint, but my last kitchen was a Tulip wood, un-primed and as it was going into a deep blue colour and I had some Helmi primer in a dark blue, I used 2 coats of that then Scuff-X on top, hell’s teeth that looked good and so solid after just one topcoat and the Scuff-X went on like a dream.

Unless I hear back from anyone as to why I shouldn’t be doing this, for all my dark colours from now on this is the way I’m going.

8. Cavendish

Cavendish PPS Master Craftsman

@Dellboy

Interested to read your expertise for this type of work, do you spray any coats or solely brush work, any mini roller involved to?

9. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Think I mentioned this to Craig when I was doing the Wilmslow showroom, He said it was to do with scuff x being a more industrial paint so in America they don’t see the need to do it in quarts. I may have got it a little wrong here but I think that’s what was said! I do agree I would love quarts of scuff x tho :yes:

YTS 83' likes this.
  10. Designanddecor

Designanddecor PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I get the feeling that BM didn't realise quite what they had made with Scuff X. They sell it as a commercial scuff resistant paint but I use it mainly for its open time, finish and drying time.

bagshot, Bobbones, YTS 83' and 2 others like this.
  11. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Not joking ... a wild thought I may live to regret as I get duffed up....I’ll tag Craig too @BenjaminMooreUK . There is obviously a need for quarts / Scuff-X here. Could Shaw Paints not import some empty quarts cans with a normal shipment and decant as required? A possible problem .... maybe the tinting machine couldn’t be programmed? But if we can get a man on the moon , anything is possible.
    Puts tin hat on and awaits abuse.....:spew:

Sprayandrun, Bobbones, Tomcio and 3 others like this.
  12. mistcoat

Thanks for your help everyone especially @Dellboy

They didn’t really go, so we won’t get quarts of Scuff-X :biggrin:

13. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

They couldn't go course the the moon is made of cheese don't you lot know anything,:no:,as regards to scuff-X I love it gives such a lovely finish,I have some exstender will try a drop in it see how makes much diff :thumbsup:

mistcoat likes this.
  14. Dellboy

The only thing I spray is golf balls all over the course :blush:, 99% of my work is done purely by brush, the only time I use a small 4 inch roller is when applying Isofix or if I have a large run of tall units or end panels, then I apply using a 5mm Microfibre roller, then laid off by brush.

@barry , they have plenty of empty quart cans, had a few of them myself, so thats not the problem.
    I have asked Craig a few times about this, but if I remember rightly :think: the problem is getting the tins filled with the right base to the exact weight and level every time, until this can be done they will not sell it in that size, it would only take one slight difference in the amount of base in the tin and the colour match would be out, and as we all know, one of the good things about BM paints, is the colour is spot on every time.

The mixing machines have the formula for quarts but not the bases.

15. BenjaminMooreUK

BenjaminMooreUK PPS Master Craftsman PPS Sponsor

Good morning all,
    I'm very impressed by some of the answers on this thread. You have been listening :winky:
    Yes, unfortunately Scuff-X is still not produced in a quart size and is unlikely to be any time soon. It's our policy when it comes to bases to do all filling in house to ensure accuracy is maintained. With our pigment strengths it has to be 100%.
    We will continue to put the case forward.
    Thanks

Robjames92, Dellboy, YTS 83' and 4 others like this.
  16. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I'm a bit late to the scuff x party, having only used the matt on walls last year.

I bought a couple of gallons for previous job as using the xvlp a lot and a few on here , mainly @Daf and @3 spires say how good it is to spray .

It does spray really well, better than advance and of course it dries quicker too.

What really surprised me is how well it brushes. I solely used advance these last two years and couldn't see me shifting from it as I rate it that much. Think I'm starting to prefer the scuff x though. Some on here say it hasn't really for any 'guts' to it and I know what they mean but I think that's one of the reasons you can achieve a better finish with it than advance. It's so somooth and easy to apply.

I actually think it adheres better to old oil than advance as well. I usually use akva underneath but I sprayed an old oil door with scuff x and after a few days it was solid, passed the scratch test etc prob better than advance.

I don't really do kitchens but would def choose scuff x @mistcoat for all of the above reasons. My only doubt is if it's as hard wearing as the advance :think: prob not would be my hunch.

Puma and 3 spires like this.
  17. mistcoat

@crj I finished that kitchen recently,,, didn't take "after" pics as all the appliances were pulled out and that made it look untidy.
    On some of the doors (interior face), they got the usual clean down and good sand with RTS. Then two straight coats of Scuff-X over the existing oil based paint.
    After an hour that paint isn't budging at all, so like you say, it does adhere very well!!!

I would say it will be a hard wearing paint for kitchens.

YTS 83' and crj like this.
  18. crj

Good work that, saved yourself a coat or two if you'd used other products . Happy days.

After saying I don't usually do kitchens, I've got one coming up that I'm using helmi satin for. Haven't used a great deal of helmi, maybe only five or so times , never on kitchens . Any advice for the best finish ? Drop of xim? Best brush ?

19. mistcoat

I was getting some lovely finishes with a Corona Archer.
    @Dellboy likes his Purdy Monarch Sprig (correct name slips me as I don’t tend to use them).
    Can use XIM as well in it.

I’m not keen on the new Monarch (not Purdy) brush or Blaze for kitchens in Scuff-X. Too ropey and had to play with it a bit. Customer over the moon though.

puffa and crj like this.
  20. crj

Cheers. Might try that Corona out then .

mistcoat likes this.