1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kit for sitework

Discussion in '"TooledUp" - Tools/Materials of the Trade.' started by mikethebrush, Nov 27, 2011.

1. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

Im startung to get a wishlist together for Bertie for when I get my cheque, mind you mas is looking pricey as we are having thhem all here this year so my wishlist might have to be shaved a bit, but so far I have

600 wide hopup
    painters gloves
    totector trainers

i have all the rrollers etc but i am thinking in investing in new 18" frames and some new poles

is there anything else I need to pick up for general sitework

2. Andrews Decorating

Andrews Decorating PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I got the Wooster wideboy hulk 9-18 frame at the show - I would recommend it!
    Personally I go for boots over trainers, the extra support helps my dodgy knee:oldman:

3. mikethebrush

thats intersting, Ive got boots but Im used to wearing trainers for work, mind you one of the reasons i dont like boots is that i dont have the confidence to stand on newel posts or handrails with them on, maybe I should stick to the boots and work safely

4. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I haven't long bought a new pair of safety trainers and they were ok at first and felt better than my last one. But the last few weeks they have begun hurting my feet. So as of today, I am back in regular trainers for work unless I am up ladders.

Right, back on topic...

How about a nice new Ceros.
    The Purdy knives are a great set. I didn't think I'd get used to them but I don't use any other knives now apart from when I am using 2pk.

The Purdy extendable frame is great. Nice and light. I am not overly fussed with the Wooster Big Ben Frame but that is just me.

5. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

For site work, gotta have a wheelchair. Used one since the 90's, nothing touches it. This is my review. http://traditionalpainter.com/efficient-painting-and-decorating-a-wheelchair. Time and motion off the scale compared to steps and hop ups. Only about £100 from Anglia, trying to find the link

6. mistcoat

Just made a post on your blog about the wheelchair, Andy.
    I have seen this in a mag somewhere recently (sure it was Brewers) where the price was £79.00.

A chippy mate of mine has one he bought in France when he lived there. He got it for about 29 euros. He said when he is next over he may bring a few back. I'd happily give him £30 for his kindness :sarcastic:

It is a good sturdy bit of kit. :thumbsup:

7. mistcoat

8. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

Thanks. I updated the post to reflect your detective work. Another brick in the SEO wall for your good self. :thumbsup: Every time someone googles "wheelchairs for painters"....

9. mikethebrush

I want one:nodyes:

10. mistcoat

Thanks, Andy.
    Great terminology - Wheelchairs for Painters :biggrin:

11. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

One of these good for stairwells with a board (or a proper staging if h+s is a little funny bout it) or on outsides when the scaffolds a little low in sections. Combination ladder

Cheers Jimmy

12. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

Hard hat
    Hi vis - check if they prefer orange or yellow - I got some people who won't allow yellow?
    Safety goggles

I prefer trainer steelies

13. MND

MND PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Be careful with trainers Mike, some sites won't allow them.

14. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

oh and some decent sleeves maybe sheepskin a spare skuttle or 2 for carrying your stuff about and some rubbing blocks (sponge ones) are great if your using red devil filler or the like you can zoom through frames and skirts especially if its the mdf ones.
    Cheers jimmy

15. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

I'll send you our PPE catalogue tomorrow Mike, there's about 40 boots in there, ignore the prices though that's not what you'd pay.

Mirka told me that Persimmon homes are insisting that the new Handy is used for sanding down walls on Tuesday - does anyone work for them and know if this is true?
    I prefer their old hand sander - until they make an interface pad to go with the Handy

16. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

Have you ever used a FEIN product ? If not or if you have there defo equip to have on site,there sanding accessories for the Fein Supercut are brilliant as effective as Festool and you have the different heads as well,triangle,round up too 115mm,then there's sawing,cutting,tiling accessories which always come in handy on site for tidying trim up.
    There great for site work has there so versatile and very diverse,I never leave home without one has they save loading the van with jigs and big boxs,and there available in 110v or 230v.
    Pricey yes but you can get one off eBay for peanuts www.fein.co.uk
    Have a look at the king of the Multi Tools.:yes:

17. andyrolls

andyrolls PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Mike I can recommend the newest Rodo hop up very sturdy compared to others i've used, I always use a striker on new build the designers allways seem to design houses with no thought on how a painters gonna paint it, so a good selection of fitches including a bent fitch. Round sash brush for tops of skirtings a good hand sander I like the Marshalltown quick release. Cant stand Hi viz vest's they tend toget in your kettle when bending down so I got a cycling, wicking one from sports direct it's even got pockets on back for your dust brush!
    What sort of house/ flat are they Mike modern or traditional? I'd be suprised if an 18'' roller would be of any use in a traditional style, they seem to love throwing in doors so very little flat wall to go at, also if it's plastered the walls will be to uneven for an 18" roller. The best sleeve's for paint capacity and flatting properties are the albany long piles, easy to clean out and the only cage that doesnt do the dreaded grey alloy lines is the adjustable purdy one as misty mentioned. As far as boots go give Cofra a look, Italian readily available in the u.k very light and comfortable.

18. mikethebrush

thanks Andy

your right about the skipping on 18 rollers, its often qicker to use a 15,I already have am 18 but was thinking of a ssecond one so I have one in colour and one in white

I have no end of fitches etc

the work I have been doing is the communal areas in a retirement village so its been big areas, I looked in the flats today as I have been told the price on them and I can go on to them if I want, I think 15 rollers will be best in those areas

19. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

I'm going to get this lot because it sounds so blooming efficient,:thumbsup: where did you get mashalltown hand sander from,I've only seen trowels !!

20. mistcoat

Don't you think you have enough sanders, Chris. W/out buying the Marshalltown stuff too :scratchhead:
    Once the For Sale board is up and running, me and Ag's will have first dibs on your Festool stuff or we will charge you for advertising :lol:

j/k :jester: