1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a good step ladder

Discussion in '"TooledUp" - Tools/Materials of the Trade.' started by Bronco, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Bronco

Bronco Formerly Irish Painter Bar Member

What do you guys use? My last 2 have been DIY alluminium steps. 4 steps & platform. Reason I like them is they're light! I hate a heavy steps.

But I'm not going buying them diy ones anymore because the same thing happened on the last 2. The 2nd step snapped on each!

I like the Hailo ones. But ideally I'd like 4 steps & a platform. They're too long to go in my van. The longest I can have closed is 160cm.

So if any of ye have a good 4+1 that is around 160cm and is light weight can you let me know.

Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

The best step ladders are double sided warehouse. I like them. Solid but not the sort you see trades use that much. Built well though. Don't own one but uses a few years ago as was on the job. Loved it and tried to take it off their hands, but for what I do step stools work most of the time plus a 5 in 1 platform.

[​IMG]

Bronco likes this.
  3. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Werner fibreglass swingbacks (I think they are called swingbacks!) Are the best steps I've ever had, really solid and the tops have multiple hole and slots for screwdrivers etc.
    There are also 2 grooves on the top to attach assorted accessories, buckets and bits, very useful, great when papering and multiple tools are required.

Peter Humphreys and Bronco like this.
  4. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Prodec fiberglass 6 step ladder is very good I have one for five years or so.
    Kavannagh sold by the Homevalue centres are all right and very good price (a bit wobbly but manageable) I have 10 and 12 step but will have to make some reinforcements on the 12 step as it is scarry sometimes.

Bronco likes this.
  5. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I still like the added bit of a top rail to hold on to so the A frames are a no for me.

I managed to split the standing deck on a decent set of steps (no idea how that happened being 12st 35 lb) :biggrin:

The nearest place to get a set that day was B&Poo so got a set of Mac Alister 4 tread
    They are a mix of Ali and Steel so are heavier but I got use to them. Still going strong

Iain79 and Bronco like this.
  6. Bronco

Bronco Formerly Irish Painter Bar Member

Cheers for the replies lads. I kinda like the look of them double sided steps. But I'll admit I like a bar at the top like on the alluminium steps to hold onto at times. I find the electrician steps too heavy and awkward. Heavy because I usually carry my steps open in 1 hand and brush and kettle in the other when I'm moving!

PhillyThePainter and Painter16 like this.
  7. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Prodec fibreglass (red ones) are great. Werner fibreglass one also great.
    Last years n years.
    Alas no grab rail at the top and quite heavy but still do able to move one handed.

Bronco likes this.
  8. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Personally I hate fibreglass steps...
    I know I’m probably a minority in that

But I just use bog standard youngmans Aluminium steps. Although I only tend to get them out if I have to and prefer to use my hop up for 99% of jobs

Bronco likes this.
  9. Hang it all

Hang it all PPS Tradesman Bar Member

I bought a set very similar to these @Bronco
    https://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/en/view/35531218

Johnstone’s had them I think , it was a year or so ago
    I can carry them on my little finger they’re so light, but feel sturdy enough when you’re on them.

The youngman ones look ok- 4kg vs abru and Werner which are both 5.88kg so nearly half as much again

Like @kirk though I’d rather be on a hop up if I can

Bronco likes this.
  10. Iain79

Iain79 PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I have these as well, good solid steps and light enough to move one handed. Sturdy when one foot on top platform.
    Screwfix have them as well and list them as suitable for professional use so hopefully will last for a while yet

RonyT likes this.
  11. bitzz

bitzz PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Bought these from Cane Adam few years back nice and sturdy (for my slight frame) :biggrin: wide rubber covered steps. Handrail a must made be Werner.
    16A283CD-7210-4CFB-A567-A30F8E1119F4.jpeg
    C059DA1B-69FD-461A-9108-190BC26DBD23.jpeg

Bronco likes this.
  12. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

I have 5 tread fibreglass sparkies ones like the Werner ones. They are my fave as I bought them for £25 years ago from Brewers, when the Brazilian suppliers sent a container load of green ones, not the blue that were ordered, but most of the time it’s 2or3 step metal jobs from Robert Dyas with the metal hoop I can lean against while I sit chatting with my cup of tea, or lay on their side in the doorway to keep kids/pets out of the room.

Bronco likes this.