1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low ceiling emulsion

Discussion in 'Coating it up - Help what's the best paint for...?' started by Edindec, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:11 PM.

1. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

Can anyone recommend a good dead flat emulsion I could use for a low ceiling. Lucky if it's 7' high and it's always well lighten with natural light which doesn't help showing every little flaw. I seen Johnstone's have a new Flatt Matt out but I've never used it before. It's a large ceiling and the colour is a cream.

2. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Bobbones and Edindec like this.
  3. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Anti reflex from Tikkurila, up your end of the country. Magic stuff. Benjamin Moore is brill but no brilliant white and not cheap.

Edindec and Painter16 like this.
  4. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Bm ceiling paint or if not that tikkurila ceiling ,like the good peps above say

Edindec likes this.
  5. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

Thanks for the replies everybody. Will be one of those 2 then

6. LMDec

LMDec PPS Tradesman Bar Member

Anti reflex 2 :thumbsup:

Daf likes this.
  7. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Are you spraying it @Edindec ?
    I personally would go for Tikkurila Anti Reflex 2, nice and white lays flat.

RonyT likes this.
  8. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Only issue I’ve had with tikkurila anti reflex was it needed 3 coats where Ben Moore can cover in 2 easily. Both great finishes. If cost not an issue then BM all the way for me.

Peter Humphreys and ahenrypd like this.
  9. Edindec

Edindec PPS Time Served

Looking at the anti reflex and it seems to only come in white? Its a cream colour needed so either leaves Johnstone's or Benjamin Moore. Ceiling will be just be getting rolled.

10. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Bm ceiling paint all day long mate

Edindec likes this.
  11. LMDec

Tikk Nova 2. Lovely and flat, tinted. £25/30 10ltr.

Daf and Edindec like this.
  12. Daf

That’s why I asked are you spraying?

as @LMDec says Nova 2 I did a whole house in the stuff, but I sprayed it all, went on great.
    I haven’t rolled it, so I can’t comment on rolling, but I’m sure what @LMDec has said is spot on as after I sprayed it certainly is a flat paint.

LMDec likes this.
  13. LMDec

I rolled out house with it, ceilings & walls. Was very impressed with how flat it was & no roller marks. Can’t touch it up but what paint can you really..!

14. Daf

I sprayed a whole house in it, they had a leak and I went back and touched in with a mohair roller and it was really good finish, I was pleased.
    Perhaps it’s colour? I have the video on my website on this particular house.

15. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@BenjaminMooreUK Ceiling Paint can be touched up, as can their wall paints :yes:

16. LMDec

The only BM paint I’ve been happy touching you is the ultra spec, found regal matt, eggshell bad & aura dark grey failed too..haven’t tried ceiling paint. Apart from that, I agree :sarcastic:

17. Kevin court

Kevin court East London's best kept decorating secret. Bar Member

Last week I touched up a low ceiling that was done in ultra spec flat after curing a water stain and it blended in perfectly. It was first done a little over a year ago. Although I used pm1 I found it had a tinge of grey to it.

18. Daf

I tried pm1 white in Aura, didn’t touch up great at all, had to re do the whole door as it looked like a bulls eye!

LMDec likes this.
  19. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Aura what? Matt, Eggy, Satin ?
    Think the seamless touch-in's is more for walls (in matt or flat). The higher the sheen the higher the show.
    :dunno:

I've touched in all different colours from pm-1 to a dark blue in matt and it's barely noticeable from a deccy's point of view. Negligible from a customers.

mistcoat likes this.
  20. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Would agree with Benjamin Moore Ceiling paint, used it last week for the first time (at long last) on a well lit room with loads of light, will be using again. Ps the Advance Satin was so nice to use.

Attached Files:

mistcoat, ajmdecorators and ahenrypd like this.