1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirka Leros review.

Discussion in 'The Review Centre - reviews of tools & products.' started by Daf, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I'm now in possession of the Mirka Leros, i got it yesterday, nice bit of kit i have to say, so here's my take on it.

I'm working in a mt 3 bed house, completely knackard it is, so needing a lot of time prepping it, yesterday i had a chance to sand down the walls before i started filling it all today with 4T and other fillers.

I was using a 60 grit and spun it up, at first i thought it was a little heavier than i anticipated, weighing in at a mere 3.5 KG but, if like me, you have tennis elbow on both arms and a golfers elbow on one, this does start to ache after a very short time, the motor sits on the head, some machines have a motor near the handle and a shaft powering the head, these shafts snap, but the Mirka motor has a variable speed on the handle, easy to use, too.

The 180 degree head and a slight movement to left and right is great coupled with the 225mm diameter head and a 5mm orbit, you can stand a short distance away from the wall and do the top and bottom of the wall and it is actually is flattening the stipple of the old paint, as this house is very old, i had to do the ceilings as well and the Leros was really good at this too, holding the handle and pushing up, made quick work of it, i was surprised how quickly i got going, connected up to my trusty old 915L mirka vac, i didnt see much dust at all.

By the time i did the ground floor, my elbows were really hurting/aching, i changes the sanding disc to another 60 grit and did the top of the house, by the time i finished, my elbows were shattered, someone with out tennis elbow would find it easy, sadly, i was in a lot of pain, i had to have Co-Codamol & Naproxing as it was agony.

I just wondered why Mirka made the boom out of metal? when it could be made out of heavy plastic ( like underground pipes made of) as i would imagine that could shave a little weight off, also @Mirka UK (Ltd)
    I used 2 sanding discs and already the backing pad is coming away from the main disc head, i can see the glue coming away, for a £900+ machine, this isn't very good, any ideas why?

All in all though, i would recommend it, the whole house took me 1 hour and 20 minutes walls and most ceiling not all, wall nice a flattened, Monday, i have to do it all again as i got 4T everywhere, i have some 180 grit ready for it, and it should be a doddle :jiggin:

I got the Leros with the case and it really is a lovely case ( as cases go, haha) defiantly protects the unit, nice and heavy and covers everything well, the head has a padded section to protect the motor too, chunky zip as well.

The sanding discs i got from Andy at MPB 60 and 80 grit, ill be buying some higher ones soon.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one. :blah:

Hope you all have a lovely weekend :hothothot:

2. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Thank you for this post fella.
    What happened to the pad is worrying.
    Feel sorry for ya bones.

Daf likes this.
  3. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Any idea on the cost of the new pads?

I think I would be asking @Mirka UK (Ltd) about this issue, great honest review
    :thumbsup:

Daf likes this.
  4. Daf

Thanks guys, I’m not sure about the pad? after I wrote the above, I was wondering if it actually had a pad saver, it didn’t come with one and I did buy one from MPB, I haven’t got it with me ( the Leros) but when I’m back Monday I’ll take a look and investigate, could be my fault or it could be their is one on their already.

@Tomcio my bones are better today, thank you sir :doff:

@3 spires the pad saver is £15.50, and a box of 60 grit is around £35 for 25 sheets( discs)

I’ll call Mirka Monday and ask after I’ve investigated the pad myself, thank you too sir:doff:

Tomcio likes this.
  5. Daf

Just an update, I called Mirka today, they asked me to master abrasives and let them know I only used it for 1.5 hours, they said it is a serviceable part, which I do understand, but falling apart at 90 minutes I don’t understand?

Spoke to the tech guy and they are sending me a new pad

Thanks again @Mirka UK (Ltd)

Last bit, I used a p180 abranet on the Leros, to sand down the 4T, damn that is a awesome finish.

6. 3 spires

Would be great to hear a review after you have had it a few months @Daf as many no doubt will be interested.
    :thumbup:

Tomcio likes this.
  7. Daf

Yes of course, good idea :friends:

3 spires likes this.
  8. Karl

Karl PPS Time Served

It's a great sander indeed. Mine came with the 3mm interface pad which has served me well to date but I'll have to get the 1mm pad saver to compare and contrast.

Daf likes this.
  9. Daf

Mirka UK (Ltd) likes this.
  10. 3 spires

Hi @Daf and all other Leros owners, how is it performing any problems or gripes?

I have been toying with getting one but they are a expensive bit of kit, I also have been looking at the Festool but heard a few negative reviews with them, I was hoping they would drop in price but best deal is MPB at £899 with 3 lots of 25 sheet disks.

11. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@3 spires, have you got a Dulux account still Si? Its 20% off week next week and that includes Mirka, worth a look there maybe?

Peter Humphreys and 3 spires like this.
  12. Daf

Just finished a job, I use it all the time on the walls and ceiling, this job I used it on new plaster with 180, bloody marvellous, I did stay at the start the pad came away, but they sent a new complete one to me, and it’s been fine, since then I stuck the old one down and keeping for a spare.

Been good and I am glad I got it, expensive, yes but I am very happy, I even done a flat door while doing the walls haha!

Tomcio, Buckers and 3 spires like this.
  13. 3 spires

I was wondering if Mirka will be flogging them at the paint show but 20% off at dulux sounds like a good deal @Buckers.

What sanding sheets have you been using @Daf do you find one better than another, any problems with clogging etc?

14. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You can get 225mm abranet @3 spires, I use it with my cheapo sander.

3 spires and RonyT like this.
  15. Karl

Karl PPS Time Served

Been using my Leros on a shoddily built and painted open-plan ceiling and walls and would hate to think how long it would take with my Deros so it's a time saver.
    Would be nice to have a go with the Planex for comparison as I sometimes wish the Leros had a bit more oomph and it also requires the space to manoeuvre with the long fixed handle.

16. Daf

I use the Abranet 60/80 and 180, the first 2 are for the walls and the 180 is when I use the T4, goes a treat on T4

17. KLHTim

KLHTim PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Great review @Daf . With the paint show coming up i may have to take a punt. Downside to your review.... xmas is now cancelled for all of the family! Let them eat cake while i gloat upon the leros!

Peter Humphreys and Daf like this.
  18. Daf

@KLHTim haha, yeah let them Gloat at the Leros, Xmas come but once a year, work is what pays for Xmas :sarcastic:

KLHTim likes this.
  19. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Where did you get your Leros from daf ? How far can you reach up saying I'm about 5' 10"

20. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Or maybe, just maybe, @Mirka UK (Ltd) could run a competition for one for me to win. I'd happily do a review on it. :biggrin:

Daf and ahenrypd like this.