1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mist coat or size

Discussion in 'Preparation - ways to go about it.' started by john ov, Nov 29, 2019.

1. john ov

john ov PPS Time Served

Just wondered what you guys do on newly plastered walls that require wallpaper, got a newly plastered room to do soon and they would like 2 walls papered, would you just mist coat the whole room or leave the 2 papered walls and size them .
    Cheers

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I would have mist coated years ago when subbing. But when you turn up on jobs now to strip walls and see the mess using an emulsion creates I'd never go that route again.
    Size all the way for me.

3. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Beeline primer / sealer for papered walls also the Anaglypta primer is ok.

I now tend to use Optiva Primer for new plaster under emulsion

Buckers, Wayners and barry like this.
  4. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yeah definitely size the 2 walls that are to be papered mate

5. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just echoing Simons info. I used to converse with Beelines chief chemist, Ian Pw, who told me the 7 active components of Beeline primer sealer and why he ranked it first in your situation. He has Zin Gardz next

6. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I no longer wallpaper, but I would size the walls.

I’ve seen people mistcoat the walls and when they papered, the paint would come alive and come through the joints.

Bobbones likes this.
  7. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

I read somewhere that diluted PVA is good before wallpapering on the bare plaster???

8. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Mistcoat with contract before papering will only end in disaster, beeline primer/sealer 1st, gard 2nd then a couple of thinned paste coats maybe with a drop of pva mixed in 3rd but not for anything else than a blown vinyls. Joints may split etc

9. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

Used beeline for first time this week. Review to come. Bet you can't wait. Spoiler it's white gardz and will work.
    However
    Tinted acrylic primer so joins don't show gets my vote if you are papering. Get from jhonos. Done many times myself.
    Oh. No bus so walking home nissed a tad. It's cold and foggy. Cars are frozen so watch out with paints.
    I'll add
    Contact emulsion is some stuff. Disliking it more every day.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 12:26 AM
  10. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

with you all the way there mate,size every time:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You know what the ladys and our friend Barry always say.
    SIZE MATTERS:smile::smile::smile::smile:

11. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Been using both Beeline wall sealer and Gardz for years, both great products but they are different products with different abilities.
    Beeline sealer is most definitely NOT white gardz @Wayners.

I did a long post in the wallpaper section about the the issues that can arise when using gardz to seal (overseal) walls with heavyweight papers that have long soak times. This has been confirmed by Anaglypta and Lincrusta.

As for the original post I'm 100% in the seal not mistcoat camp!

12. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:fullten: Plus one I can’t find “GOOD POST “

13. Wayners

Interesting. I used the beeline this week and soon as I popped lid I thought this is pva. Smells like pva. Rolled on old pink plaster and gave a translucent but a little white in colour coat. Had a sheen like silk paint. Sealed well though like Gardz and gives what appeared to be a hard shiny surface. It's not sticky like pva when drying, and I've only used the beeline once, so need to keep with it and see how it performs, and get s better understanding of it.

@Buckers post is at the bottom of here.. I think it's the one mentioned about Gardz Vs Beeline

http://www.painterspitstop.com/threads/new-plastered-walls.13859/

14. Wayners

Here is the beeline primer sealer.
    Beeline sealer.jpg Beeline primer sealer.jpg
    Sensible money too
    Mix 3 - 1 for plaster. So goes a long way

Omg.. Watch this...:whistle:
    Not the sealer but who cares.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    Peter Humphreys likes this.
  15. KLHTim

KLHTim PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

On reading the thread questiin i woyld have opted for misting the whole shabang & been dine with but i vever thiught of it that way @mistcoat . Strange how i just accepted that way of doing things then moaned like crazy when i stripped a wall with emulsion. Im a beeline convert for all papering jobs so ill just add that to the list of pps "s**t no!!!!" Moments iv had!

mistcoat likes this.
  16. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Yep size / sealer not mist coat for me, always. Never PVA.

Jason Gunter and barry like this.
  17. Wayners

Anyone used beeline to seal contract emulsion with a view to paint over. Bit unclear reading data and just phoned their technical department and it shuts at 4.30....

So beeline can be used as wallpaper and emulsion primer?
    Correct.

Needs water adding though as instructions say.

Plan B is acrylic primer as this contract stuff on job is naff. Real dry.

Thanks

18. Wayners

I phoned beeline. Yes you can use to seal contract emulsion. Need to dilute as per instructions. Going to try once wall.

19. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Nice use of the shoe in that picture @Wayners.

Wayners likes this.
  20. bitzz

bitzz PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

We’re taking over Peter another one converted. :thumbup: :hysterical:

Waynetta likes this.