1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise cancelling headphones

Discussion in '"TooledUp" - Tools/Materials of the Trade.' started by crj, Nov 3, 2018.

1. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

After getting a pair of these for work. Currently use plug in earphones which are good quality but still find I have to have on nearly full volume to block out sound of deros and midi etc. That's even with a pair of ear defenders over them too. Worried I'm gonna end up with tinnitus at this rate.

I seem to remember @3 spires having a posh pair as well as @ajmdecorators? I don't wanna spend loads tbh as I know you can spend serious dosh on them. Was thinking of around 50 quid. Seen some on amazon that have v good reviews for around this price. More interested in your advice tho as you know how loud sanding can be and also the practicalities involved. Is 50 quid just way too unrealistic ? Cheers

2. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I have another set for work which are the Lindy ones about £70 from Richer Sounds without NC they are a very good sound put on the NC and they sound changes more trebble but they work perhaps better than all the other I looked at in that price range I think the next best are AKGs about £200.

The Lindys are well built and have a nice case they are comfortable as I have a large head, battery is 30hrs and with NC about 20 hrs the only thing I would change is the play button inbetween forward and reverse a bit fiddly to find volume is a roller switch which is nice build quality is not far the £300+ cans and comes with all leads and air plane connectors. For the cost they are exceptional but if you want high end you will need to spend the dosh but for work sanding etc they are a bargain. If you go to Richer Sounds they will let you have a try before you buy.

By the way alot of reviews on Amazon are produced by the vendors its been proven by writing experts that alot are from the same person so I am always a little sceptical with alot of these reviews.

Peter Humphreys, crj and Waynetta like this.
  3. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I’d reccomend the Akg y50s mate, think they are only around £50 now, Used to be over £100. Have a look on whathifi and see what they reccomend too, although in that price bracket it’s probably the akg’s

crj likes this.
  4. ajmdecorators

Just realised that you want noise cancelling mate, the y50s aren’t. I’d go with the lindys as 3 spires says, heard good things about them. They are also what hifi’s pick for under £100

crj likes this.
  5. crj

Cheers both of you. Will have a proper look today. I'm not v tech minded at all so excuse me if I come back with some stupid questions.

6. crj

BTW I have often wondered that about amazon reviews, especially the sponsored ones.

I've got quite a big head too (in the literal sense) so good to know they will accommodate its size. I usually wear plug in ear phones. I find I get really hot ears with the big cushioned headphones. Is that an issue when you're working with them on?

Also, was it a particular model of the Lindy ones? I never really have time to go and try them on so much appreciate your advice mate.

7. 3 spires

They do 2 Lindy ones its the Bluetooth ones I have, they are work great for work and cut out the noise of sanders enough to still enjoy the sounds.

I do listen to audio books alot and I can concentrate alot more with headphones on also some stuff could be embarrassing with the customer as language can get a bit salty also if I need a pick me up I usually put some Metallica on definatly not one for Mrs Miggins to rock out 2! And if I want to chill out then some classical stuff and if I am fed up Bad Manners my wife and kids can't figure me out as I go from one extreme to the other:huh:

All over ear cans will warm your ears the bigger ones more so but I have not had any real issue with the Lindys perhaps a little tighter than my other did I mention I have a big head! and worn them most of the day, I struggle with the in ear ones as they irritate my inner ear especially moving arround alot plus the batterys not as good and they are alot more flimsy.

If you want top end I think my Sony wh1000-xm2 are fab the noise cancelling being better than the Bose I tried them out with the Richer Sounds staff as one had a pair and wanted to compare even he thought they were better they cut everything out amazing really the only negative thing is the Bose are a little more comfortable but thats it, the sonys have touch controls pairs up to a app to change settings and play music, they also tests the noise around you to cut out sounds on my sit on mover It nearly cuts it out and that thing is loud I would never do a long hall flight without them again and great to just chill out with even with the good wife, 2 kids and tv on!

I got mine for £258 and worth every penny yes its expensive but they are impressive you pay for the NC if I didn't need NC I would buy the Audio Technica cans the are super comfortable and they sound is bang on they just have a wire thou.

Sorry to ramble on I kind of did my research on this stuff.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    crj and ajmdecorators like this.
  8. ajmdecorators

the xm-3's have just come out 3spires, meant to be brilliant, been very tempted by them! but I just love my b&w px's too much. never been a fan of bose plus the sonys and bowers and wilkins always come out on top in tests, think the xm3's might just beat mine now tho because of the extra comfort and better anc. sound quality wise tho I still prefer mine ever so slightly

crj and 3 spires like this.
  9. crj

@3 spires not rambling at all. I was hoping you had done all the market research so I didn't have to!! Yeah with them getting a bit battered at work I didn't wanna pay mega money. I only mentioned NC as I can still hear my sanders at present even with earphones on full whack. If you think there's a headphone that will still block out external noise without having to have on full volume and without needing to have NC I'd entertain that idea?

I know what u mean re plug Ins. My mate gave me some rha ones for free, think they're quite expensive, but just can get to grips with them. Find them really uncomfortable. I have some 20 quid Sony ones I much prefer.

10. 3 spires

They do soft inserts for in ear sets that cut out more noise and very soft on the ear trouble is with dust they still are uncomfortable they also expensive for what they are about £40 and they last 6 to 12 months hence the Lindys!

As @ajmdecorators has mentioned new stuff is coming out as NC cans are a big seller must say the B@W look nice theirs alot to choose from but for work sub £100 for me.

One big tip with charging all headphones is to use a charging brick or computer most manufacturers do not recomend plug in wall usb adapters, I have a Anker one that is in a cup holder of the van and charge overnight the charging brick is good for at least 5 full charges and I charge that off the vans cigarette plug. I have had a few headsets that have been knackered by charging, none since using the charging block.

11. ajmdecorators

@3 spires yeah I’d never use my b&w’s for work, I’d be mental too! Never tried using headphones for work tbh, not sure if I like the idea of it, prefer just having my radio on!

12. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

I use buds mostly either plugged directly into phone or I use a Bluetooth adapter £10 each that will turn any buds into wireless. This works well as I can put phone on the side rather than in my pocket,and with a good set of ear defenders over and I'm fine to listen to music and podcasts while sanding ect. I have 2 Bluetooth adaptors so can swap as battery lasts about 4 hours max.

crj likes this.
  13. crj

I don't have them on when spraying as I'm full alert but for sanding I always use them both for keeping noise out and stopping me getting bored. I wouldn't really wear them if not sanding, unless I'm outside. Always makes me laugh when my worker tries talking to me when I have them on. Not sure he understands the concept of headphones.

Yeah I've tried ear defenders over @Wayners but still really noisy.

Is it these fellas @3 spires A little more than I wanted to spend but if buy them if they were half decent.

What's the reason re not charging from mains? Must admit, most radios I have had including current de Walt one have issues with leads and charging ports.

Just to add @3 spires I noticed what hi gives them a pretty good review. Are they failry impartial? Like the 15 charge life on them. Didn't like the idea of Aaa batteries as some of them have. I'm not looking for total audio perfection. Just something to drown out my sanders and my worker when he's moaning.

Thanks for all your advice and you too @ajmdecorators and @Wayners

Attached Files:

14. Wayners

I can't ware headphones.. Maybe it's lack of feathers on top but they all fall off when I move about. Buds for me and I'm tempted by xiaomi noise cancelling buds £50 with all this talk. I'm all in on this brand and I buy the buds for under £10. Good sound and well made. Mi8 phone is on list, God its lush.

15. crj

I know what you mean. I always feel a bit of a plonker wearing bulky headphones. When I see some people walking down the street it looks like they've got two armchairs on either side of their head they're that big.

16. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I wear the buds. Have to be cheap either the wire snaps or the bud falls in something. But I can have just one in the ear so I can listen out for stealthy cups of tea.
    Have tried bluetooth, but if you pause it for 30secs it looses connection so have to sync it all over again. (Thats probably just my old ipod classic with a bluetooth adaptor though).
    Some good suggestions above for headphones to look for.

crj likes this.
  17. 3 spires

Only had the Lindy for 4 months so can't comment on long term but so far so good.

Bluetooth headphones and trust me I've had a few can be very different some do loose connection even if a meter away others like my sonys are 15 meters and through walls I have gone through a few wired ones my favourite was AKGs with a coated cable my wife borrowed them and they have disappeared.
    :censored:

The mains charging I think its down to fluctuations in electric supply that can damage the electronics at least with the charging brick it will charge steady it may take a bit longer.

ahenrypd likes this.
  18. Wayners

Just looked and Original Xiaomi Piston In Ear Earphones - BLACK are £6 for the basic ones which sound brilliant and do last. As for bluetooth music for one ear.... Xiaomi LYEJ05LM Mini Bluetooth 4.1 Single Earphone Waterproof Earbud with Mic will work in one ear @ahenrypd although not tried myself. That's about £13. I use a xiaomi A4 mobile phone £70 to play music mp3. Podcasts. Stream radio ect. £3.50 pm sim only deal works for me but I can't stream to much as limited data. Think it's 1 gig

ahenrypd likes this.
  19. 3 spires

@crj they have the same ones as the Lindys on 7dayshop.com at 35 quid they are the same order quick mate BARGAIN

20. crj

3 spires likes this.