1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paste questions

Discussion in 'Wallcoverings - and related topics.' started by bruntonpasty, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:29 PM.

1. bruntonpasty

bruntonpasty PPS Craftsman Bar Member

evening all. I’m to hang some farrow and ball papers next week . Customer is happy to supply the manufacturers specific paste although they confirmed to the customer that a good quality starch paste would be acceptable . I know nothing about paste! So , what is it that decrees what paste should be used with what paper? I know I sound a bit dopey but........... somebody on here will know

2. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

It's expensive wallpaper so Id use their paste just to cover yourself if there's any problems.

3. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

Lap cold water starch can be used. Get at many places. Dulux for one. I used ready mixed but that's the chance I take. Just because it's lower in water and have never had a problem. Like I said. It's my risk.
    If you do mix flake measure the water to spec

[​IMG]

4. bitzz

bitzz PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Use the F & B one as Lee said above.

5. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Ya use their own no comeback then if something happens ,hopefully nowt will ,but you've covered your self if it does

6. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Add a MINUTE drop of washing up liquid pre the flakes....minute. Lowers the surface tension

7. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Never heard that one before bazza:doff:

8. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Used to use Lap all the time nice for lining papers but as others use the recommended to cover ones arse!

A bit off topic I have been using all sorts of paste over the past year I do find the likes of beeline yellow top with added pva works very well but does need thinning about 5 to 8% it stays wet and doesn't dry out like many.

But I have been finding alot of paste from wickes own to Anaglypta power adhesive 3 bloody buckets of the stuff! seems to have gone off and thin very frustrating when opening a new tin on a job, it is all is still in date but I know thunder storms turns starch based pastes but unsure if this is the case for ready mixed ones?
    Any one else been having this problem?

Very tempted to go back to solvite flake a dam sight cheaper thats for sure!

9. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I went through a batch of solvite not so long back and within 3 days it had gone watery,so switched to fathog(Progold now).Recently used a new pack of Solvite and that seems to be okay after a week,so i may go back to solvite but im happy enough with the fathog for now.
    Back to the thread, id use their recommendations just to be sure ,but i have hung LA paper with both before now,flake maily but if i have had a problem with the edges curling then i will used readymixed and normally wickes own brand i find a good rm

Wayners likes this.
  10. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Put a lid on solvite and it’s water in days, leave open to the elements and it stays good till it evaporates.

I agree with you on wickes paste.:thumbup:

bagshot and Jason Gunter like this.
  11. Wayners

Wickes paste is made by Barrettine

Peter Humphreys and Jason Gunter like this.
  12. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Bartoline you mean buddy

13. Wayners

:blush: yeah,

Got mixed up with my clipboard.

Bartoline make Wickes ready mixed.

Jason Gunter likes this.