1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPS Book Club

Discussion in 'Take a Break - off topic stuff.' started by handypainter, Sep 24, 2012.

1. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

After catching up with PPS and your looking for something else to read, why not check in here and share your favourite reads.

Personally, the best present I ever had was a Kindle. No more piles of books on the bedside table or groaning bookshelves. Heres a list of my recent notable reads:

The Brothers Sisters - violent western with witty dark humour, following two brothers in 1850's America - 5 stars

Child of God - Lester Ballard is by far the weirdest protagonist i've ever come across. So i'm ashamed to say I enjoyed every page of this Cormac McCarthy novel - 5 stars

Mort - the second book in a row i've read by Terry Pratchett. Clever, witty and a real page turner. Looks like i'm hooked now on The Discworld Series - 5 stars

Waynetta and G-Dec like this.
  2. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

I read a lot of books since I havent had a telly

the one im on now is " the way of the superior man" by david deida

its a spiritual approach to life and is invaluable for success with the ladies , I shall say no more

3. handypainter

Sounds interesting Mike, I like a bit of philosophy but not sure if my missus would allow me to read that one :lol:

4. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

your missus would buy it for you if she knew what was in it

5. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Haven't read a book in a long while but I was very much into self improvement for a while also marketing books as well.

Rich Dad Poor Dad
    How to Win Friends & Influence People
    Rhino Tenacity (you won't be able to buy this anywhere).
    The Magic of Thinking Big
    Think & Grow Rich
    to name a few.

The reason for reading them... my neighbour got me to sign up to Amway in '91. What a con!!! :yes:
    But I tell you now. The books were great and helped me to better prepare for my little empire and my personality today. So it wasn't all bad.

I did throw them over the tip wall as I wanted nothing more to do with that crap Amway!

PhillyThePainter likes this.
  6. handypainter

Never been into self improvement books, but have a small library of philosophical books from Slavoj Zizek, Richard Dawkins and the Open University.

7. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

That's a bit wierd "the way of the superior many" seems to be available as a free pdf.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...p9o2kcgbuC0lK-Dgg&sig2=NKOrea-N-_qLsIy8jMJkgw

If you like Chandler, check out Walter Mosley, a modern writer who sets his books in the past, sassy cool and fun.

Sarah Waters is as far as I know our best living writer, she spends years really honing each book in to fine art.

Ian M Banks, if you like sci fi. The books are a bit variable in quality. Try "The player of games"

8. handypainter

Nice one Puma, been meaning to try Ian M Banks for a while and will be definitely trying your recommendation. Walter Mosley sounds right up my street too :thumbsup:

9. acmasterpainter

acmasterpainter PPS Master Craftsman

The only book I ever read that made me cry with laughter all the way through was Three men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. I was on medication at the time, but even so, it is a classic read.

If you can read anything by Noam Chomsky, be it from his chimpanzee linguistics period, or his drilling down into US foreign policy or philosophy, he has a mind as big as a skyscraper.

And not exactly books, but there is a website called Letters of Note which runs unpublished private letters and communiques often from the greatest writers ever. Quite humbling to read such clever wit and insightful writing, usually between friends.

10. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Noam knows Bar Member

Can anyone recommend a decent book to read ?, the last really good book I read was R Pirsig ( RIP, he died last week), Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Reading a Bio about Brando at the moment, it's ok, but I'm always on the look out for something new .......:thumbup:

11. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

12 Years a slave. Probably the best book I've read in a while.
    Jimmy Whites last autobiography is very good too. Read more fiction these days,
    William Shaw my favourite author at the mo.

Redhousepainter likes this.
  12. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Cold, by Ranulph Fiennes. Blimey!

13. Redhousepainter

Cheers, 12 Years a slave, will go on my list :thumbup:

14. YTS 83'

Get past the slowish start & you won't be able to put it down:thumbup:

15. Redhousepainter

Have you read Papillon ?, fantastic book :thumbup:

bruntonpasty, barry and YTS 83' like this.
  16. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

A boy called it !!
    Made me cry

Redhousepainter and YTS 83' like this.
  17. YTS 83'

Yes! Got Papillon & the follow up Banco a long time ago, excellent.

18. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

If you want a decent film
    The Stoning of Soraya M.
    Bloody brilliant, literally but Brutal ! Based on a true story.

YTS 83' likes this.
  19. YTS 83'

Have seen it & other titles like it, but I do avoid them as I know they would be a very dark &'harrowing read. I do most of my reading at night & probably wouldn't be able to sleep after reading them.

grumpyvandriver likes this.
  20. Redhousepainter

New film coming out this year, hope it's more faithful to the book than the Steve McQueen version :thumbup:

YTS 83' likes this.