1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price to paint sash windows

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by PaintyPete, Jul 9, 2017.

1. PaintyPete

PaintyPete PPS Apprentice

Hi guys.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I was wondering what sort of prices people charge to make good old exterior wooden sash windows (prime, u/c, gloss, putty, fill, etc).

I've been asked to quote for 7 windows and a door in here in sunny old Kent.

6 of the windows are on the first floor, two of them with the general public walking by as we'll be on a high street. We'll need to use a tower scaffold for this of course.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Well Painty Pete.
    How many days do you think it's going to take you, that's always a good starting point. Also how do the rules in darkest Kent stand on towers instead of scaffolding in pedestrian areas, and how good is your public liability insurance.

Pete the paint
    :shake:

3. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Hope you've had a good prod about as there can be plenty of nasty surprises lurking under years of dodgy prep and paint.

4. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

In Tenterden... name your price :winky:

5. PaintyPete

I'm thinking 3 'man' or 'woman' days to complete using this: https://www.hss.com/hire/p/adjustable-platform-step-upto-1-52m to access the front two windows of the property. It's on a busy high street, not Tenterden @mistcoat unfortunately but a neighbouring town :smile: We'll be placing a cordon around the ladder of course :smile:

I'm hoping I won't need to find out how good our public liability is :lol:

Fortunately it all looks in fairly good condition so nothing too bad (I'm hoping I haven't just jinxed myself :lol:).

mistcoat and Waynetta like this.
  6. PaintyPete

Oh and I don't know if this helps, I know it sounds like overkill but for every job we always prepare the following:
    • Risk Assessments
    • Method Statements
    • Task Briefings
    • CoSHH Assessments
    • Workplace Inspection Sheets
    • Construction Phase Plan
    And other documents which I'm too lazy to type in right now :lol:

We figured it makes sense to get into a habit of doing them on everything as we offer tonnes of services and plan to take on contracts at some point.

We're thinking along the lines of £1400 but not sure if that's a bit low or too steep :scratchhead:

Peter Humphreys likes this.
  7. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Sounds a little toppy for three days ( I'd say at least four, nearer 5) to me painty Pete, but all my experience only comes into play if I can visualise a job. What are they sticking you for the access equipment?

Well done on getting to grips with all that red tape . :doff:

8. PaintyPete

I've just realised that we sent the quote off quoting for four days, oops :lol:

With the access equipment we're hoping we can get the ladder for £72.47 for the week and it's looking like £98.28 for the narrow tower scaffold. We've priced in slightly over just in case as HSS are the only company doing that ladder that cheap at the moment and that may change by the time we need it.

My business partner agreed to have a quote to them by yesterday evening ready in their inbox first thing Monday morning leaving us with the weekend (when most places that we need to call are closed) :hysterical:

Thanks! It's been a headache with the red tape but it's finally there......As I don't have to do it and it's left to one of the other Directors to manage now :hysterical:

I know this is off-topic but as a separate thing (so I know before trying to create a thread for it), are we allowed to advertise work available on the forums? We've been pulling our hair out trying to find enough painters & decorators as we're having work launched at us lately but we want to make sure we can take it all on first before saying 'yes' to clients. We usually get the jobs in and put them out to 'tender' so to speak with the painters & decorators that we know to see what people come back with.

If it's not allowed on here then I'll completely respect that of course and I can delete my paragraph there ^^^^ from this post so I don't offend anyone or get into trouble :biggrin:

9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@PaintyPete There is a Work Offered/Wanted section but it is in the PPS Club House but you need a good number of posts to get in there though.

10. PaintyPete

@mistcoat Ah ok, thanks :smile:

I'll have to see if I can get my post count up Guardians of the Galaxy style with three word posts like "I.....am.....Groot!".

Maybe even shorten it down to two words like 'Me Pete'. Then the next post 'You paint' :lol:

On a serious note though, I'll do my best to contribute more until I eventually get there :biggrin:

Something to aim for now that I know that part of the forum exists :biggrin:

Peter Humphreys likes this.