1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spooky

Discussion in 'Take a Break - off topic stuff.' started by Daf, Nov 9, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

1. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I was sitting in my office, which is my garage, it’s all racked out, and all my tools in their. I have around 12 Dewalt boxes and all stacked on the Dewalt trolleys.
    Over in on corner is around 90 ltrs of tub paint, they are stacked on each other about 7 high and a few on the left of that.

I was having a game of Red Dead Redemption II When all of a sudden, the tower of paint just toppled over and one of them, the horrid colour called “Buttermilk” :spew: split and 10 litres opened on the garage floor.
    To say I wishes the floor would swallow me up, is an understatement, it was everywhere.

2 dust sheets later, a tub of wet wipes and buckets of water, and a new mop on its way, it was clean.

So why did the tubs of paint fall? They have been their for months, and nothing?

I need to get rid of them really, I really do!

2. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hmmm all emulsion I assume by the 10l tubs??

I have a similar set up, with racking in my office to hold tools and some materials. Every now and again (not too often) I do hear oil and hybrid based 5lt tins pop and ping, I assume from the gases that build up. But would be surprised for that to happen with 10l tubs of emulsion, not least because they stack better than 5l tins in general, so shouldn't really move.

3. Daf

The tower of tubs just tipped over? I am amazed they did that!

I too get the tins pop and bang too, as I have it heated out their, but to see it topple over is spooky.

4. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

7 high says it all @Daf. @barry will tell us if part filled tubs flex and move more as there are less solids.
    Try a 5 high maximum.

Sprayandrun likes this.
  5. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Ya garage is haunted mate

6. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

A full 10L weighs approx 12kg. Say they were all full. The 6 above the bottom one weigh 72 kg.uuum!
    Maybe they were only half full. But still around 36kg.
    Also think Pete has a point.... part filled would be more flexible.
    You say they have been there a good while Daf. But a material failure is an instant event, independant of length of time of stability.
    The spooky angle? My arse!

7. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

What's spooky about ya arse Barry

ajmdecorators, Daf and ahenrypd like this.
  8. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

@barry you really are an intelligent fella .

Kevin court likes this.
  9. Daf

I lie not, that is what happened. Completely interrupted my game of red dead!

10. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Daf bloody great game!

Daf likes this.
  11. Daf

Yes it is @ajmdecorators , until you have to clear up buttermilk :spew: emulsion! :sarcastic: