1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying Leyland VM disaster. How do I sort this?

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by joe brierley, Jun 28, 2020.

1. joe brierley

joe brierley PPS Craftsman Bar Member

This weekend ive been spraying a pre primed fancy bespoke mdf wall.

It was sprung on me on friday and all i could get in a hurry was leyland vinyl matt.

Midway through the top coat the gun spat out a lump of paint!
    Gutted!
    I didnt have enough to do another coat and the normal decorators are in first thing tomorrow to emulsion the rest of the room so i need to sort it first thing!

I was using my graco gxff with a 518 tip (paint wouldn't flow nice through smaller).
    I had to run at 2100psi as well! Thinned to 5%. The machine sounded like it was really struggling.

The customer really likes the Johnstones Perfect Matt I've put elsewhere. My only querry is will it spray as badly and ive had issues with denasking perfect matt in the past where the paint tore up at the edges

2. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

Data sheet says it can be thinned a little for spraying but not to add water for brush or roller application. Not one I use myself. Guess you need to sand over with 240g and spray again with something different. I say 240g so not to damage surface. Not used the perfect finish either so can't help there. Go read data sheet I guess but not the most helpful information

joe brierley likes this.
  3. joe brierley

4. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I had a problem similar to this (different paint) with a brand new tip. I put in another new tip and new gun filter and everything was fine after that.

It could of been a faulty tip or a filter (the one with the spring) that wasn’t operating properly.

The most problems I’ve had is at the front end and not the pump or paint.

5. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Yes I have had similar with this what I found was a build up around the tip guard when spraying and you get a blob blow into the spray FFS!

I regularly check for buildup and wipe with a damp rag don't forget your gun lock!

I would of been inclined to thin a little more or put some paint conditioner in.

But one question....are you using a standard tip, LP or FFLP?

The reason for this as I have had more problems with tailing etc with FFLP tips, personally think the LP tips are a better bet with cheaper paints.

I did watch a Youtube post with a fellow in the States who added a drop of washing up liquid to help atomisation I am not sure I would chance it!

joe brierley and RonyT like this.
  6. RonyT

Sorry, to add it could be something as simple as a faulty 50p tip seat that’s causing the problem. When I have front end problems, I now just bin the tip, filter and tip seat. For the money it can save hours of down time trying to figure out what the problem is.

Wasteful I know, but I’d rather just crack on.

3 spires, joe brierley and Bobbones like this.
  7. RonyT

That’s a blumin good point about tip selection @3 spires. For UK paint that isn’t designed for spraying, I’d go for a regular Rac 5 tip (black one) or the regular Rac x tip (blue one) rather than a LP or FFLP

joe brierley likes this.
  8. joe brierley

Thanks for the advice guys
    I sprayed the wall in the end with Cleanable Johnstones matt
    Went on like a dream!!
    I can't believe what a sod some paints can be to spray

The site agent saw my work and is hopefully getting me to spray some top end kitchens!!

Bobbones likes this.
  9. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

. . . . Are you referring to yourself as the front end Tony. :hysterical:

10. RonyT

:biggrin: 9 out of 10 problems, in my case, is the numpty holding the gun

bitzz, Gazza and joe brierley like this.
  11. joe brierley

12. joe brierley

And now this has happened!?

Its like a laquer sag

Maybe i thinned the cleanable matt too much!

Attached Files:

13. joe brierley

About 10%

14. joe brierley

Attached Files:

15. RonyT

could be to heavily applied.

16. 3 spires

Hi Joe it looks like its run off the top corner looks like the paint or as @RonyT has said maybe over application if you use the same tip then move faster or go back a few inches and give it a light coat.

The joys of spraying!

17. joe brierley

Thanks guys. It looked like a sag in a clear coat sitting on the actual paint.

I think it is user error but this brings me to my other post about spraying a select few paints.... I applied it faster than id apply BM, Tikurilla, Dulux etc the ones im used too. Its possible to adjust to a slight different technique but not on a 4.5m long wall perhaps lol, that should maybe be done with whst im used to.

I see amazing potential in spraying, it earns mw good money, wins me great jobs. However every blue few months i get a problematic job that costs me so dearly in time, stress and schedule.
    I think I'll do both paint tech training academy courses when they open up again as i just need to operate smoother.

Thanks guys

18. 3 spires

You need to have more confidence in yourself @joe brierley sounds like you spray more airless than most on here including me I am unsure if a course would help with that type of issue but I know they carry alot of tips to help productivity, masking etc.

The Spraytech masking videos costs £50 maybe worth getting I have seen folks comments online raving about it.

Sounds like going AA may help with application I will be honest and say I struggle with Airless on intricate surfaces stopping to think how to opproach it without over applying, hvlp and AA are more forgiving but AA does add more complexity to things but you would need to ask others as I haven't gone into that yet. At this time perhaps a Bounce Back Loan may be the way to go I have just applied for a Business Account then a loan as I need more kit with my future plans.

I had a wobble last week with my GXFF it wouldn't pump or re circluate half way through the job, thought it was a filter blockage but all was clean ended up being the diverter valve sticking eventually freeing up but it cost me a hour!

But at least I have that knowledge for next time but I doubt a course would teach you how to sort out those types of issues.

Buckers, YTS 83' and RonyT like this.
  19. RonyT

Oooooo didn’t know there was such a video. Cheers for the heads up @3 spires :thumbsup:

Buckers and 3 spires like this.
  20. joe brierley

Yeah you do live and learn how to deal with mschine problems!
    You're right, i should be more confident! Ive sprayed over 95% of my woodwork since buying the gxff 3 years ago. I get it right almost always.
    I think when you look longterm at running a business, investing in training to get a few percent better is money well spent

ahenrypd and 3 spires like this.