1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying only a select few paints?

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by joe brierley, Jun 29, 2020.

1. joe brierley

joe brierley PPS Craftsman Bar Member

95% + of problems i have from spraying come from using trim paints other than Tikurilla, Benjamin Moore and Zinsser to name my favourite few

Soon as i get what's quick and local, ie johnstonnes i get a whole host of problems!

Dulux trade and armstead spray well but dont gel out so smooth i find.

Am i right to only spray mt favourites or am i just useless at spraying?

I find the application process varies sooo much from paint to paint when spraying, its a nightmare

When it goes right, which is most of the time its an incredible job!:smile:

Hang it all likes this.
  2. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

I hear the spray folks say spray quality paint designed to be a sprayed. I think some of the cheaper trade paint will spray but are more for roller and brush application. Also look for the data sheets as the good paints can give additional information regarding pressure as and tip size. The UK brands don't do they. Well not that I've seen

Hang it all and joe brierley like this.
  3. Hang it all

Hang it all PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Both originate in USA as far as I know, so probably more R&D done for spraying

Just spray your favourites...:thumbsup:

Armstead not bad for a cheap option. I was also pleasantly surprised by Albany VM from Brewers when I put a shed load through the airless earlier this year.

Just been spraying Crown drywall primer as a mist coat today, mostly very smooth finish, but I've got a sag that looks very much like your other post @joe brierley . Mine is definitely "pilot error" though :blush:

4. joe brierley

Thanks
    American paints certainly spray amazing for a reason.

Those clear coat type sags i have are something you can't feel and they're next to every piece of wood. They wernt there when spraying the vinyl matt.
    Im so stressed by it

Hang it all likes this.
  5. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

6. joe brierley

I think its easy to be a snob about dulux. Theyre warerbased wood paints are certainly far from bad. I do prefer Benjamin and tikurilla but that's just preference

7. joe brierley

After wasting time with Johnstones on this massive mdf wall I got some Tikurilla Helmi and did it a breeze!

Wayners and RonyT like this.