1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprayman's GX21FF

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Colour Republic, May 23, 2020.

1. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hi ya guys, hope all are well and keeping safe:thumbup:

I see a number of you have got this hybrid Graco lovingly conceived by @SpraymanUK , so looking for some feedback on it now some of you have had it for some time...

What i'm really hoping for is some bloody good reason not to buy it, so piggy gets to see another day!

065da016-1_vl_hfeeqtd6pbask3xcg2g-970x660.jpeg

2. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

How could you? He has such a sweet face...

3. Colour Republic

I know right! He's hoping I keep to my promise of never buying a Graco product again, after the disaster that was the Handheld FF Max. But it's been 8 years now and i'm starting to soften to the idea of forgiving them.

Peter Humphreys likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

It was on my list. There is no reason not to buy. Unless you are planing on spraying loads like priming houses. It's a entry level for trim and walls and ceilings. I want it with the new filter baffle and was on track to buy one now then covid hit. I follow thread with interest

Sprayandrun and Colour Republic like this.
  5. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

If it's being used continuously for large areas you might want a bigger pump. Is that a good enough reason to save piggy?

I have the smaller gxff and it has been great for domestic work. The pressure can fluctuate a little at lower pressures. I mainly use it for woodwork with the occasional ceiling and wall. I feel it might struggle if I used it all the time on walls and ceilings. Having said that it isn't the gx21 hybrid.

Colour Republic and mistcoat like this.
  6. Colour Republic

TBH 90% of its workload would be doors, windows, staircases and furniture... so would have just got a GXFF, but it’s nice to have that little bit of extra power and the option to spray the odd room from time to time... hence the very reason Sprayman thought it would be a good idea to combine the 2 machines.

ahenrypd likes this.
  7. LMDec

LMDec PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I’ve used it on about 5 refurbs & a huge Victorian house ceiling & walls. Brilliant machine. Some of the noises coming out of it now don’t sound to clever so I’m retiring it to woodwork only & getting something more powerful.

8. Wayners

Pump is easy swap on that. DIY job @LMDec

TriTech T4 or 5 next maybe?

Sprayandrun and Colour Republic like this.
  9. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Colour Republic I have the GXFF21 machine from @SpraymanUK and I think it’s brilliant.
    I’ve used it a lot in GX21 for lids and walls, mainly for misting and finishing ceilings.

The switch to FF set up is simple and to my surprise the shorter hose and thinner bore means there isn’t much wastage. If you select the right FF tip for the product the finish is really good.

I don’t spray day in day out so it’s perfect for me.

I upgraded the gun to one of these and it’s really nice to use.

I don’t have anything negative to say about it.

bitzz, Painter16, Buckers and 5 others like this.
  10. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Why did you up grade the gun mate, and what are the differences between the 2 guns?
    Got to say this thread is right up my street this week as I was got the wagner xvlp out this week for the first time in ages and think I may become a spray convert and this machine of our sponsor interests me as it does @Colour Republic

11. RonyT

@Gazza. There is nothing wrong with the graco gun supplied with the unit. I just found I had hand fatigue using it and wanted the ability from going from a 4 to a 2 finger trigger set up without changing gun.

The ease at which you can pull on the contract gun is much smoother and felt I was more in control.

It’s also very shiny and blue :biggrin:

12. Wayners

I thought that America Greco guy cuts the handle as a diy modify as he hates the 4 fingered gun. I have foggy memory of that

13. Colour Republic

Glad you mentioned the gun.!

In my head because I want the machine mainly in FF mode, I assumed it would come with the FTX 2 finger gun, but of course it doesn't, as it's a GX21 with additional hopper, hose and filter, so would come with the pre-packaged SG3 4 finger gun.

Think i'd go for the compact 2f version of the contractor gun, rather than the adjustable one. If I really wanted the 4f, i'd just swap to the SG3... but i'm also thinking of a 400mm extension ( as even though i'll really use it for walls and ceilings, have got 1 large 80sqm ceiling in mind)... and a 4.5m hose as on most jobs I take the doors off, plus for bench work... schitt this is getting expensive, gone from an £800 GXFF to a £1,400 GX21FF with accessories :headwall:

Bobbones, ahenrypd and Gazza like this.
  14. Colour Republic

On a related note... anybody know if pump armour has a shelf life?:scratchhead: Just found an 8 year old bottle on the racks

AAA39636-D5A0-4F19-AC1B-D67F283A3FB8.jpeg

15. bobajob

bobajob PPS Tradesman Bar Member

I’ve got a Graco for at least 15 years never seen pump armour always antifreeze it’s a garage that freezes no problem at all

16. RonyT

I saw the dinky version go on sale. Very small and lightweight but I’d feel inadequate :biggrin:

Peter Humphreys likes this.
  17. Colour Republic

I seem to remember a thread on here years and years back where the subject of pump amour and antifreeze coming up, and whilst both have high concentrates of ethylene glycol, I seem to remember there was one important difference :think:

who was our resident scientist? Hang on let me see if I can find the thread

18. mick partington

mick partington PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

you can,t put pump amour in your car ?

ahenrypd, mistcoat and Gazza like this.
  19. Wayners

Loads use car antifreeze it seems, however. Void warranty. Not really the right thing to use and what you actually saving. Use the proper stuff and look after your kit. You know the pump amour has been tested and shown to work without problems. If you lived in Alaska and had old sprayer that owed you nothing then maybe car antifreeze and chance it, not hear though. No point. That's what I think..

20. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

Rob, I'm sure if you ring up Mike @SpraymanUK he will talk through it all with you, and then happily relieve you of your monies, and make your wallet lighter. :biggrin:

Jason Gunter and mistcoat like this.