1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tanalised timber

Discussion in 'Coating it up - What's the best paint for...?' started by 3 spires, Aug 4, 2018.

1. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Had a few conflicting views with painting treated fence panels etc some saying it shouldn't be painted for at least 6 to 12 months others disagree.

I was thinking of using Allcoat matt I have sprayed it on fences before but on established timber.

Any thoughts?

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

If memory serves me right, Johnstone's QD Opaque should be ok. Also their solvent version.

Don't know what BM has got.

3 spires likes this.
  3. AndyClassOne

AndyClassOne PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Might be a throwback to the days when they used all sorts of chemical solvents in timber treatments, whereas these days, AFAIK, they're mostly water-based.

For instance, it says HERE that, basically, as soon as the moisture content's equalised with its surroundings, ie. dry enough to paint, you're good to go.

RonyT, 3 spires and Waynetta like this.
  4. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I’ve had good results with Allcoat satin black on a new summer house. Spoke to HO a few weeks ago and she says still looking like new 2 years on.

Bobbones and 3 spires like this.
  5. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

My Bro-in-law has just had a gate made up and they have used tanalised timber. Think All coat will be my best bet.
    Did you bother with a primer or straight on ?

6. Waynetta

Wiped down and straight on. :thumbsup: I’ve also been back to look at a job I did 4 years ago. Victorian terrace. Loads of filler. Looking great from road level.

RonyT likes this.
  7. Puma

Puma PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

As @AndyClassOne says I think in the old days creosote would have posed a problem. Nowadays most wood seems to be preserved with Tanatone and Tanalith both of which look completely non toxic and non reactive. The exception is if you see blue green crystals on the woods surface - you will need to wash that away thoroughly - it is just copper sulphate but it is acidic and not good for acylic based paint. Otherwise the Tanatone site says as soon as the wood is absorbent you can paint it.

Also being a bit of HnS nutcase I have to share the fact that they used to use arsenic and chromium ingredients to preserve wood. I just looked it up thinking 'probably banned back in the 1980's', but no Copper Chrome Arsenic (CCA) approval ceased in September 2006. So that's something to be aware of if chopping, burning or sanding old treated wood. :oldman:

mistcoat, 3 spires, Tomcio and 4 others like this.
  8. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Cheers chaps :doff:

9. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

How fast was you going @Waynetta?
    :hysterical:

Tomcio, bitzz and ahenrypd like this.
  10. Waynetta

Cheeky. I was in the van so not very

3 spires, Tomcio, bitzz and 1 other person like this.