1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terraco Handycoat Interior

Discussion in 'The Review Centre - reviews of tools & products.' started by Wayners, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

I've been using Terraco Handycoat Interior on the last two jobs and I found it brilliant. Previous purchases of this type of product has not gone so well but I've found this ready mixed skim coat brilliant. What it's good for is a thin skim. I've used on emulsion that was orange peal surface and as a spot filler which it is amazing at snagging up. To skim a wall after removing paper, a wiz with 80g mesh, I've used beeline to seal although I think it would go over gardz a treat. I never had any gardz so used beeline.
    Seems so versatile I've used on skirting and doorframes to smooth over woodwork as you would with fine surface filler.
    It's brilliant at spot filling after first coat of emulsion, as it takes out imperfections so easy. I use my filling knife to apply then 240g to sand (minimal if needed) then paint over and you can't see it. No need to prime. BM regal was covering filled spots in one coat this week.
    Drying is quick. For spot filling 15-30mins max especially with a fan on.
    For complete wall skims I smooth on and if needed I've wet sponge then another second coat in 90 minutes.
    I'm only using for thinly applied skims but it can says it be used over artex, but I've not tried as not sure about that. It's only good for 2mm thickness, so not good for filling holes or anything deep so artex would need to be a shallow pattern to skim. I've been using standard lightweight filler on anything deep like holes then 30 minutes later over with Terraco. Also used this for applying mesh tape to cracks and worked a treat.
    Just need to say this in not thick stuff. It's very sloppy but it's glass smooth application, and I've not needed to use any of my usual toupret powder. Just too easy popping lid and take a bit out vs mixing powder.
    You buy direct (not mobile site, go for desktop view) at £10.50 for 5kg tub (which is half full tub) with £10 delivery. I bought 4 last order (£52) and used 3 tubs to skim small bedroom walls. This is not the same product as @mistcoat 4t as that's a lightweight product while I think this is not. For bigger jobs 4t maybe better value. They were marketing terreco at the painting decorating show 2019 with demos. Definitely worth buying a couple to try imo, if only for general filling. Many here would like it for snagging and filling and taping cracks imo. No messing about mixing up, which saves time with no wastage. Going to order some 4t soon as keen to try that for interest

[​IMG]

You can watch video below. I bang on then use putz to flatten but any large blade will work. Their quoted drying times seem a bit long to me as I've two coated in a morning no problem. 180-240 mechanical sand no problem with very little dust.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Buckers, Gazza, Oldcity and 6 others like this.
  2. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Never heard of the stuff before. Sounds like a winner @Wayners thanks, and I'll defo order a tub

3. Wayners

Yeah it's brilliant stuff. I contacted rep to inquire about 25kg tubs but that comes on a pallet. There are a few places around that carry stock but nothing around me so rep said to buy the 5kg tubs off net. Not worked out how many tubs you can get for £10 delivery but i managed 4 last time. I did split one tub in smaller old filler pots and added some yellow pigment to one. Smaller tub is handy. I was so impressed with wood being filled and on another job I smoothed over some coving face all around room. Hardly any sanding and sprayed it which turned out amazing considering how rough it was. I recommended to start using as a filler for imperfections but not old drill holes... Tip. When filling and making good small areas, get damp sponge around the filled edges as you go. It's always that edge where filler stops that is the pain, but flash around with sponge, even if you get slight sponge lines as they sand out easily without that being a problem. I do that with most filled or cracks I've taped

Sprayandrun and Tomcio like this.
  4. RonyT

Does it flash ?

5. Wayners

No. Nothing. Paints over a treat. Never bothered priming Think it's the acrylic that's already in it that's stopping the flashing. Used both Regal and dulux retail and dulux trade emulsion over it. All I'd say is the retail dulux took two coats to cover. It's not good paint and that proves it. After sanding there is very little dust on surface vs easyfill and others. Who here is cringing when black suited customer brushes past some sanded walls :shocked: omg look the other way:whistle: You could get away with this I think.

Tomcio likes this.
  6. RonyT

Just ordered some :thumbsup:. Let you know

Wayners likes this.
  7. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

General info on the website
    Shelf life 24 months
    TDS- Storage 18 months
    :no:
    Sorry we don't sell to Ireland:sarcastic:

Jason Gunter likes this.
  8. Wayners

OK.
    Must have be something similar over your way. So much of this type of stuff about its just a case of finding one that works for you..

Tomcio likes this.
  9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

That's worth noting, @Wayners
    Ta for the share pal :thumbup:

Wayners likes this.
  10. Wayners

Using again today taping cracks. Great stuff. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Is it good at levelling? Or is it better as a surfacer?

12. Wayners

Surface coat but will level out 2mm depth.. Ive just taped crack and smooth over bonding...Coving was falling down as plaster skim was coming off artex. Ro90 off the artex back to original 1960s plaster. Seal. Bonding and finish plaster mix to dub out. Dustless sand that back. Seal then handy coat smooth.. I'll cove now then paint after another handy coat and sand.. But with nice straight blade you can level out surface nice on wall or ceiling.. I like it vs others I used. Dries quickly [​IMG]

13. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Cheers. Will have to try some.

14. Wayners

My favorite blade [​IMG]

Tomcio and grumpyvandriver like this.
  15. RonyT

Gloves ! He wares gloves, gloves I tells ya.
    At least I’m not alone glove buddy :friends:

Wayners likes this.
  16. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just wondering @Wayners if you still use the Handycoat, just noticed they are at this year's show in one of the theatres doing a demo.

17. Wayners

@Gazza

Not got any at the moment but its still the one I like the most from all the ones I've tried. Swing by stand and have a look and take a sample pot. I'm going to bandit a pot. Good on woodwork and walls.
    I so wish these products were amazon prime. Ha

18. Slinger

Slinger PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Wayners can artex be scrapped off a ceiling normally? or is it a case of trying to make flattish(raking) for final skims.
    And is there a chance of asbestos content in 80's jobs.
    thanks

19. Wayners

80s you say, is highly likely to have asbestos in so don't touch it until tested.
    Last lot of asbestos I seen was 1988 - 90 but some say it was still around for longer but not with any of the big brands or smaller ones I knew.

If it's OK you can scrape off and skim over with one of the ready mixed or whatever your happy to use. I'd give it a coat of gardz prior to skim though. Others sealers about but that's a good one that works.
    That what you wanted to know?

Slinger likes this.
  20. Slinger

Slinger PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

:thumbsup: customer asked if I'd skim.. But might leave. as i think it was a 80-90's artex. Don't fancy breathing in that schitt.
    Or the bother if it doesn't come off well enough. (does it come of in chunks?)