1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Poor Workmanship Thread.

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by mistcoat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Take the light bulb out when you finish the job... just like the plasterer did when he started the job.

Bronco, rowland cutting, Kev and 6 others like this.
  2. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Dont get me wrong mate, there is no way I'd leave a job looking crap just because the previous trades have made a mess, it needs to be put right, I just believe 'we' as the trade that has to make everyone's work look good shouldn't have to pay with financial loss in doing so.

bagshot, ahenrypd, 3 spires and 4 others like this.
  3. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

The trouble is we can only do so much unless time and money is not a issue but how often is that?

These jobs are turds and even though we can polish them up they are still crap!

I am all for getting these A-holes back in to sort out their mess but 9 times out of 10 they will not turn up or make a bigger balls up than before.

I really can't see a answer unless you make the plasterer mistcoat their work and inspect for snags but no doubt they would use neat cheap crap emulsion with a crap B&Q roller and put in some PVA for good measure as they know what they are doing! and charge the painters money and still leave the job looking crapolia, but telling all and sundry what a sh#t hot trade they are..... perhaps they need to leave out the hot bit!

Bronco, Buckers, RonyT and 4 others like this.
  4. bitzz

bitzz PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I was working with my spreader yesterday he was skimming a bedroom out whilst I was working in another room, showed him these pics and told him not get any ideas. Anyway, after I picked him up off the floor could not make out if he was laughing or crying he just stood there shaking his head in disbelief at what I’d showed him.
    I think his polite answer was schoolboy error and should not be allowed to pick a trowel again.
    When I follow on from him if there’s more than 5 grollies or blemishes he gets a phone call or text. Never had to do it yet.
    I must be bloody lucky.

Buckers, Tomcio and ahenrypd like this.
  5. deanthedecorator

deanthedecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

It's a real shame because a good plasterer is worth his weight in gold and despite having a go myself now and again it's bloody hard work. It's just a shame that in my experience 80% of the plastering trade is full of cowboys and the 20% of craftsmen are booked well in advance. which means the client will end up getting wobbly Bob and his drug dealing mates to do the job.

Tomcio, Redhousepainter and crj like this.
  6. bitzz

bitzz PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Absolutely, I have to schedule my work around my spreader explain this to client and why, and so far it has been accepted.

deanthedecorator likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

This is pre primed wickes mdf. Gee. :smash:

IMG_20191118_133707_compress69.jpg

8. PhillyThePainter

PhillyThePainter PPS Craftsman Bar Member

I got all of my pre-primed MDF skirting for my house from Skirting UK and it’s beautiful... you can sand 2 pack without going back to bare mdf :yay:

9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Pay peanuts... :biggrin:

10. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks like it's been rolled in peanuts!!!

Tomcio, bagshot and RonyT like this.
  11. Wayners

Skirting had to match rest of house :facepalm:

12. Oldcity

Oldcity PPS Time Served

Tomcio likes this.
  13. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

That's how I'd imagine everybody's favourite Balding Corpse's trim to look like after he's been let loose with a spray gun. Surely tits like this need a license or something for such machinery.

Redhousepainter, Tomcio and mistcoat like this.
  14. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

What an absolute throbber

Tomcio and crj like this.
  15. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

There selling it like that ,really

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  16. Wayners

Update..

I sanded down skirting best I could. Mirka sponge pads outside after I cut them to smooth off. Its ok I think.

Stuck skirting on with foam gun today. Hand spray mist of water to help the foam stick then 2 pack in joints so no nails or screws to fill. :thumbsup:

See how it coats tomorrow. Hvlp with otex akva over this mdf. High hide might build out better but I decide tomorrow. Xvlp advanced gloss over.
    Laura Ashley paper on walls later this week.

17. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Why do you use foam instead of adhesive mate ?

18. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I have been varnishing some oak doors ,this is the quality from a so called chippy.:cry::cry::shocked::shocked::shocked::spew::spew::spew:

Attached Files:

mistcoat likes this.
  19. Wayners

Foam is adhesive. Fills out if not very smooth. Sick dado rail or anything with foam. Used to use grip fill and solvent free mastic but foam is way better.
    Faster. Cheaper. Better.

20. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

What's he got in his tool bag, a Woodpecker :hysterical:

stevy and barry like this.