1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Poor Workmanship Thread.

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop - General Paint Trade Discussion.' started by mistcoat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mrjoseleite

mrjoseleite PPS Tradesman

This is a job I had to put right this summer.
    A custom made loft hatch.
    IMG_0192_opt.jpg

IMG_0193_opt.jpg
    This was after removing some plain shelves. Somehow they ended up removing the paint from the walls and left some big holes to fill.
    IMG_0195_opt.jpg
    And nails not punched through
    IMG_0197_opt.jpg

2. mrjoseleite

mrjoseleite PPS Tradesman

These were not the worse of the sills he fitted.

IMG_0198_opt.jpg IMG_0199_opt.jpg

IMG_0202_opt.jpg

He only worked weekends and evenings and his dad helped him along.

He took the tiles in the kitchen and "replastered" the walls with three coats of Polyfilla. When he sanded there was a layer of dust in most of the ground floor.

Just happy I put curtains up in doorways when I realised what he was doing.

3. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

looks typical of sitework to me

4. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

No wonder the Eastern Europeans are taking over!

5. MrHarriDec

MrHarriDec PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Felt I could probably add to this thread with a disaster job that we did for a London Borough Council earlier in the year.

It was six new build townhouses, and the work from every other trade was an absolute joke. The plasterers actually got slung off the job, because their work was so abismal, before they had finished and we were left to pick up the pieces. Also the carpentry was unbelievably bad, our bill for making good and repairing everyone elses crap work more than doubled the original contract value which, by some miracle, was paid in full!!

I have only put up a few of the pictures (I have hundreds!!!) from which you can see how poor the work is.

photo1.JPG photo2.JPG photo3.JPG photo4.JPG photo5.JPG photo6.JPG photo7.JPG photo8.JPG

6. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

Thanks for sharing those shocking pics :omg:, good job you got paid in full though eh :thumbsup:

7. ready1873

ready1873 PPS Tradesman

Jesus, what a mess!

8. andyrolls

andyrolls PPS Craftsman Bar Member

Blimey! they really are shocking, please tell me they was done by jonny foreigner, I'm doing some work for Berkley supposedly high end builds, african dry liners how they can call themselves tradesman is beyond me.

9. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

That is animal!!! How is it allowed to go on? They deserve to be named and shamed across the whole construction industry and on telly for turning out rubbish such as that.

Cheers for sharing and what a post to return with, Mr. H.:smile:

10. MrHarriDec

Crazy stuff eh Tim!

It wouldn't be very professional of me to name the contractor but they are reasonably well known, I had never seen anything near this bad before and hope not to again. It should have been stopped way before it got to us but we fixed most of it and it got swept under the carpet. Ssssh!:whistle:

11. mistcoat

Oooh no, don't name them here. We'll all get shot by those who carried out the work :biggrin:

12. wall2wall

wall2wall PPS Master Craftsman

Each and every one of them should be subjected to this

[attachment=1989]

13. Oregandec

Oregandec PPS Master Craftsman

That just made me cross my legs!!

14. handypainter

This week i'm working for a repeat client and am carrying out some work on one of his properties prior to it being sold. This property is only 4 years old and "built" by Wainhomes :rolleyes:

Some tiles were falling off a boxed-in section in the kitchen and on investigating why they were falling off I noticed the silicone between the worktop and bottom edge of the tiles had failed and there was now a large gap. On grabbing hold of the front edge of the work top I could easily lift it up and down. Underneath this section there was a freestanding washing machine and dishwasher. There was no support for the whole length of worktop covering the two appliances :headwall: Not one bit of batten to support it (apart from at the very end). The boxed-in section was not even fixed to anything and relied on silicone to hold it all in place.

Mind the gap :lol:
    [​IMG]

This section was hurriedly made from a bit of skirting and chipboard flooring :omg::omg: no wonder the tiles were falling off :lol:

[​IMG]

15. mistcoat

My life already!!! :shocked:

Nice to see this thread still kicking out the cowboys :thumbsup:

16. MrHarriDec

I've seen a few houses where the only thing holding them together is silicone and expanding foam :lol:

17. mistcoat

I think all builders should be banned from buying Expanding Foam, PVA and Silcone.
    They know Jack Schitt on where, how or why to use them.

I need that special smiley again Big Al :biggrin:

18. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Staff Member Bar Member

only just catching up with the last few entries in this thread:huh::huh:

I mean what the hell is this!!!!

[​IMG]

I reckon you could put a few stud wall around it and get a spare bedoom out of it, it's that big!

19. MrHarriDec

Terrible isn't it. Although it did give them somewhere to lock the JCBs and dumpers away of a night time.

20. handypainter

Same property as my last entry, one of the jobs on my list was to "fix door latch". There was nothing wrong with the door latch, apart from being so far away from the keep it was never going to catch :lol: Even after packing the hinges out as much as I could with two part filler (thats all I could do in the timescale) there was a pretty good gap on the latch side...

[​IMG]

Just don't ever look at the hinge side :omg:

On walking past a second floor bedroom this caught my eye

[​IMG]

I hope you can see that the deccie had completely missed topcoating this single panel of a six panel door :omg: