1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tikkurila equivalent to Aura eggshell?

Discussion in 'Coating it up - What's the best paint for...?' started by greenbank, Jul 14, 2020.

1. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

As above, what would be the nearest equivalent in terms of sheen/finish and durability? Just trying to get to know the vast wilderness of the Tik range better as I've been impressed with most of their stuff I have tried while being well aware of the differences between them and BM. I find I am picking and mixing between the two for most jobs these days. Any suggestions appreciated :doff:

2. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Helmi 10 would be quite close?

greenbank likes this.
  3. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

The everal range is good

greenbank and mistcoat like this.
  4. greenbank

Yeah I had earmarked the Everal for next order. There doesn't really seem to be a finish between matt and their semi-gloss level though, unless I'm missing something...?

5. LMDec

LMDec PPS Craftsman Bar Member

If you’re used to BM woodwork paints I wouldn’t drop to Tikk. Opacity & whiteness a million miles away.

6. greenbank

I have heard this before, but I barely use brilliant white on woodwork these days so it's more for colours on cabinets and so on. I'd probably use quite a bit more Scuff-x if it came in quarts :dunno:

Tomcio and Sprayandrun like this.
  7. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

The Scuff- x sizing is a pain. I’m using Regal Pearl on jobs now where this is an issue. It’s a bit more involved to get the nice finish but I’m convinced it’s as tough as Scuff & it doesn’t polish up like other paints can. As all BM paint, opacity is superb.

Sprayandrun and greenbank like this.
  8. Village Decor

Village Decor PPS Time Served

I've been using everal aqua for a while now, funnily enough I emailed my contact at Pro center Gareth today as I'm interested in trying the solvent based Everal on my next exterior. As mentioned previously the whites may need an extra coat but I found that with Scuff x chantilly lace. The Everal aqua sprays better in a colour I've found , I sprayed my 7 year old sons bunk bed in a midnight blue, its taken a hammering but no scuffs,scratches or marks after one year including the treads. Used the otex primer today. Quick drying solvent,impressed so far .
    Hope that helps:thumbsup:

Sprayandrun and greenbank like this.
  9. Village Decor

I'm Currently working on an external using Everal 30 in F &B colour dorset cream. Windows have been stripped where necessary, spot primed with ali primer, prepped and one full coat of otex. Bit more prep, spot primed with otex followed by 2 full coats of Everal 30. I'm quite impressed , going to give all leading edges and cills an extra lick over not for coverage as that's spot on but I'm a sucker for an extra coat. All off a cherry picker, Nifty 21 and Nifty 12.
    You have to watch working in direct sunlight as the product does need thinning and brushes need livening up and cleaned after a few hours but a nice solid eggshell finish.
    Good Solvent Product .

Bobbones, RonyT and Tomcio like this.
  10. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Tik told me you can “box” the matt and semi to get to satin.

greenbank likes this.
  11. Village Decor

The Everal 30 is Very flat.
    Similar to an old school Eggshell.

greenbank and Bobbones like this.
  12. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Is that a Tik Box then?

Village Decor, greenbank and RonyT like this.