Trusted Caulk Brands

Discussion in 'The Pit Stop' started by Colour Republic, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Active Member Staff Member

Now this is a little bit of a funny one as I know that certain caulks that I personally don't have a problem with, others do! So in that regard i'm aware we won't all agree, but....

What are your favorite caulks.. and why?

(that sound like a blind date question :lol: )
  2. Lee

Lee Member

Wurth acrylic sealant.

So far, for me, I haven't had any issues with crazing. With other brands i have. Maybe because its more flexible, IDK :scratchhead:
  3. brushmark

brushmark New Member

For me it's everebuild. This may be surprising to some but that's the only one I've not had any issues with.
  4. Oregandec

Oregandec New Member

Ditto :thumbsup:
  5. Aggie

Aggie New Member

Painters Mate
    Geocel 480

The 480 has anti mildew properties & is good around windows, especially plastic ones.

Painters Mate for general purpose.

No issues with either, for me.
  6. brushmate

brushmate New Member

Been trying the wurth recently and we are finding it much better than a lot of the others for not cracking.
  7. FreshDecorators

FreshDecorators New Member

DULUX rules yehhhh
  8. coxy

coxy Member

Me too. Been using it for about four years now. Also seems to set up quicker than some others so get to paint it sooner.:thumbsup:
  9. Duluxdaz

Duluxdaz New Member

Dulux crazes on it????
    The whole debate around paints and Caulk is certainly a weird one.
  10. chris spence

chris spence New Member

Dulux, painters mate and MP for doors windows etc "dependant on budget"
    Regurlary i use dulux and painters mate.
    Fat Hogs caulk aint bad.
    I have no issues, i u/c all my caulking no matter what the job, i carry a little ltr of crown full coat in my kit just for caulking.:nodyes:
  11. Designanddecor

Designanddecor Active Member

It just seems ridiculous to me that you should have to undercoat caulk. The idea of caulk is to make your life easier not harder, might as well use filler the time it takes. The bottom line of this is, the caulk used to be ok, now its not, they must have changed it so why cant they change it back?!! Another cost cutting exercise by companies that couldn't care less. It would just be nice if someone from a caulk manufacturing company came forward and told us why it no longer performs as it should.
  12. wall2wall

wall2wall New Member

Is it not more to do with the paint changing than the caulk changing considering since the VOC requirements came into effect paint manufacturers are constantly changing not only the binder content of paint but also the pigments/colourants that are used to create paint bases. The price of the paints are always on the increase and the cost of cheaper ingredients is leaving paint performance on the decrease.

But as usual if anyone were to contact the paint manufacturers they would be told that they have had no complaints.
  13. Colin

Colin Member

As we're all choosing our own favorite brand of caulk, I'll say Arbo-caulk is my fave.

Anyone remember when caulk used to occasionally stain through emulsion, like a faint oily stain? Doesn't happen any more
  14. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator Active Member

What's the reason you use that?

I've mentioned before I'm the caulk king ive tryd more caulks than I care to remember. Forget crazing the most comon problem is they don't do there job NOT flexible enough, every house I go in I see caulk that's not worked. The best solution to this is No Nonsense Anti Crack Sealent ;)
  15. kirk

kirk Active Member

Have you checked the longevity of No Nonsense Anti Crack Sealent in comparison to decorators caulk?
  16. CheshireDecorator

how does that work? we already know caulk is cheap crap so doesn't last so I know the longevity of that!! anti crack sealent is more flexible FACT. maybe ill do some time tests an update in 5years :winky:
  17. andyrolls

andyrolls Member

Still does on crown vinyls imo
  18. kirk

kirk Active Member

Yes it is cheap crap... but it doesn't always crack and is it really always the flexibility of caulk thats the problem? so I was wondering what makes the anti crack sealant a more suitable product to use on the tops of skirting boards etc. I mean oil based coatings aren't really flexible are they?
  19. CheshireDecorator

Yes its either due to flexibility or the sealant not sticking to the substrate. You put caulk around a cracked window frame I will 100% say it will crack again. Then go look at some real sealant on the outside an it will be fine. Its all about trying your best an I don't think putting caulk everywhere is trying your best I'm a perfectionist so things like cracks etc really piss me off so for years I try diffrent methods an this method is the one im most comfortable with, im not saying its bomb proof but its a better option than caulk imo
  20. kirk

kirk Active Member

Thank you. But you shouldn't be caulking the inside of windows etc anyway? isn't that a job for silicone? Well I suppose it would depend on the type of window but I know most pvc and new build windows are silicone on internal and external.

Anyway I will give it a ago no harm in trying it out so thanks for your opinion cheshire :1: