1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varnished wood and stix

Discussion in 'Coating it up - Help what's the best paint for...?' started by Sprayandrun, Nov 10, 2019 at 7:04 PM.

1. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Out of the regular stix users how many of you go straight on varnished wood with stix as i did a large job and i presume the older worn varnish let through on the wood so had to recoat a few doors with zinsser but the rest were perfect.
    I have 3 bedrooms with fitted varnished wood wardrobes coming up soon so would you guys and girls zinsser first or just for the stix and take the risk.

2. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

Bin it is my vote. What's going on after that?

If you don't want to get sprayer dirty. Roll and a few warmed tins of bin for edges..

Are you spraying? Daft question but just checking

Sprayandrun and ahenrypd like this.
  3. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

4. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I'd personally go for shellac based to go over varnish.
    The only down side of shellac based is that it is brittle so any knocks tend to make it pop off. (experienced in my own gaff with clumbsy kids/wife elephants, on banister.)
    Given up on BIN, prefer @Smith & Rodger 's blockade...………. which is now supplied by the same stockist that does BM and now Tikurilla 10 minutes drive away.
    :biggrin:

I'm 99.999999% sure that @BenjaminMooreUK said that as long as the old varnish surface was properly prepped and there was no risk of tannin bleed, Stix would be just fine. Although not done it myself yet.
    It's a great bonding primer IMO,

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 8:53 PM
  5. B Richardson Decorating

B Richardson Decorating PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Yes have had similar with stix, but its a adhesion primer without blocking properties. I normally go over with HH, so that blocks the tannin bleed. Hate using anything shellac, unless I really have to.

3 spires, White Pele and Sprayandrun like this.
  6. Sprayandrun

I was hoping to use stix then topcoat in scuff x or maybe aura.
    Just didn't want brush due to the extra time so was hoping to avoid Zinsser etc.

So would high hide adhere well enough to varnish as i haven't used that before.
    Thanks everyone

7. B Richardson Decorating

Have had issues before on laminated finish doors with HH, so would err on the side of caution and use stix over varnish, not saying HH won't stick well after good prep. But would you want the chance of a fail?

Sprayandrun, Tomcio and barry like this.
  8. Sprayandrun

I used stix recently on varnished cupboards and about 4 i needed to recoat with zinsser coverstain as it was bleeding through.
    Would love to just spray stix but last experience makes me wonder if it can be used on warn varish.

9. B Richardson Decorating

Have used Zinsser 123 Plus before to good affect , and has blocking properties. Never sprayed it, worth a try on a sample piece?

Sprayandrun likes this.
  10. White Pele

White Pele PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I’ve used this method plenty of times, and to date never had a problem. I’ve also, after a thorough prep and meths wash down, gone straight on with HH, no bleed or adhesion problems.

11. Sprayandrun

@B Richardson Decorating thanks for the idea, i always thought the plus worked well just got into buying bm mode now.
    I will remember that for next time.

12. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Never used the 123 plus I have heard alot of mixed reviews and when I did want to try it out I couldn't find anywhere that stocked it.

Does anyone use it regularly?

Highhide does adhere exceptionally well but I would always do the prep even with adhesion primers, it maybe a bit of a faff but a Stix first and if it bleeds then Highide 2nd coat or if its a very heavy stain it would be coverstain or a shellac.

Buckers, ahenrypd and mistcoat like this.
  13. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Noam knows Bar Member

I'd use Coverstain rather than BIN , better adhesion :yes:

3 spires and mistcoat like this.
  14. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I hadn't encountered any issues either when using Coverstain over old varnish or woodstain.

3 spires and Redhousepainter like this.
  15. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Yep and a better finish than shellac paints.

16. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Oh yes!
    Coverstain did rub down nice. Only thing I don't like now with it is the smell. I still have 2 x 2.5's on the van, but haven't opened them in yonks.
    It was always my go to for many things :yes: