1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window film protection

Discussion in 'Preparation - ways to go about it.' started by Wayners, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Wayners

Wayners Happy to be alive. Bar Member

Just trying this out. Never used before [​IMG]

2. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

Is that the stuff on a roll with tape along the top? I use that a lot on windows and fitted wardrobes/kitchens. The static keeps it stuck to the glass even without the tape.

3. Wayners

Bought from Cheltenham. Same shop I linked to for putz spatula. 100m x300cm as that's all they had. £10. Put it on one side of patio door as testing. Sticks well. Thick plastic, will leave on for a week and see how it comes off. They were low on stock but god is it amazing looking at the scrapers and filling knifes ect. I took video inside and might put up here..

All the tiny filling knives and small corner blades. Good customer service too. Never seen stuff like it for sale.

4. Wayners

They sell that window film in 500 and 300mm width. I think it's used for spray render ect and guess most use outside? Anyway I'm using inside so we will see what happens over the coming week. I'm going back to shop next week and might pick up a roll or masonry masking tape. Was £3.50 I think. I buy the exterior drop cloths and maybe of interest to some here with all this outside painting going on. Out of stock of the 2.7m drop cloth at the moment. They come with tape that's like pvc cloth tape so will take the weather. I buy because it's cheap and big and use inside. Anyone used or aware of similar exterior drop cloth?

https://www.plasterers1stopshop.co....duct/product&path=267_273_276&product_id=1551

5. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Wayners.
    That was a good price for the window film.
    I just paid £55 for 2 rolls of 600 x 100m rolls, delivered, and I thought that was a decent price
    Let us know how you get on with it.

Wayners likes this.
  6. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Don't use the blue film for covering black PVC in full sun blast it will most likely leave the adhesive residue.

Bobbones and grumpyvandriver like this.
  7. Wayners

I was worried about that, however have you seen the masking tape test on youtube and the adhesive on some tapes can take hundreds of degrees. Folks bake in oven as a test. I'm hopping this stuff will take the summer heat. I should research a bit more. Maybe there is time limit for this stuff? I'll research

Tomcio likes this.
  8. grumpyvandriver

This is the one I use. Didn’t have any problems last year, but mind you when I used it it was not overly sunny. And was only left on for 3 days maximum. So perhaps I was lucky. The one I used was blue, not clear, think they sell both, used blue as it really stands out and looks as if your professional and caring with your work, to passers by.

https://www.proguardproducts.co.uk/.../window-protection-film-clear-50m-x-600mm/129

9. Wayners

grumpyvandriver likes this.
  10. grumpyvandriver

I have limited experience using the film, only used on 2 external jobs so far, and I like it but must admit I used to use tapes and light plastic, but this film is a little more expensive to buy but I saved £‘s on the labour costs. Came off nicely, but like I say it was not in the sun, like we have had recently.

Wayners likes this.
  11. Wayners

This blue window protection has been on over a week now and still fine. I put some over the kitchen laminate floor last week and that's good too. Supposed to be OK for 40 days I think but it's a worry first time you use this stuff. I think you could use over worktops or any hard surface no problem...

12. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

I bought the clear has the listing had ended on the blue one
    Instructions over leaf for the View attachment 16758

Attached Files:

13. grumpyvandriver

just thought I’d update on the window film I use. As we all know the last weeks hot weather was rather hot . The pro guard film I used, was in full sun from midday onwards until sundown, after 3 days it came off really easily and clean. Mind you after applying fungicide to the walls, we then clean the windows before applying the window protection.
    One thing I would say is that if pulling off while film is in full sun it does stretch and requires a little more pulling in removing, but still easy, but when not heated up by the sun or indeed has cooled down, so easy to peel off. Used the Scotch green 2” tape on the brickwork plinth, then tape and plastic roll protection attached to the green Scotch tape. Sticks v well to brickwork, and at times it was v breezy, and was still on next morning.
    A0F01AEC-E369-41DC-B8FD-001F4AEE28F3.jpeg

Iain79, Wayners, Jason Gunter and 2 others like this.
  14. Wayners

And at £23 for 100m that's good value. Be good to over tiles and showers.

15. Jason Gunter

I used the clear the other day on new and old windows.
    It stuck fast in places to the older windows (gets morning sun)
    So i will be keeping an eye on it in future and will get the blue film instead i think

16. Wayners

The clear film is twice the price of the blue? I'm thinking for some situations the blue is not ideal if your working inside. I used the blue I bought inside and it came off a treat but gives a hue. (first time using the word hue and not sure if correct)

17. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Don’t know if Tikkurila do a window protection, but they do carry hard floor and carpet protector.

18. Jason Gunter

Will be worth trying the clear inside to see if i come across the same problem.The windows and patio doors it happened on looked like they have seen a bit of weather and wondering if that is the problem has i didnt have a problem with the front windows which were only a few years old and were foiled with the brown wood effect.

19. Wayners

I cleaned glass with solvent cleaner and microfibre cloth. Only a quick wipe over prior to the film.

20. grumpyvandriver

I just used a bit of window vinegar and buffed, get the dust off, let dry for 10 mins then on with the film.

Wayners likes this.