1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window repair

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by handypainter, Apr 16, 2012.

1. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

Just posted a couple of these pics to a blog article but have treated you lot to the complete album :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Welsh Decorator

Welsh Decorator PPS Master Craftsman

Repair Care or Timberbuild?

Nice collection of B&Q power tools! :whistle:

Nice job in the end pic. :thumbsup:

3. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Good work there mate, notsure if you or anyone else knows that you can now get 2in1 repaire care tubes that go in standard caulk guns.

4. Welsh Decorator

For the price CD, they work out expensive and you are only getting about half of the double set up, OK for a small one off job tho.

5. handypainter

Now we all know where WD gets his bestest paint brushes from :lol:

Resin was Timbabuild, haven't yet used Repaircare, apart from the Dry Seal which is brilliant btw. Will deffo be trying the RC if its available in standard skeleton guns though so thanks for the heads up:good2:
    [hr]
    Even so WD it will be an ideal tester for me rather than have to buy another extrusion tool eh? :yes:

6. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

nice job

that takes me back using the circular saw to form the drip, I now use a cove bit in a router, much safer

take care of kick back when the blade doesnt clear the bottom of the timber as theres a danger of grab on the blade

7. Welsh Decorator

Moi? ...... brushes? ....... heah heah!

Personally, I believe that the repair care system is better from the point of it has a primer system, which act's like a grain sealer, esp on end grain's.
    Other than that, I believe that both both systems are similar, but the R-C does really need the appropriate gun, unless you go for as CD has posted the 2 in 1 tube. Just don't forget the primer! Two little bottles of Dry Flex 4! :thumbsup:

8. handypainter

Haha, cheers Mike you caught me out there :lol:. Just not used to having a router on the van lol (now I have so much more room). Or maybe just a bit..............umm...........lazy :whistle:

9. handypainter

Timbabuild also has a primer system called EWS. The primer has two parts to it, and should be applied to seal end grain, and also strengthen weakened wood fibres prior to application of the epoxy filler.

10. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

it wasnt really directed at you Alan as you had the timber well clamped and most saws are now made with a clutch to prevent the saw going back into you, on a short length of unfixed timber the saw can kick the timber out and believe me you get no warning

I mentioned it as a reminder to anyone reading the thread

11. handypainter

Good point there Mike. It should take you way longer to make the work piece safe than to actually perform the cut.

12. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Nice job there alan what paint did you finish it off with?

13. handypainter

Thanks Jimmy. This was the first time I used the Dulux Weathershield Quick Drying System. Got quite a nice finish with it (satin) and it is easy to apply and quick drying, but it is a 4 coat system imo and not a 3.

Superdec is still the favourite :yes:

14. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

Nice finished job there Handy:thumbsup:

Did you bed the new bottom bead on with the repair care dry seal or just whatever you had in the van?

15. handypainter

Thanks Aggie.

Wish you hadn't asked about the Dry Seal though as its a bit of a sore subject :whistle: As you know i'm a big fan of it but my suppliers don't seem to be :whistle:

I used Sikaflex EBT, so yes whatever I had in the van, although the EBT is superior to most alternatives.

16. josephandson

josephandson PPS Time Served

I'm always so impressed by that kind of work because its not something I've ever done. A wooden window is such a rarity in this part of the world, and people round here would rather put in UPVC than spend the money doing a quality bit of craft like that. Nice one +1

17. chris spence

chris spence PPS Master Craftsman

great job mate, like JS i would like something similar a bit more often, just so i can try the repaircare :whistle: :thumbsup:

18. bagshot

bagshot PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Brewers can get it in a few days,well they can at Derby

19. Liz E

Liz E Repair Care Wizard Vendor

Hello J&S
    Not sure where in Ireland your based?
    But last month when I was in Belfast there was talk of Ulster Heritage looking to specify the Repair Care system, although concerns were raised due to the lack of trained contractors there
    :dunno:
    So, I would think there is some market - but a lack of awareness of what can actually be done sympathetically and cost effectively
    :sad:
    [hr]
    All DDC's and Brewers should be able to get it the following day, as long as order is placed before midday
    :smilie:

20. handypainter

Have been in contact with Frank from Repair Care and we have arranged a demo day at my local Brewers for next Tuesday. He has been able to inform me that I will be able to source Repair Care products in Cornwall from Brewers, DDC and Rabarts :thumbsup: