1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st exterior BM Aura

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Daf, May 30, 2021.

1. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I used Aura and as @Waynetta had trouble with HH, I used Caparol Halftprimer.

It goes off so quick, you can get a few good coats on.

Waynetta likes this.
  2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Don't get too hasty, Si :biggrin:

3 spires likes this.
  3. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How come you don't just go straight on with aura mate? That's the big selling point of it for me , just a one paint system so much quicker to use .

Less risk of failure mixing brands also ...

barry likes this.
  4. Daf

Oh misunderstood, I primed all bare woodwork in Caparol, all the repairs with the resin and any bare wood I found.

Then straight over with Aura

crj likes this.
  5. Richard Beadle

Richard Beadle PPS Time Served

Must admit I was quite glad when BM ran out of stix because I discovered haftprimer lovely drop of gear but re-coat time is the only disadvantage but pretty sure it can be pushed especially outside

6. Daf

@Richard Beadle Re coat times long? Damn I went round the window, with all the repairs, moved along the sill, then did the window again, I knew it would go off quickly, hence the use of it, and HH may have caused problems.

7. crj

Can bang aura straight on bare wood methinks

Waynetta likes this.
  8. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Definately....see theTDS
    It does list a small number where primer needed....very small

Richard Beadle and crj like this.
  9. crj

Yeah it's always worked fine for me
    Cheers H

10. Daf

I’m old skool, that’s how my dad taught me, and that’s how I do things, I would never trust any paint, regardless of make, that says primes bare wood and top coats in one, no disrespect to any company, but that’s me, and how I work, knowing that, I know, that things are going to work out ok.

11. crj

Fair enough. Didn't work out for poor old Waynetta though did it ?

Paint co's can wash their hands of you if anything goes wrong if you've mixed brands. Jmo of course (not that they'd do anything anyways).

12. Richard Beadle

Think haftprimer is supposed to be 12 hours mate but I know lads on here re-coat same day without problems

13. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I have recoated Haftprimer after a couple of hours and topcoated a couple of hours after that without any issues but wouldn't risk it on a exterior to that extent.

It's all about having confidence in the paint and yourself TBH I can't remember having a paint failure for years and I do tend to have repeat custom from my Jobs!

Richard Beadle likes this.
  14. bitzz

bitzz Born to fish. Forced to work Bar Member

As with Simon @3 spires above haftprimer is easily recoatable after a couple of hours. Many times I’ve undercoated in morning topcoat in afternoon.

Richard Beadle and 3 spires like this.
  15. Richard Beadle

Yeah same mate although haftprimer is new to me so always difficult to gauge how much you can push it, good to hear your findingz

16. Richard Beadle

Quick question regarding caparol pu satin and gloss
    What have you top coated with mate quite keen to give the caparol pu satin and gloss ago outdoors, bit cheaper than aura and a lot of my customer like gloss outside. Also if you have used either what sort of time would you give for 2nd top coat

17. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

TBH I haven't used PU Satin or Gloss outside yet except for a couple of doors, I have 2nd topcoated in the same day without issue

Richard Beadle likes this.
  18. Daf

I just got the Caparol Satin and hardener.

This is going on a holiday let in Cromer next week.
    Full review coming and the masonry in Amphilbolin :thumbup:

Waynetta and 3 spires like this.
  19. Waynetta

Waynetta PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

I would use Aura as a primer if I had to use a gloss top coat that needed primer. It worked brilliant after the blister nightmare with high hide.
    saying that I’ve had good results with Teknos Aqua something :think: primer under BM grand entrance on new door.

crj likes this.
  20. Brett

Brett PPS Apprentice

With Aura do you clean down prior to painting as it says to or just key and paint I’ve got some windows to do and they are in good nick, we did them in oil satin about 10 years ago