1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After kitchen....a bathroom! {mainly Rob's interest}

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Aggie, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Aggie

Aggie PPS Master Craftsman

After the Kitchen re-fit, here is a bathroom. bit more challenging this, in terms of design & making the layout work.
    the conventional hot water system & expansion-tank plumbing for heating, were replaced with a combination boiler, thus giving a mains pressure shower, no stored cold or hot water & a compact boiler located in this bathroom, where the hot water cylinder was. Anyway, pictures speak fro themselves.

The bath panel, is MDF, which I routed groves in to mimic the tiles, then coated it with cover stain & several coats of crown water based gloss. The joints were lined with grey matt emulsion to match the real grout.

[attachment=781]
    [attachment=782]
    [attachment=783]
    [attachment=784]

Attached Files:

2. Aggie

some more......
    [attachment=785]
    [attachment=786]
    [attachment=787]
    [attachment=788]

Attached Files:

3. Aggie

last couple.
    [attachment=789]

This one vvvv I should have popped up the top to help with the pictorial story, - sorry
    [attachment=790]

[attachment=791]

Attached Files:

4. MrHarriDec

MrHarriDec PPS Master Craftsman

Impressive stuff :thumbsup:

5. TradeDecoratingSupplies

TradeDecoratingSupplies PPS Master Craftsman

Toilets a bit too close to bath for my liking but an ok job all round

6. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Look good Ag's:thumbsup: A fair amount of work has gone into that. Was it a repo or auction property?

I'll critique if I may (although should NOT read criticism!)

Layout
    I like the layout; it's a good choice and makes the bathroom appear much bigger. Maximum use of the space has been achieved. In normal circumstances I would place the taps at the other end under the shower but I realise you placed them at the other in order to fit the bath as close as possible to the skilling without having to make space for plumbing underneath. I imaging the underside of the bath is touching the rafters so maximum space is given for the WC. There was the option of placing wall mounted centre taps but understand this would have added cost to the overall project.

The vent pipe was changed to 50mm so the bath could sit against the outside wall without studwork encroaching into the space. Again I imagine the underside of the bath is touching the soil pipe giving maximum width top the bathroom. A very tight squeeze no doubt.

Good choices which are unseen and the work involved often not appreciated but give those all important inches to a smallish bathroom.

Boiler Cupboard

Good choice of boiler in Worcester Bosch:thumbsup: The timber plate cut around the bottom of the pipe work is nice. It would have been so easy to leave the cupboard 'a bit rough' as so many do. I have a feeling that carpet was cut around the shower tails before you left considering the effort you went to elsewhere.

Bath Panel
    I have to say I’m not a fan of MDF in a bathroom, moisture resistant or not. Again a lot of work has gone into that bath panel much like the worktop in the kitchen. I personally would have gone for a tiled bath panel. I realise some people don't like making a bath panel permanent in case access is needed later. But if plumbed correctly I think people should have the confidence to say no access will be needed. But as a backup you can either leave a magnetic tile in place (siliconed around the edges rather than grouted) or as I do in most cases, leave a full box of tiles under the bath so if a repair is needed after access they are there to hand and the same batch number.

I assume the bath panel is removable as one of the bath handles appears to be missing?

But full marks for 'faking' it. From the pictures I would have sworn it was tiled!

Tiling

The tiling looks good but again I personally would have set them out slightly different. It seems as if you have used the shower corner as your datum. I might have jacked the shower wall tiles over by 1/4 of a tile so the bath wall tiles instead of 'small meets small', 'large meets large' in the corner, I would have alternated it, so the brick bond carries around the corner and you could have lost the small cuts over the toilet. I understand that would have thrown the centre line by the shower out but I would have played on that buy repositioning the shower valve and shower rose the other way round and it still would have appeared 'centre' as it does now.

The window wall I think you've got dead right. You centred them around the window. There is a small cut top left but that is the only one (as the mirror on the vanity is set forward. The idea is to never have small cuts but on occasion with brick bond it unavoidable. You would have had many more small cuts down one side of the window had you set them out differently.

As I say, with brick bond it is harder to set out with maybe certain elements not as you would like. In that case it can be down to personal preference.

WC Unit

This is a tossup for me. I think it's custom made in order to leave zero gaps either side but it does mean it's not the same high gloss foil wrap as the vanity unit. Do you have an off the shelf WC unit, with awkward gaps either side but matches the vanity? or custom made, zero gaps but different finish to the vanity? Personal preference again... Unsure myself:scratchhead::scratchhead: In one shot the loo roll holder looks a little too far but in another it looks well placed. A minor point.

All in all I nicely finished bathroom with considerable thought and planning that went in to it. The little touches and planning is what makes it look 'fitted' and professional as opposed to just clean a functional. A special mention has to go to the quality of the plumbing, very tidy indeed.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope you don't mind my comments, they are made in good faith and in no way picking holes in it:no:, just my take instead.:thumbsup:

I'd like to see more you've done:notworthy:

7. Aggie

Thanks for your comments:thumbsup: Not in the least offended:no:

This is one of my properties, which yes, Rob, was a repossession. The place was completely trashed, no ceilings on the first floor, due to the previous owners deciding they would leave the tanks in the roof to overflow & trash the place on leaving. It had been empty for 3 years & was in a state to say the least.
    In short, everything wanted doing, new doors & frames, complete plumbing throughout, part re-wiring & upgrading, new stair rails etc, new ceilings of course - well...everything, which I did on my tod over a period of 6 months during weekends & evenings.

I think this bathroom gave me the biggest headache, as before, it was just wrong, the bath under the window is not a very good place when you are running a shower into same - who wants to have a shower in front of a window?, also, it isn't easy to open the window whilst stretching over a bath, & I like to encourage my tenants to ventilate the place as we all know the problems that can occur with condensation.

I take on board Sarah's comment with the WC, but then you have to remember that you are limited to a certain degree, because of the position of the stack. This was the reason, why the taps were placed at the WC end, so that when you lie in the bath, your head is not near it & you face the window. I wondered about placing the taps at the 'shower end' as this would give me an option to run a shower off them, but I prefer a dedicated shower personally {with a thermostat} & when it comes to cleaning, it is easier to clean without the taps been in the way.

Access, you are absolutely right Rob, if things are done properly, you shouldn't need it. However, I like to think I can get to things reasonably quick should I need to. the WC unit is custom made, & on reflection, with I had faux tiled it like the bath panel. This I do like to leave accessible, because I have had experience {elsewhere & not by me!} where the flush pipes have leaked.

the handle on the bath was omitted, because of the fold out shower screen , it fouled it if you didn't unfold the screen in a certain way, & as the bath I put in had anti slip coating, I decided to leave the handle off, thinking that most people have showers these days & that the screen would be out most of the time, but would fold back nicely if you wanted to have a bath, & not feel hemmed in.

I think the bath side wall was my datum for the setting out of the tiling:scratch head: as you say, it is difficult to set out a brick bond for it to look right. I didn't want to put small cuts near the WC, as this is what you see as soon as you walk into the room. I would say, that these were not the best tiles for this effect either. Ha ha! - the loo roll holder, well. I just sat on the bog & placed it to suit me, but forget we are not all the same size!!!

Projects like this, mess with the mind a bit, because although I am the client, I am also doing it for someone else & contemplating their use of the house without knowing who they are going to be:scratched:, so decisions are made based on cost, practicalities & what is best for the property & not necessarily in that order!

8. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I did wonder about water damage as in the second to last picture you can see the black mould running through the floor in to the bedroom, it was the 'Do Not Use' tape that gave it away as a repo.

I thought the shower screen might have clashed with the bath handle but figured as it's multi hinged screen it would clear it.

I not sure the routed MDF would have looked right on the WC unit. I would still prefer what you've done.

As you say certain choices are made with the end user in mind. I've done it plenty of times where you would like to do one thing but given the home owner you do something else. I try to pitch it in the middle. Like some tall clients ask for kitchen units to be placed higher, I try to go for a happy medium which gives the client what they want but still having one eye on the resale of the proprty so not to put off potential buyers. As a rental you got it right as it looks easy to clean with no little voids to collect dirt.

There are 2 schools of thought when it comes to rentals. The cheap as possible maximum return or make the place nice enough that the tenants are encouraged to look after it.. I'm firmly in the later!.

9. Aggie

I don't mind at all, another pair of eyes is always helpful, when something is in front of you all the time, it can blind you over getting details right. As you are interested, I will see if I can dig out some overview pictures.
    I would like to have done something a bit more trendy, but the trouble with trendy, is it dates, so stuck with mediocre & reliable stuff, mag & white for decor as well :lol:

I too am firmly the later, I am getting a very good return, & as you say, the tenants will look after it & more importantly, they want to stay, are paying a premium to have a nice place & the name of the game is not to have it empty.

10. jimmy_123

jimmy_123 PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Nice Job There aggie big improvement looked like you wern't spoiled for space and looks much nicer to wash your hands there instead of being jammed in between the bog and the bath,Bath panel looks a treat to .

cheers Jimmy

11. mikethebrush

mikethebrush PPS Master Craftsman

thats what i like to see, total ripout to the bare bones and bring forward renewing everything. no hidden nasties or cover ups

Im not surprised you had a few headaches maximising space and making it all work, I like what you have done and bearing in mind its to rent , keeping materials costs down and ease of maintenance is essential, ive seen many landlords getting carried away and forgeting they wont be living there or worse going completly the other way and buying end of range materials cheap and then find themselves having to rip out and start again over a small amount of damage, so I think your approach of using easy to match materials is sensible

the only thing I would have done different is losing the skirting board, as theres no carpet the skirts are not required to protect the bottom of the wall and a silicone fillet would have kept everything water tight for mopping