1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airless spray gun recomendations.

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Tomcio, May 4, 2021.

1. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Evening.
    Novice airless navigator here.
    I'm in to market for the best spray gun that I can use on furniture and woodwork.
    What will be the recomendations please.
    Also what tips will I get?
    Thank you.
    Many blessings.
    Tomcio.

Daf and cpb like this.
  2. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

A very good question my man, Graco have bought out a very nice gun, where it’s a 2/3/4 finger trigger, also, it is the first to have all the “gunbins” in a cartridge, so what I mean is, all moving parts, seals everything, is in this cartridge.

This cartridge is replaceable, making the gun feel brand new again.

I haven’t used it.

There are many guns on the market, I use the ones I get with whatever sprayer I buy, except the aaa gun from Wagner 4600, I sometimes wishes I got the Durr instead.
    Back to airless guns, you need to look if you want and can get a trigger to suit your style, 2/3/4 fingers as spraying can and does ache your forearm, you’re, if possible go to a shop that sells guns and feel the weight, and make sure it’s for you, or call Mike at Sprayman, and ask him, I know he has a large range of guns and is very helpful, if I was in the market for one, I think I’ll go for the Graco contractor where you can change the cartridge and make a new gun again.

Let me know what you’re thinking of and what you’re going to get

As for tips, 208/308/310/312 for furniture, as its all intricate, you can start off with a few and see, you will have a good feel, but, remember, less fluid comes out on a wider fan and small orifice, so a 210 and 310 tip, the 310 will lay less product on the area compared to the 210, this can help new sprayers, and stops those dreaded runs! No ones perfect, we have all done it, but you learn not to.

Good luck fella

ahenrypd and Tomcio like this.
  3. Tomcio

Thank you @Daf. The only spray gun I can try locall (I'm in the sticks... Little city in Éire), is the Tritech T380 and T360.
    I prefer to use the two finger trigger I think after decade with HVLP I think and the T380 seems to click more smoothly.
    We have the Crown paint Centre and there is few Wagner sprayers with the kit guns all 4 finger.
    The Graco contractor pc looks good and the easy gun rebuild is just brilliant.

Daf likes this.
  4. Daf

Well it’s a start, the beauty of the Graco contractor, is that when it wears, just replace the cartridge, what a great idea, then the gun is like brand new again.

Call Mike at Sprayman, just say you want to have a look and feel how it is in the hand, just ask if he can send one, obviously pay him, look and have a feel it, if you like it, keep it, no need to buy a cartridge yet, but after a while, get one.

The T380 is another nice gun, as well as the T360.

I have the Wagner that came with the sf23 and I like it, but, I would certainly get the contractor if this went kaput.

Tomcio likes this.
  5. Daf

I just had a look on Sprayman and I think he sells the Graco pc contractor with a whip hose too!

I might get one now, looks a great gun and the original, was one of the best out there.

Damn you Tomcio, making me want another gun :sarcastic:

Tomcio and jimmyc like this.
  6. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

I’ve only used the Graco contractor pc compact gun myself and it’s definitely nice for woodwork, as it’s very small ( compared to my SG3 ) and also a lot lighter. But they are expensive. I think if you’re spraying woodwork, you need something that’s comfortable. There’s probably other brands out there that I’m not aware of which are pretty much the same as the Graco

RonyT and Tomcio like this.
  7. Daf

The compact is so compact, I really like that too, where did you buy your @jimmyc ?

8. jimmyc

jimmyc PPS Tradesman

I bought both the pc contractor and compact from spraydirect. They were on sale so i saved myself a few quid.

Tomcio likes this.
  9. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Hi @Tomcio are you jumping to airless for speed, are you using it in the workshop or onsite?

Are you not tempted to go Air Assisted for more control?

10. Tomcio

Hello @3 spires.
    I'll use the Tecnover in the workshop and on site (once I get the hang of it)
    Yes speed and hopefully not needing to reduce paints at all (not sure about it) future step will be AAA.

3 spires likes this.
  11. 3 spires

Takes alot of practice to get airless right especially on furniture I find stepping back more than usual helps as you can soon apply too much material, I often still thin and warm trim paints to stop tails etc at low pressure and trying to cut down on overspray, easier than hvlp but still a bit of alchemy involved to get it bang on.

A short hose is handy to cut down on material I did a job a while back and nearly ran out of paint I had to add water to the hopper to use the paint in the hose lucky finished before the water hit the gun!

The low pressure tips are good but I find the fine finish low presure ones can be a bit hit and miss and need a higher pressure to stop fan issues unless the paint is thin.

Tomcio likes this.
  12. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

I use graco pc compact gun and it is an awesome little gun. I gave my wagner gun 1 days work and not used it since the PC compact is that much easier to use.

Small and maneuverable too perfect for fine finishing, and make bashing out ceilings etc that much easier being so light. Small filters is probably the only downside but you should be cleaning them after every use and paint strained etc so shouldn't ever really cause problems.

If you've never been into airless you won't be put off by the small size, as it will be what you learn with and become accustomed to, but I have heard of others don't get on with it for being too small - but typically that's when they've been using larger guns for years.

Definitely steer clear of any 4 finger gun though even if you don't go for the pc compact

Tomcio likes this.
  13. Tomcio

Very informative:doff::notworthy:

14. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

+1 for the Graco Contractor gun PC.

4, 3 or 2 finger operated by the adjustable trigger.
    Proconect re-build if you need to.
    It's a much softer controlled pull versus the Graco gun that comes with a pump (cant remember which one it is but is 4 a finger).

I like the design of the hand guard and where it sits/unclips, also the way screws up when cleaning or changing filter.
    Silly thing but I find I'm not whacking my knuckles on it.

I also get less hand fatigue with it (like *ankers cramp :biggrin:)

Tomcio, 3 spires and Daf like this.
  15. Daf

That must be a nasty cramp, do tell how you rid it? :tongue:

RonyT likes this.
  16. 3 spires

Swap hands and be ankadextrous I guess
    :hysterical:

RonyT likes this.
  17. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Wouldn't that feel like somone else was spraying for you ?
    You're use to using two fingers, so I guess a two finger gun would suit.
    I tried for months trying to find a double handed, eight fingered one, but failed.

I'm going to guess @Daf spent the same amount of time trying to find a six finger single handed
    model.

Daf, ahenrypd, Samdex and 2 others like this.
  18. 3 spires

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

19. Daf

Ha ha ha, I’ll start wagging that 6th finger at you sonny Jim, I was born in the east end of London, the only thing I got, that’s a 6, is when I fold my pecker in half :winky:

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    RonyT likes this.
  20. Tomcio

Anyone has the Wagner Vector grip gun?
    The Graco compact gun is extraordinary so little.