1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And the winner is.....

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions/Questions' started by MrHarriDec, Jun 14, 2013.

1. MrHarriDec

MrHarriDec PPS Master Craftsman

How about this?

I saw on a tiling forum a while back they have a 'Job of the Year' thingamajig. Why don't we get a competition like that going over here?

Say members can enter a few jobs through the course of the year and then the winner gets a 2 week Caribbean holiday courtesy of the forum sponsors, or a paint brush or whatever. :lol:

Entries can be scored in categories such as finish achieved, specification, range of techniques, the list goes on!

The idea needs a bit of a tweak I'm sure but definitely think there's something there. What do you think???

2. yiannistr007

yiannistr007 PPS Craftsman

nice idea:smile:

3. handypainter

handypainter PPS Master Craftsman

Thats an excellent idea :thumbsup: We have a few ideas for competitions but we hadn't thought of that one :thumbsup:

We would need to maybe stockpile a few items from different suppliers/manufacturers throughout the year to give out as one big annual prize, unless one of our sponsors is feeling generous enough to front a prize(s) big enough to reflect the stature of the competition.............hint hint :lol:

Unfortunately Mr Harrington whoever comes up with the competition idea will not be able to enter....................................:jester: only joking :lol:

I think we could do this if all members know how to post a poll, and then when posting a thread in the.............oh hang on i'm waffling :lol: I'll go and annoy the other chaps with my ideas in the Mod Lounge :rolleyes:

4. MrHarriDec

:bowing: :bowing: :bowing:

I'll leave it to you chaps to figure out the ins and outs :winky:

5. handypainter

Sent you a pm sir :thumbsup:

6. MrHarriDec

Sent you one back my man :thumbsup:

7. MrHarriDec

Any more thoughts on this chaps?

8. handypainter

Still in discussion mate :thumbsup:

9. Colour Republic

Colour Republic PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Sorry my fault as they were waiting on me as I know that forum and comp very well. It has been fairly successful but does have it's pitfalls... give me an hour or so...

10. Colour Republic

OK as said I know that forum and comp well as i’ve been a member of that forum for about 5 years I think, I was a regular poster and one of only 20 odd ‘Trusted Advisors’ on there:blum1:. It’s a well run forum and certainly the biggest for tilers, around 15,000 members last time I looked. although many of those are home owners looking for advice.

The ‘Job Of The Year’ (JOTY) comp is in fact made up of predictably 12 ‘Job of The Month’ ( JOTM)comps, whereby the winner of each ‘JOTM’ is entered in to the Grande finale ‘JOTY’ at the end of the year and an overall winner is voted for by the members by way of a poll.

The JOTM competition has been going for a number of years and has been reality successful (so much so that it has been copied on other forums already, by at least 3 other tiling forums that I know of).

The basic premise is that members can enter 1 job each month in to the competition, that job had to have been completed in the month of entry and photographic evidence is requested by way of a current newspaper or some other dating method in at least one picture, this is to stop members from raiding their archives and posting jobs completed years back.

At the end of each month a poll is created and the members are asked to vote for their favourite job (no voting for you own!), voting is normally left open for a week and then a winner is determined.

The winner normally wins a prize, this has ranged from a week in Egypt (if I recall correctly) which was donated by a fellow member who had a holiday home out there, right down to no prize but kudos from fellow members and a tag under your profile to say you won it. But 95% of the time the prize was donated by a forum sponsor (Mapei Adhesives) which is a goody bag of cups, t-shirt, pens etc etc and sometimes free adhesive.

However the competition has had its pitfalls where entries have dwindle so much that the comp nearly got cancelled. The main problem is that 9 times out of 10 the ‘pretty’ jobs won, so of course it was the tilers that worked with high end products all the time that got the accolade and the other 90% of members who entered everyday jobs got no recognition so just stopped entering at all. Of course sometimes the high end guys deserve it as the job may have been technically challenging but equally you’d see well executed ‘standard’ job that got no votes.

It’s a great comp if for no other reason than to see some great work taking place but the success of it really relies on the mindset of the voters. If members only vote on the visually stunning jobs then it will fail, votes also need to be cast objectively so even if a job isn’t visually stunning it might be technically challenging, so might deserve the vote over the pretty boys.

I can think of a few areas where it might be better suited to a decorating format as we are often asked to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

I think we would need to stipulate jobs need a before and after shot so voters can see the progress, hopefully that would encourage votes across the board. Not trying to take anything away from the guys who are lucky enough to work in nice properties and are afforded the time to turn out A1 work as i’m sure it was a hard slog to get to that stage but the balance needs to be right from the start.

I suppose we could give it a shot and see how it goes:dunno:

11. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Personally don't think there's enough people who would post pics , could be wrong. I work in nice houses but its rare that I do sumet that's worth a real brag. I prefer looking at a percific thing ie a door start from finish or a fekd window or what ever. When people post pics of a room im not being funny it could be rough as toast and can't see detail or close up. I'm all about perfection so close ups of percific jobs I can really have a good nosey:smile:

12. Colour Republic

But that's just it Sam, I think jobs like that should be entered if something like this went ahead. entering a front door with mirror like finish or some rotten old windows that were ready for ripping out but saved because the deccy had the skill to breath life back in them. It shouldn't all be about big room sets, although they would be welcome too.

13. CheshireDecorator

CheshireDecorator PPS Master Craftsman PPS Painter Bar Member

Well thets get it on , may have a door to post up :winky:

14. MrHarriDec

Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

15. DecoratorDan

DecoratorDan PPS Tradesman

Is this still being talked about seems like it would be good fun.