1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aqua Guard from Johnstone's

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Jason Gunter, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

I doubt it, the most likely cause would be rags contaminated with motor oil, I can find no precedent with water based paint contaminated rags :no:

Jason Gunter likes this.
  2. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Surprised it wasn’t picked up on sooner :shocked:

3. Tomdec

Tomdec Veni, Vidi, Vici. Bar Member

Be giving this a go. Couple of stair, hall and landings coming up. One of them a repeat, ( very good ) customer I've had to go back to and repaint bannister rails and newel caps after failure with Caparol Pu. Embarrassing and makes me look unprofessional.

4. Jason Gunter

Had the same issue with Isomat gloss a few years back.Cant say i have any callbacks with the Caparol pu yet.
    Will be revisiting a h\s\l i done last November this October to dec their living room but that was done in scuff x eggshell looking back at my notes.

Tomdec likes this.
  5. Tomdec

There's a thread on it somewhere. Something to do with oil and acids from people's hands making it go soft and claggy. Not just Caparol by the way. If the Aqua Guard doesn't work it'll have to be the Caparol 2 Pak. Don't really want to have to arse about with activators tbh but need to find a solution.

6. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

May handrail at home has gone soft on surface. It's very odd...my fingers nail can easily scratch the paint on the post balls top and bottom and parts of the rail that gets touched with hands. Taken a few years to get like it though..

7. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

Is it not oils from our hands that soffen it up over time

8. Jason Gunter

My understanding is that is what it is but I stand to be corrected.Has anyone tried a varnish/lacquer over the top to combat this?

9. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I used jonnos wb floor varnish over some acrylic egghsell handrails and other high traffic areas a few years ago. Returned to the job just before lockdown and apart from a few chips it had worn well. Defo worth doing.

Jason Gunter, Puma and Gary scott like this.
  10. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Or use grease resistant Betolux Akva.

Tomdec and crj like this.
  11. crj

Allahu Akva !

Sorry, always pops into my head whenever you (often) mention that paint ,not really sure why . Prob best staying in my head in future .

RonyT, Gary scott, Wayners and 5 others like this.
  12. Tomdec

Tomsio, I used the Akva on the job I mentioned in previous post. It does seem more resistant, but it dries to a semi-gloss finish. Not ideal when the rest of the wood work is Satin.

Tomcio likes this.
  13. Jason Gunter

That’s good to know for handrails and tips of newel posts at the least.I have considered using kiva as it’s supposed to be hard wearing and comes in different sheens.

crj likes this.
  14. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

That made me chuckle quite loudly :biggrin:

Gary scott and crj like this.
  15. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I have use Polyvine Ultra hard clear varnish a few times and seems to be as good as the day I did it.

Perhaps a quick coat with a wax finish could be the way forwards to seal the paint?

Yes Wax! used alot on furniture to seal the paint especially dressing tables to stop nasty hair spray and make-it-up bugg#ring up the paint!

Jason Gunter and crj like this.
  16. crj

Bit of a bugger getting it off tho if they ever get you back to touch up or redo?

17. Jason Gunter

I can see your logic behind it Simon,but pain in the arias if you had to redec in the future or some poor soul who hasn’t realised it’s topped with wax.

3 spires, Peter Humphreys and crj like this.
  18. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

@Tomcio you do mention that paint a lot mate . Would you say it’s your fav paint . And if it’s not what is . ?

crj likes this.
  19. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Not my fav mate but very durable and stain resistant.
    I don't have favourite paint.. honestly the one that I know all not up to my game... Scuffx is very close.. But I'm waiting..

20. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Yep I do agree but it is a solution to paint failure hence the Yes Wax! quote.

I have been doing alot of furniture refinishing and have been researching various finishes, wax over paint is quite popular over the pond but with my 30 plus years in the trade it is a PITA! recently spending hours perfecting methods of stripping the stuff but I can see some benefits aswell especially with furniture painting effects.

Jason Gunter and crj like this.