1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we really going green?

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by 3 spires, Jun 30, 2019.

1. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I do like the thought of going more eco friendly but I do wonder if the powers that be really have any intention, for example if the government get the electric cars on the roads they propose in the uk they will have to have at least 2 new nuclear power plants and huge infrastructure to power said vehicles in the next couple of years, I was told this from someone who works for JLR they know its not going to happen not a chance hence they are still producing diesel engines!

China will not acknowledge the problem and the US really is not taking any steps, they do a bit of recycling but that seem more about revenue, they still have plastic straws, free carrier bags, huge gas guzzling pickups, cheap gas and a president who thinks Global warming is fake new!

Its appalling to think that all these huge countries don't take this seriously but us in the uk are heavily penalized in the name of being green, in the scheme of things how can a few small countries make a difference and why should we be financially screwed over when others will not bother it really doesn't seem fair.

So how can we be green without costing the earth?

2. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

We produce 1.8% co2

3. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

I am in no way religious. Let's get that straight out off the bat.
    There was something on the BBC Click program today about global warming and how it is believed we have to go so, so much further, than stopping the single use plastic and other such stuff, (even down to stopping the CO2 gas going up into the atmosphere) to even scratch the scratch on saving our planet due to heat and how the planet is getting hotter due to our stupid creations.

Back to religion, more so the Bible.
    Cannot remember verbatim, but isn't there an Old Testament prophesy saying, "Man will destroy himself by fire?"

It'll happen if these corporations and Government don't stop their greed.

Take me back to living in cabins without electricity or gas any day of the week, over this lifestyle we have burdened ourselves and children with now!

Jason Gunter, Bobbones and 3 spires like this.
  4. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

If you're small country what poor Irish can say...no I don't believe in that CO2 scam...tax is what they only want.

5. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

Climate change is the biggest threat to our way of life since the Cuban missile crisis, the American Republican party are a bigger threat to mankind's continued existence than the Nazi's ever were. On the hottest day ever recorded in Paris, the police used Pepper spray against Extinction Rebellion protesters in order to get the traffic moving again , you couldn't make this schitt up :no:
    Capitalism with it's continual need for economic growth ( more of everything, more production, more profit) is to blame, along with it's bastid offspring Consumerism.
    For humanity to survive we are going to have to restructure our societies and how they function from the ground up, this will be unpalatable to some, unthinkable to others, but the weight of scientific opinion is overwhelming, and even if there was a chance they might be wrong, can we afford to gamble everything on a long shot :no:

White Pele, 3 spires, crj and 7 others like this.
  6. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

As long as nations focus on a growing economy the problems wont go away. What's important is that those of us that care can make a difference even if it's tiny and seemingly insignificant. Pointing out how bad others are at it and using that as a reason to give up - not logical. If it all fails and extinction looms at least some of us can say we tried. Extinction is inevitable anyway but I'd rather it was a way off.

Bobbones, crj and Tomcio like this.
  7. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I like the idea of screwfix having “sausages” of sealants etc which you load into a gun rather than having to bin a shed load of plastic carriages. We must go through a ton of caulking tubes

mistcoat, 3 spires, ahenrypd and 3 others like this.
  8. Tomcio

after demasking on recent spraying job I was standing in the hall and looking at the mass off used plastic, thinking if it would be possible to use paper only...i have to do something about it.

9. 3 spires

Thats a really good point @RonyT no doubt if they do this the price will not reduce or they limit the amount of product!

Wayners likes this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Nuclear is the way to go but the cost of building them and the "not in my back yard" is the problem.

11. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Totally agree with going nuclear but after what happened recently in Japan & Chernobyl people are scared of it. We also should be making much more care with a hydrogen fuel cells instead of battery power.

12. 3 spires

I myself am not sold on Nuclear with Chernobyl, Japan and all the ones who have had issues and not reported!

It makes more sense to use the planets resources like sea power that will always be available with wind and solar surely thats the way to go instead of using something that is dangerous to us and the planet?

13. Lee Anthony

We've got a new off shore wind farm opposite my town in Worthing it produce enough electricity to power 360,000 homes. It cost supposedly £1.3 billion to build but will save 600,000 tonnes CO2 emissions per year.

Redhousepainter and 3 spires like this.
  14. Lee Anthony

This is a very interesting podcast that disputes the CO2 warming affect.

15. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

The warming is only part of it though - even if that wasn't a fact we are still polluting and damaging the environment which will result in the loss of species over time and make us all generally unhealthier. When you meet a climate change denier just remind them of that.

White Pele, Tomcio, crj and 1 other person like this.
  16. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Exactly. Even if we did miraculously hit all our 'green targets' and the whole global warming thing turned out to be a load of bollocks (highly unlikely) at least we'd have a far more pleasant world to live in with less emissions etc

As @Tomcio alluded to above , one of my bugbears when it comes to spraying stuff in our trade is the colossal amount of waste some sprayers seem to create. I've not really seen it on this forum, but on another spraying forum I've seen so much plastic used it beggars belief.

It pains me to think , after it looks like all they've sprayed is one unit and used metres of the stuff , that they throw it all away and don't use it again. And there's me washing my sodding bake beans tins out before recycling them and reusing the lining paper I use on floors and for spraying .

Hope I'm wrong and people do reuse it but I'd bet most don't. It's too cheap and easy not too bother.

greenpainting, 3 spires and Tomcio like this.
  17. Tomcio

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  18. 3 spires

I am not to sure how recyclable a lot of masking materials are, the paper is and I know Packexe is, whether it's the same for other makes and if it actually does get recycled I can not say, would plastic film be recycled like Packexe?

Makes you think but I still get massive boxes from Amazon with small stuff in so if the biggest company in the world cant get it right,? Ideally we need to impose worldwide standards but in reality that will only happen when it's too late!

crj likes this.
  19. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I try and use as much masking paper as I can when spraying now, instead of like you said using schitt loads of plastic. It’s pretty easy to only use paper on exteriors tbh and find it easier to work with

crj and Tomcio like this.
  20. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Tbh I'm not even convinced some papers are. Once some paper has got a layer of paint on it that's almost as thick as the paper itself it's probably not recyclable anyway , much like wrapping paper etc. I tend to just reuse the paper as much as possible, same with plastic. As @ajmdecorators says, paper works better outside anyway.

I use plastic a bit inside as I like to cover soft furnishings with it in case my dust sheets have any residual paint on them from the previous job. Can then use the same plastic for kitchens etc then eventually I use it to wrap up trays and brushes etc. It's still a bit wasteful tho.

I wouldn't be surprised that in the not too distant future all plastics will start to get v heavily taxed. It's a great material, used correctly, but it's not necessary half the time . It's time some of the manufacturers took a bit more responsibility when they package stuff rather than leaving it up to us to sort / recycle all their unecessary packaging imo.