1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Process for loft conversion

Discussion in 'Spray Painting' started by Stuart88, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Stuart88

Stuart88 PPS Tradesman

Have a loft conversion /extension coming up . Plan on spraying majority of the work other than top coat on walls . What’s the best process ?

woodwork is not pre primed , will need knotting .

I was thinking

knotting x 1
    Masking what needs it
    Knotting x2
    Isolac primer sprayed
    Mistcoat sprayed on new plaster
    Caulking and filling woodwork/ walls
    Sand down
    Woodwork sprayed in isomat satin x2
    Woodwork taped off
    Ceilings sprayed to finish
    Walls by hand

2. Peter Humphreys

Peter Humphreys "it's a paintbrush, not a wand"! Bar Member

Sounds good to me.

3. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Echo above post.
    I mask off woodwork before mistcoat.
    I try and finish the ceilings with the woodwork, unless it makes contact with the ceiling. Though you would need a couple of sprayers.

4. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You could add in this option.

Before spraying your finish coat on the woodwork and ceiling, spray your first colour coat on the walls, and nip around the top twice so the top is finished.

Mask the top of the walls with 300mm paper then you spray your ceilings to a finish.
    This eliminates the need to cut in the wall tops.
    Once you've finished the woodwork, tape it and brush round the bottoms and roll the final wall coat.

Sprayandrun, PaintHQ, Tomcio and 3 others like this.
  5. Hary

Hary PPS Apprentice

What are you using for wood filling?

6. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

just a couple of things I do differently.
    I generally start by filling trim, including screw hols, pin holes, knots and obvious gaps/wood splits.
    Then mistcoat the lid and walls.
    Finish coat lids
    Sand your trim (gets rid of any over spray from the misting and fallout from lids) and sand your 1st fills.
    Prime your knots and fill defects on walls.
    Prime trim
    2nd fill trim and sand those spots
    Caulk
    Apply 1st trim topcoat and once dry, snag fill, denib
    Apply 2nd trim topcoat
    Tape up and cuts and roll the walls.

I try to avoid sanding after knotting as it can take it back too far and you end up sanding off the stuff that you need on there. I also nowadays only sand/denib after the 1st top coat (use to do it at primer level)

Tomcio, 3 spires and crj like this.
  7. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

Use an acrylic based wall primer product for your mistcoats and hit your bare woodwork with it will save you masking 2 birds one stone.

If you then want to follow on with the full isomat system you can. Depending on the room and wall colour (deep colours i prefer to spray) I would either do it your way spray wood to finish, spray ceiling, cut and roll walls (spray primer wood, spray ceilings finish as primer drying, spray tops wood if you want to get both done in one day) - or go full spray everything wood, wall, ceiling. Although I imagine being a loft conversion cut and roll would be best.

If your just interested in producing the best quality work regardless of time and material cost always spray everything as you can't beat a taped ceiling line imo

Sprayandrun, Puma, Gary scott and 2 others like this.
  8. PaintHQ

PaintHQ PPS Time Served

I have to agree, you can’t beat everything sprayed..

Apologies for late contribution to this thread, I’ve only just joined the fun on PPS :smile: ..How did the loft conversion work out Stuart ?

Hary, Tomcio, Sprayandrun and 2 others like this.
  9. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I'd hardly apologise @PaintHQ when the original poster hasn't even thanked or responded to any of the lengthy and helpful replies.

Tomcio, 3 spires, bitzz and 4 others like this.
  10. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Very well said @crj . It says he was last seen on here 24 June , 13 days after the last post helping him .:headwall:

Tomcio, 3 spires, bitzz and 1 other person like this.
  11. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

What a (removed)!
    :archieslap:
    But many great contributions from you guys everyday is still a school day
    :doff:

barry and crj like this.
  12. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Nice job very well done, must of taken alot of doing to setup to record that.

It's not a criticism and out of interest but why use the Graco handheld as they only have a limited life and quite an expensive way when you had the gX with paint in, could you of not left it overnight and sprayed the next day?

PaintHQ likes this.
  13. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

How do you find this method time wise? A lot of mucking about seems to me - you end up taping everything up as if you were to just spray everything to finish individually in the 'traditional order' - wood walls lids. Also your drying times are the same so not saving anything there as need 1st coat to dry before you can tape up for ceiling and you end up having to get brush and roller on the walls when you've masked everything up to spray it?

Only benefit to this method I can see is not having run plastic 1.8m plastic round the room and getting away with just the 300mm paper as any overspray would be covered by final roll - I would be worried about spray dust contamination on the walls from doing the lids though that would need to be wiped off before final coat - again adding to the time that makes this method seem a bit awkward to me?

Im open to be enlightened of course but I don't see any real advantage to this method? Just either spray and backroll or cut and roll seems a bit counter intuative to do both imo :dunno:

Tomcio likes this.
  14. PaintHQ

PaintHQ PPS Time Served

Thank you my friend.. it’s a passion in itself ‘video editing’, certainly time consuming, going through all the recordings..

That’s a very good point, and I always welcome any feedback : -) A couple of reasons.. My main sprayer is a 395, it’s my day in day out workhorse, and on this project it had mist coated and sprayed 2 colours.. strong feature wall (Little Greene) and Steyning White (Albany Durable) on the main walls and en-suite (not shown).. The 395 was cleaned out and moved onto the next job.. In the loft conversion, the ceiling area is relatively small.. Plus :smile: I had a small touch up on a ceiling in one of the bedrooms.. Apologies for lengthy explanation :smile: I know the Handheld gets a bad rap, unjustified in my opinion.. yes the pump has a shelf life, but cleaned thoroughly and used at low speeds they do last and are real timesavers :smile: ...I wouldn’t mind starting a new post on “Everyone’s experiences of the Graco Handheld”.. Unless you thought it’ll go down like a lead balloon

ahenrypd and 3 spires like this.
  15. Buckers

Im not sure where the extra mucking about is, @Samdex, the only extra taping this way is the ceiling line & that off sets having to cut in twice by hand, got to be a time saver especially if it's a loft conversion with loads of angles?

Taping the ceiling lines in a loft conversion with angles may be a good thing or not depending on the job.

The woodwork only needs a tape line putting round mate as the final wall coat is rolled, not a full mask off as if you were spraying. So that's really quick compared to completely masking all finished woodwork.

Regarding the overspray dust on the walls I spray AA so thats not a issue and I always finish walls with roller.

Not all jobs are the same process and it was just another option for the OP to think about on this particular job as he stated the walls were finished by hand.

Tomcio likes this.
  16. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

Yeah but you have to have masked up everything else as your spraying walls for a first coat (rads sockets windows etc) that you wouldn't need to if you were just cut and rolling - it's at that stage I'm saying you may aswell just fully spray and backroll the walls and forget any plans to cut and roll as you can't get onto the ceilings anyway till the walls have cured either way. You will be able to get the second on the walls sprayed after 2 hours of drying or so maybe sooner rather than going back to them with a brush and roller after spraying the ceilings? You would literally be already set up to get it on would take no time at all. Spray a nice thin coat first so it dries quick, then bit heavier second and backroll job done on the walls then. Masking with drop down plastic vs paper would only take marginally longer anyway

So after doing all that with your method you then have to cut and roll aswell (even if just bottom half) just doesn't sound like the best use of time other than saving the plastic needed. You already have the sprayer in the wall colour you'll need to wash out before ceiling aswell so factor that in aswell - there is literally no setup time for a second coat. Take you nearly as long to setup your kettles scuttles etc than it would to put a second on walls.

Time saved with not papering skirtings would be like 5mins tops as everyone has a handmasker right? And your having to go round and tape anyway your way

I know different rooms have different methods and your way may be practical in some scenarios, but can't see many times it would be personally.
    Not having a go just struggling to see the advantages of that method but each to there own :thumbsup:

Tomcio likes this.
  17. Buckers

No problem mate.

I was just offering another option to the OP's initial order of work.

I wouldnt be doing the ceilings until the next day when I'd also finish the woodwork.

I'm always happy to learn how others work as I'm self taught with little input from any other sprayers.

Personally I dont find spraying on domestic work is a particularly efficient way to work 90% of the time anyway as you still have to wait for filler/caulks/paint etc to dry just the same as if brushing/rolling and without the volume of area to keep working on like there would be on new builds. (Which I dont do)

I spray for quality over speed and there is always a trade off somewhere imo.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Tomcio and Sprayandrun like this.
  18. Samdex

Samdex PPS Craftsman

I hear you, to fully spray a room is definitely slower if just doing the one unless its fresh plaster but of course the quality of work is much higher not to mention easier and more fun! 3days minimum to spray finish everything as drying times limit your ability to mask things up, whereas can do it 2 easy conventionally as you don't need to worry about that. 95% of jobs get spray ceilings and woodwork minimum though as can do both of them in a day no problem.

Tomcio, Sprayandrun and Buckers like this.
  19. barry

barry PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

What do you use for wood filling?

Tomcio likes this.
  20. Stuart88

Stuart88 PPS Tradesman

wind your neck in ….. u have no idea what’s going on in people’s personal life’s !