1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BM Tynex - Nylon Brush (used with Stix and Scuff-X)

Discussion in 'The Review Centre - reviews of tools & products.' started by RonyT, Dec 6, 2020.

1. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Thought I'd share my views on this brush here.

The BM stockist, that's 10 mins drive away if you didn't know, has a full stock of BM brushes and I picked up a 2" Tynex to give it a whirl.
    I had a kitchen to do (Stix under, Scuff-X over) so thought I'd try it out to see if it was any good.

First impression was that it is SUPER soft/floppy and as soon as I got paint in it, I almost immediately thought, well that's another fist full of hard earned down the pan as I just couldn't get on with how soft it was.

Fast forward 30 mins later and I warmed to it. 1hr in and it grew to like it very much.

It's a THIN angled sash ( I prefer angled brushes) so it doesn't hold a massive amount of paint and when fully loaded it does look like it can't cope being so soft, but wow, the finish in Scuff-X was just lovely.
    I ended up rolling on Scuff-X and tipping it off with it and I was really impressed. I was spraying the doors etc so It had to leave the rest that wasn't sprayed really flat. It did not disappoint.

Here's a pic of a side panel (with foot shot but ignore the screw holes as these held something inside the cupboard).
    It's in a wet state so still hadn't levelled out completely. When it was dry it was super smooth with no brush marks at all ! It worked perfectly in Stix and Scuff-X and I can only imagine how good it would leave a finish in Advance :drool_pps:

4D0B54C4-85D4-4671-88DB-438C6999FFB4.jpeg

D2FE52BC-8B5A-4A9F-8EE8-D46E4C587468.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  2. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I know what's on my next BM order!

Thanks @RonyT
    :doff:

3. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Give the new bm chinex brushes a whirl @RonyT :notworthy: honestly it’s my favourite brush I have ever used! That’s all I will use on kitchens now, finish is the best I have ever got and it gets so more paint on than the monarchs I used to use

mistcoat, Sprayandrun, Iain79 and 8 others like this.
  4. Jason Gunter

Jason Gunter Sea Fish magnet Bar Member

Thats another brush going in the basket when i order from BM next.

Sorry to derail this post slightly but im after a BM fan deck do they have a description of each colour like F&B and if so which deck if not all has the description on please and thanks yous :rolleyes:

5. ajmdecorators

@RonyT i took a shot with one of these last week. Used it finishing off a kitchen and again on another this week. Wow what a brush! Took a while to get my head round how soft it is but once I’d got used to it I found it amazing. 100% my go to brush now for hand painted kitchens. Fingers crossed @BenjaminMooreUK will do some straight cut ones as not a huge fan of angled

6. RonyT

Glad you like it too @ajmdecorators

100% agree, the softness really wobbled me at first but as you say, Wow what a brush once you've got your head around it and got use to it.
    For a soft brush, it is very very accurate if you have to cut in, but it's best attribute I found was it's laying off ability.
    Best I've tried.

I've only used it in Stix and Scuff-X thus far and found it to be the perfect partner for Scuff-X. Literally almost spray finish.

What product did you use it in ?

7. ajmdecorators

@RonyT scuff x......and helmi 10 :blush: still hate tikkurila as a company but the client wanted a perfect match on his units to a f&b colour and was a no go with bm!

RonyT likes this.
  8. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

What colour was it mate that you couldn't find a bm equivalent in ?

9. LMDec

LMDec PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

How much are these brushes?

10. ajmdecorators

down pipe, wasn’t so much that I couldn’t find an equivalent, more that client wanted an exact match and I know that there are slight differences when using Bm’s closest. 95% of the time my clients aren’t bothered
    ---
    £18 before any discount

crj likes this.
  11. 3 spires

How are you guys getting on with the new BM brushes?

I have a few kitchens to handpaint so interested in your thoughs.

12. RonyT

Still loving the Tynex one mate. :thumbsup:
    I did have a bit of splaying after the first 5 uses, which worried me, but when re-loaded up it sorts itself out and works beautifully.

It will take a bit of getting use to, but we are talking an hour max.

Daf and 3 spires like this.
  13. ajmdecorators

still using them on all my kitchens mate, it is a great brush and can’t see myself using anything else tbh, until it’s sold as a straight cut! Only slight downside is they aren’t the most durable brush out there and aren’t particularly cheap! Can’t go wrong with the finish they produce tho

3 spires likes this.
  14. Daf

Daf PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@RonyT i prefer a floppy brush, do they do straight ones too?

15. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

How does the BM Nylon compare to Staalmeester One series?

16. YTS 83'

YTS 83' PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Totally different brush mate, the bristles are twice as long. More of a conventional brush but really soft. Takes some getting used to, but worth
    It as the finish with it is great!

3 spires likes this.
  17. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Tha
    Thank you. So that's another brush to try out... :doff:

YTS 83' likes this.
  18. Yorkshire Dec

Yorkshire Dec PPS Tradesman

I've tried the Tynex brush based on this thread that was linked to from another thread!
    I don't get on with it at all. Maybe I need to persevere with it more or my technique could be rubbish. Fine for laying off but I still need to have my fossa viper on the go at the same time for cutting in. Two brushes on the go is too much hassle for me:thumbsdown:

I'm sure a gentleman like RonyT will be only too happy to have Jeeves post a cheque out asap to reimburse my £18 :rolleyes:

Buckers likes this.
  19. 3 spires

More likely he will get @barry around with a box of matches.
    :yes:

It is odd with brushes I have that many of the things but I do find it depends on the paint to my weapon of choice, laying off is important but so is working the paint and cutting in and to be honest I haven't found a perfect brush yet I mostly end up juggling a small brush with a larger 2 inch and a roller in a pelican kettle.