1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheeky little spray job

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by crj, Jan 24, 2019.

1. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Just thought I'd post small spray job I just did last week. Xvlp with farrow and ball warm tones undercoat and 2 X topcoat of radichio estate eggshell.

Don't mind spraying f and b but the drying times do my head in. I don't know how you kitchen painters cope with it?

I sprayed the customer's daughters units last year and she said after leaving them for a few weeks they still marked when they put something on them. I told customer to leave shelves on this for as long as poss due to drying times, hence the small size final pictures (I dont know how to resize them) as she kindly emailed them to me as I wasn't there when it was put back together.

I did walls in radichio also and was a four coat affair :thumbsdown:

Attached Files:

2. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Nice job, @crj :thumbup:
    What XVLP have you got again?
    I actually like that colour, it looks good on that unit.

3. stevy

stevy PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice bit of spraying there mate,looks sharp.:thumbsup:

crj likes this.
  4. Painter16

Painter16 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice

crj likes this.
  5. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks good mate, you getting the bug!?

crj likes this.
  6. Bobbones

Bobbones PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Like that.:thumbup:

crj likes this.
  7. crj

Cheers fellas. Just realised that the images have been double cropped so these are better.

Wagner 3500 @mistcoat . I like the colour too . The customer says she changes her mind a lot so doubtless I'll be back to do it again in a different colour. Good customer to have, nice couple too.

I also really like the colour on walls in kitchen as per photo which is f and b stone blue. The f and b primer undercoat is pretty useless opacity wise. Was gonna brush the unit at one point but could see it turning into a four coat nightmare as the walls did so spray all the way.

Yeah @ajmdecorators I do enjoy spraying. Would like to upgrade and do it more often. I don't understand half the stuff you sprayers go on about here though so feel well out of my depth :lol:

Attached Files:

3 spires, ahenrypd, stevy and 2 others like this.
  8. Gary scott

Gary scott Tradesman Bar Member

Looks good mate really good . Kitchen colour is smart . Never ever sprayed but defo wanna give it a go . That a good machine to start out with ??

crj likes this.
  9. crj

Cheers pal. I'd say so mate. Takes a wee while to find your feet with it but not too long in the grand scheme of things. Loads of info on here that the kind folks of PPS have written which really helps. Always happy to help out if I can. Also, being a beginner myself, knowing how not to do it is still fresh in my mind. :biggrin:

Gary scott likes this.
  10. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks great @crj
    Nice even sheen on it :thumbsup:

crj likes this.
  11. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice work @crj :thumbsup:
    Best way I've found is to put some energy into persuading client to use BM. It's worked nearly every time so far for me. Not just drying times but coverage, curing and durability have all been problematic with FnB over the years.
    If I absolutely have to use it, I dilute a little and allow for extra coats. And use someone else's acrylic primer.

crj likes this.
  12. crj

Yes mate I know. I tried the BM route when I did their daughter's cabinet and they stuck (literally :sarcastic:) to f and b. It still marked weeks later so I was hoping this time round I could use BM but I was still handed f and b.

I think the finish is nice with it but as you say it's the curing times. It's impossible to sand it properly in-between coats even a couple of days later imo . I don't really ever get asked to do kitchens bit would swerve it if customer insisted on using f and b I think.

The last two times I've used it have been in quite and very dark colours, I'm guessing that prob makes it even worse curing/drying time?

13. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

maybe knock up a couple of small sample panels in BM that you can show the customer in popular FB matches perhaps?

Peter Humphreys and crj like this.
  14. White Spirit

White Spirit PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Same here. Got a Wagner 3500 myself and only used it twice. Got a load of spindles to do at sister in laws so might give it another go on them. It's confidence thing with me.

Nice work BTW:thumbsup:

mistcoat, bruntonpasty and crj like this.
  15. crj

Cheers mate. Just go for it . Spindles a good thing to start on I reckon, flat surfaces the hardest. With it being family if you balls it up it doesn't matter :blush: or maybe it matters more?! Either way worse case scenario is at least there's a coat of primer or undercoat on it , bit of a sand and brush the topcoat till you're more confident. Just try not to go on too heavy with it and for first coat go with something that sands well ie stix or otex akva in case there's a few runs. HH not particularly good for this imo (although it does spray nicely)

16. White Spirit

White Spirit PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

No, it matters less, cos if I balls it up I can put it right without the embarrassment of a customer I don't really know.

I'd be just going straight on with Advance Satin, as I did them last time and they're in good nick. I'll do the heating up method, its just working out the best settings

crj likes this.
  17. ajmdecorators

ajmdecorators PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@crj get the set up I got from @SpraymanUK its a great step up from the 3500 and not that much more expensive

crj likes this.
  18. RonyT

With warmed and a small drop of water, BM Advance satin I'm 99% of the time at 8-9 fluid, 10 Air.
    Hope that gives you a starting point

crj and White Spirit like this.
  19. bruntonpasty

bruntonpasty PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You're spot on about the confidence thing there Greenbank, I don't use mine all that often and because of that I tend to to get a bit nervous about the job. That said, Ive just sprayed woodwork in a HSL this week, not 100% happy with how it went but maybe 98%!

crj and White Spirit like this.
  20. RonyT

Go balls deep boys/girls. Fortune favours the brave.
    It’ll take 1 maybe 2 jobs and I’ll almost guarantee you’ll nail it down.

I was the same 1st run out. If you have any questions or not sure of something, please feel free to PM me. Happy to help where I can

:thumbsup: