1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning and preparing woodwork

Discussion in 'Preparation - how to do it.' started by mark pollitt, Nov 24, 2020.

1. mark pollitt

mark pollitt PPS Tradesman

Hi all
    I’ve been using virosol to clean down woodwork then wiping over with a damp cloth when dry sanding it and wiping it all down with a damp cloth again. Is there any reason why I couldn't clean with virosol sand then wipe with a damp cloth. Or is there anything else I could use to clean down with ?

2. Tomdec

Tomdec Veni, Vidi, Vici. Bar Member

Morning. I use Rustoleum pre paint cleaner. Quick and effective.

andyfloss, mark pollitt and barry like this.
  3. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Just brought 2 tubs of Rustoleum looking forwards to trying it.

I have a few methods Meths is always good but use a damp microfiber cloth saves it evaporating and cuts down on how much you use best to buy in 5ltrs about £18. Best allround cleaner for glass with clean paper towel it's also the best stuff to clean my glasses.

Soudal glass cleaner is also a good cleaner not as problematic to spray as meths cleans marble tops and general surfaces alcohol based so its got to be good!

Malupplui from Tikkurila (yep I can't pronounce it let alone spell it!) is very good, it strips paint just make sure you thin it!) it cleans brushes better than any others

Sugar soap.....yes it still works great for general cleaning and grout!

Everbuild wonderwipes spray is very good works well on everything.

Uniwipes Ultragrime wipes are now my goto wipes they are big and stay wet for ages works great with the above!

Sprayandrun, Marylee, Tomdec and 3 others like this.
  4. ahenrypd

ahenrypd PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I only wash down first if the woodwork is that grimy, then it's maalipesu or virosol.

I use gloss off for the final clean after sanding as there is no need to rinse the gloss off ... off.

Sprayandrun, Tomcio, Wayners and 2 others like this.
  5. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

6. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I stopped using virasol for cleaning woodwork as i found it left a residue if not rinsed immediately. Brilliant for tops of kitchen units, cleaning brushes, walls etc. Now use rustoleum pre treatment for heavy soiling. Depending on budget and time, kk gloss off before sanding, then again after sanding as this will also remove any remnants left behind before using waterborne systems. I find using kk gloss off helps abrasive cut in to existing coating.

Sprayandrun and ahenrypd like this.
  7. mark pollitt

So there’s no need to rinse off after gloss off

8. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Not to rinse off. Must thoroughly apply with a clean cloth and bit of pressure especially with slightly soiled areas. I use coarse micro fibre cloths ( not polishing micro fibre cloths). Spray your application cloth, really soak it and put plenty on substrate to be painted without dripping on floor or surrounding surfaces as they may stain or dull. Then wipe with clean cloth as manufacturers instructions. When first used i didn't apply too much and had issues. When you paint, hopefully you'll find an improvement for application as your brush shouldn't slide across the suface but glide across it with a slight drag. Try test area first, may not be to your liking. Also wouldn't rely upon it without sanding. Heavy soiling and i'd recommend a bit of rustoleum pre treatment. You should get better coverage and obliteration of first coat. This works for me and have used kk gloss off for around 3 years. No issues that i know of.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Marylee and Tomcio like this.
  9. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

......I also find if brush slides when applying waterborne paint over existing oil paint, not enough prep has been done and doubtful it will pass any abrasion test.

10. Tomcio

I tried the blue Rust Oleum pre paint cleaner on mild carbon soiled fireplace chimney, painted, wooden paneling.. It did nothing and it does nothing since as it stays on the workshop shelve.

I recommended many times here the Debeer 1-951 Silicone Remover for furniture polishes residues removal.

Maalipesu should not be left on the cleaned surface in concentrations 1:5 and stronger for to long (10mins some times) as it can strip or soften the existing finish. Don't use it over Danish oil and similar if you're not about to strip it back to the bare.

Never use any high alkaline cleaner in high concentrations on French polished furniture.

11. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I'm not surprised the rustoleum didn't work on the fireplace. Was it baked on surface from heat? Did you manage to remove the deposits. Would gentle wipe with acetone have worked, if there was no heat present at the time and caution taken?

12. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@mark pollitt best thing to clean down with is wet or dry. It cleans and abrades at the same time. Should have mentioned this previously as use wet or dry frequently. You don't have to make the surface perfect with wet or dry, just enough to remove contaminants and create a key for subsequent coats.

mark pollitt, Tomcio and ahenrypd like this.
  13. Tomcio

Maalipesu 1:4 sorted carbon in 2 seconds @andyfloss

andyfloss likes this.
  14. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Nice one @Tomcio. I've not used Maalipesu. Read some good reviews though. There are so many prep products out there. If i need something quick we have 3 main suppliers here apart from builders merchants and diy. Bit stuck for choice. Internet has too much choice sometimes!!

Tomcio likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Virosol from the off for me is a brilliant cleaner and cheap but pre paint application I use gloss off crud cutter most of the time although not always as no need.

andyfloss and Gary scott like this.
  16. mark pollitt

The last couple of jobs think I’ve been doing it the wrong way sanding first as the woodwork didn’t look to bad then cleaning afterwards. But today I cleaned first like I use to which made sanding a noticeable bit better and left a better surface to paint

andyfloss and Tomcio like this.
  17. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

the blue one ??

18. Tomcio

Yes.
    Oops sorry I was using the blue one.. but you didn't asked me.

Tomdec likes this.
  19. Tomdec

Tomdec Veni, Vidi, Vici. Bar Member

Yeah, that's the one. Gloss off for bannister rails previously varnished that are being prepared for painting. I should add that this knowledge of products has all been gleaned from this forum. When I first came here I was still using sugar soap and white spirit. Knowledge base on here is unequalled IMO.

Oldcity, puffa, andyfloss and 3 others like this.
  20. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

After reading this nightmare for @Gazza and the possible problems with the residue left when using Viro-sol, which got my hole a twitching and a colly wobble going on.
    I've been banging my head trying to find this link that I posted a while ago but not got round to buying it.
    Is Rustoleum pre paint sound @Tomdec ?