1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country cottage kitchen respray

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by Michael W, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

A few pictures from a kitchen respray completed this week Farrow and Ball wevet. Vinyl wrap completely stripped from all doors and drawers plus carcasses too.

Attached Files:

2. grumpyvandriver

grumpyvandriver PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks really nice .

Michael W likes this.
  3. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

4. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

Nice. What primer did you use on mdf?
    What's your spraying rig?

Buckers likes this.
  5. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Looks great @Michael W, but stripping the vinyl wrap must have been a killer, what sort of man hours did that take please?
    I'd alway be concerned about the condition of the MDF underneath the wrap if I was going to take on a complete strip. I've sprayed a few vinyl wrapped kitchens as the client hasnt liked the idea of stripping them as soon as you start talking about the time scale involved.

6. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice transformation there @Michael W . It looked very dreary before but looks brand new now.
    Even changing the exposed black hinges and handles makes it look better.

Bobbones and grumpyvandriver like this.
  7. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Thanks @RonyT the exposed hinges were faux and just knocked on to the with pins, was a real pain filling the little pin holes as they sat within the double frame but a couple of fills with two pack and a final with 3m putty made them as smooth as and removing them has made a huge difference.
    ---
    Thanks @Buckers the vinyl removal was killer, took two days to get it all off, being double framed it left a lot of adhesive from the wrap in there which we had to blade out and clean then 3 coats of high build primer to seal everything and give a good surface to sand everything back smooth. We had no choice but to remove the wrap as it was starting to peel in many place, we charged £2700 but the customer was really happy with the price as buying something new in that size kitchen would have been in excess of 20k.
    ---
    Thanks @Tomcio we used a high build polyester from Renner which builds quick and goes super hard, our on site setup is 100 litre compressor and Devilbiss gpi for primer and Devilbiss gti pro lite 1.3 for top coats, back in the workshop we use same guns but we have a Hertz rotary screw compressor with full extraction in spray booth and all air fed masks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2021
    Tomcio, Gazza, Buckers and 4 others like this.
  8. Buckers

Buckers PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

You need to up your prices my friend, that's a quality looking job and as you quite rightly say that size kitchen replacement wouldn't have been cheap. No wonder they were happy, new kitchen for a fraction of the price.

So you have a booth setup @Michael W? A few of us spray in workshops with what seems like varying degrees of size and cost setups, I might start a picture thread on that so we can all pinch ideas off each other. :think:

Daf, mistcoat, Jason Gunter and 5 others like this.
  9. greenbank

greenbank PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Nice job Michael, but I agree with @Buckers that it sounds too cheap for the work and quality

Tomcio and Buckers like this.
  10. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Cheers @greenbank. Yes it was too cheap to be honest but there is stiff competition where I am based another kitchen spray company 4 units down from mine, if I was to quote it again though I would probably add another £500-£1000 especially now knowing how much more difficult it was than I anticipated. So definitely a lesson learned. @Buckers definitely start that thread mate I would be more than happy to contribute, its nice to have a community where we can all share and help each other grow and gain knowledge.

11. Marylee

Marylee PPS Tradesman

Doesn’t the colour just freshen everything up! What a lovely job.
    Am not surprised the homeowner was pleased with the result!

RonyT likes this.
  12. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Thanks @Marylee yes I completely agree a really fresh clean colour. We have got a few dark colours coming up soon which should also look good and certainly make a huge difference and some wet look high gloss ones too, which is never fun but always look bold when completed, high gloss isn't to my taste but everyone is different.

Marylee likes this.
  13. Tomcio

From my experience stripping the wrap foil take less time than cleaning well messed up painted kitchen.
    For removing adhesive residue gun wash with wire wool works best.
    Now ; all of the wrapped kitchens in my area are coming from the same big joinery (I worked there for one year just after my arrival to Éire 15 years a go) it is all utter crap.. I remember the rush of the Celtic Tiger when only quantities sold were important.. Wrapping moisture wet mdf panels was a norm.
    Anyway great job..
    What's the double frame @will?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Michael W and Marylee like this.
  14. Marylee

Marylee PPS Tradesman

Please do share some photos when you get to the end? Would love to see more. It’s great you have clients interested in something a little more daring than the usual!

I have to say I am a bit in awe of some of those high gloss finishes when they appear unexpectedly on a ceiling or walls, in certain spaces.

But the thought of the cost - the preparation required, coat upon coat needed, plus the skill to achieve it, leaves me shuddering!

Michael W likes this.
  15. Tomcio

Sorry mistake, what's the double frame @Michael W?

16. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Hi @Tomcio might be my mistake with terminology, I mean the 2 routed channels in the door fascias that involve a huge amount of detailed work.

17. Tomcio

Understand now. Yes they rough as the fluf.

Michael W likes this.
  18. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Yes @Tomcio they were hellish on this job but a labour of love to make sure it was done spot on for the customer.

Tomcio likes this.
  19. Iain79

Iain79 PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Really nice work @Michael W , do you ever have problems with doors sticking when you do so many primer coats plus however many topcoats?

20. Michael W

Michael W PPS Tradesman

Thanks @Iain79 never have any problems at all with sticking panels, our usual process is 2 prime and 2 top but on ones where we remove the wrap it needs a little more but with the thickness of the wrap removed it doesn't seem to be an issue. Also what we build with primer gets rubbed back quite a bit to leave a level, smooth surface.

Iain79 likes this.