1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disposal of wallpaper paste

Discussion in 'Caring for the Environment' started by beautifulhomesbev, Dec 31, 2013.

1. beautifulhomesbev

beautifulhomesbev PPS Apprentice

Hi all (again!)

Just wondering what people do to dispose of their wallpaper paste? What is legal?

Bev

2. wall2wall

wall2wall PPS Master Craftsman

Powdered flake paste and the like heavily diluted with water, pre mixed and synthetic pastes can be left to harden, legal? That would depend on your local authority and their regulations relating to the disposal of enzymes.

3. beautifulhomesbev

Thanks W2w, I was just wondering wether people really leave it to harden.I know it is an option. And if anyone actually knows what their LA regs are? What do people do? The data sheets say contact your LA. Has anyone ever obtained such info that they would like to share? I'm asking not just for myself and my local environment but it's one of those grey areas of our trade I think is scarce on real info. Seems like I will just give my LA a ring ....

4. wall2wall

Yeah Bev pre mixed waste paste will harden but flake paste won't. Always better to take it away from the jobsite anyway for if customer sees you pouring anything down the sink or toilet and for any reason they become blocked your going to get the blame.

5. Redhousepainter

Redhousepainter Seditionary Bar Member

For flake paste I will normally dilute with hot water & detergent & then pour down the toilet, not sure if this is A1 ethical practice. ..but it works for me .:yes:

6. beautifulhomesbev

Thanks again w2w and rhp. I too tend to dilute and pour away and omg never at a customers house!! :-0 I think we are all doing similar things, sometimes I end up with a lot left and it just doesn't feel right going down a hole into the drains if you know what I mean. Still, I'll call la and see what they have to say- I think it is classed as hazardous waste - potentially another expense - shhhh giving local council ideas to cash in on the trade! but how to dispose of it???? I think it's only me really interested, I am environmentally conscious ! Lol but I will post back what I find out for anyone wanting to know or search the forum in the future ....... *tumbleweed* !!

7. dimmaz88

dimmaz88 PPS Master Craftsman

Don't start asking too many questions, we won't be able to wash brushes in a sink soon :winky:

8. wall2wall

Bev,

I don't think it can be classed as hazardous if the MSDS don't class it as hazardous, I may be wrong.

9. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Surely flake paste is no worse to put into the water as water based paint :scratchhead:

And for pre mixed paste why don't you keep it for eac. Job? Keep minimal stock, a lot more environmentally friendly the. Disposal :thumbsup:

I'm sure you can save the environment with bigger issues then wallpaper paste,

What about all the plastic we use as a trade?
    Also decorating not environmentally safe anyway :whistle:

10. coxy

coxy PPS Craftsman Bar Member

The Zinsser Sure Grip I use keeps indefinitely in the tub which goes to the recycling centre when empty.
    I find that if you put a lid on your left over flake then leave it for a few days, it reverts to water and can be poured down the toilet easily.