1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulux quick dry gloss.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by andyfloss, Nov 25, 2020.

1. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

20201125_144532.jpg

Window board. abranet 240. Kk gloss off . 1 coat dulux quick dry undercoat, 1 coat dulux quick dry gloss. You may have to rotate the image, for some reason i can't rotate it for pps. I'm happy with the sheen for water!!

2. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Dulux is good if item being painted is flat, but vertical is a nightmare for runs I found.

Sprayandrun, Daf, crj and 1 other person like this.
  3. kirk

kirk PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I'm glad it's not just me who has this problem, I think it looks nice when done but my god it's a pain to apply

crj, lone furrow and bagshot like this.
  4. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Struggled at first getting a good finish without brushmarks with one coat gloss. Really wasn't putting enough on when first used the product. Haven't really the time to 2 coat gloss as tenants move in next day and have 5 days to paint 1 bedroom flat. With vertical surfaces, I really load a brush, get on real quick and even , then lay off with small thin laying off brush to feel the level. Dulux is specified by the organisation i undertake some work for.

5. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

Dulux gloss problem can be blamed for me being here to some degree. Remember spraying rads and doors and all looked good. Came back for another look 15mins later and amazing. Looked great :thumbsup:Then another 15mins and runs everywhere :headwall:

Sprayandrun and Tomcio like this.
  6. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I have small spray set up (gxff, battery handheld graco and wagner 3500) but rarely use any of them due to nature of jobs i have. Hope I achieve more than an acceptable finish in nearly same timescale with brush and roller.

7. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Forgot to add. Window board rolled sparingly with green stripe hamilton4" layed off with 2" staalmeester 2027.

8. Spottie

Spottie PPS Tradesman

My go to gloss roll doors and window sills with prodec mini microfibre roller no laying off with brush perfect finish

Marylee and andyfloss like this.
  9. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@Spottie, i'll try one. I use ice fusion for priming, not had jobs with time to try on site any other way. Must admit i rolled back of cupboard doors u/c and gloss with Hamilton roller, couldn't believe how good the finish was.

Marylee likes this.
  10. Spottie

Spottie PPS Tradesman

11. ryu

ryu PPS Tradesman

dulux upping there game finally?

12. crj

crj PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Not really mate. That's one coat of their gloss. You'll find if you needed to go over it again it would siss and sag all over the shop.

I suspect the finish Andy got there was in spite of it being Dulux and more to do with his skills as a decorator

keef, Bobbones, andyfloss and 2 others like this.
  13. Spottie

Spottie PPS Tradesman

I have never experienced sissing or sagging always apply second coat have had a few runs on sides of archatrives.

14. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I've never had cissing with dulux, try to always recoat within 24 hours. Only had it once with original Johnstone's aqua gloss over aqua undercoat as i couldn't get to site the following day. Nightmare scrubbing brush into undercoat to stop cissing. Lesson learnt for me!!

15. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Only put pic on as Dulux is a bit of a no-go on pps. :hysterical:. I'm agreeable to an extent. The pic was taken for a mate who refuses to use water borne/ based trim products saying brushmarks, low sheen etc!! Imagine being a landlord with various properties. You need products from one company off the shelf locally who fit the bill for your requirement with good quality across the board. Not one company has all perfect products, and we cannot always rely/wait for delivery. My domestic and small commercial work is different kettle of fish.

greenpainting likes this.
  16. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

done a massive hall,stairs & landing in the summer. all the woodwork including wall panels were a dark mahogany wood stain/vanish. customer wanted a white gloss finish to match the rest of the house. after 1 coat of BIN of then gave it 2 coats dulux QD undercoat plus 2 coats of QD gloss. i couldn't believe how good it looked next to the oil gloss. you could hardly tell the difference.

RonyT, orbitalforest and andyfloss like this.
  17. orbitalforest

orbitalforest PPS Tradesman

I've just finished a large office building using the Dulux QD undercoat & gloss throughout , i too was impressed with it's performance , seems much better than it used to be and also seems rock solid when cured with a scratch test.

andyfloss likes this.
  18. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@orbitalforest it has its uses!! I find it better with 1 eased sharp coat gloss and 1 round coat gloss. Haven't time for that on particular job or with the choice of paint.

19. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

What, yellowing?

I'm kidding, honestly :yes:
    It's nice to hear some good vibes about a paint brand that we as pro's once trusted.

20. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

What is that. I've never heard of it.

barry likes this.