1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulux quick dry gloss.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by andyfloss, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I wish I could've shown you the photos but I had to do a factory reset on my & didn't save all my photos on my. Gutted as I had loads of my dog who passed away during lockdown.

Tomcio, bagshot, will and 1 other person like this.
  2. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Old school term.. "Sharp" coat is quick thinned low thickness coat. "Round" coat is full bodied coat.

Tomcio and Sprayandrun like this.
  3. Lee Anthony

I would never thin down a water based gloss unless it was on a flat surface.

4. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

I would have liked to have seen photos. I don't have much contact with decorators these days as i'm on my own majority of time. The few I know won't use water unless they have to, which doesn't give me great confidence. I much prefer water for many customer reasons.
    I'm glad pps is predominantly forward thinking with good experienced and knowledgable trades people.
    I liked mistcoats sting in the tail comment, brilliant :biggrin:.
    My condolences for the loss of your woof. I'll be gutted when ours go.

Tomcio and greenpainting like this.
  5. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Easing it is not a problem, a little splash helps to achieve a quick dry base for 2nd top coat as you're sealing the undercoat rather than giving a protective finish. I never ease or thin top coats. I'm not wanting to denib a softer than necessary subsequent coat. Obviously this can change with different paints.

6. Lee Anthony

I work on my own as well and I stopped using oil based paints on internal woodwork about 5 years ago. You're not alone though. I speak to a lot off the staff in the trade centers & oil still out sells water based products for woodwork. Some of other stuff pro decorators use on jobs is different topic completely.

andyfloss likes this.
  7. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Apparently quarter of sales are taken by waterborne based trim paints. The figure is growing and will continue. HSE recommend the use of water where possible rather than solvent.

8. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

@Lee Anthony The like was for your sounding happy with th the Dulux finish and being cross you lost all photos.
    Not for the sadness of losing your sidekick best mate, Lee :sad:

@andyfloss I think you said the other day that you hadn’t heard the term “sticker”.
    I hadn’t heard of yours “sharp & round”.
    I love these new word terms. Every day is a school day here on PPS :thumbsup:

Lee Anthony likes this.
  9. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@mistcoat my lecturer in my apprentice days used those. I used "sparingly" in previous message to this thread. Wasn't sure if anyone knew "sharp" or "round" Wish I'd put "round"

Every day is a school day :rolleyes::yes:

10. mistcoat

@andyfloss So that was many years ago then :tomato: :biggrin:
    It’s a shame we lose certain terminology for new. I for one am guilty of picking up and using new words.
    “Trim” being one of them words. But, I am back onto “woodwork” again thankfully.

greenpainting and andyfloss like this.
  11. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

@mistcoat I'm not keen on "trim" myself, much prefer woodwork. I tend to use "trim" more so, as there are so many composite components used in building.

Yes, was a while ago being an apprentice, feels like yesterday (so to speak!)

mistcoat likes this.
  12. will

will PPS Tradesman

..Full fat is a non thinned coat around my way

.. No joke when they say mans best friend,gutted for you

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2020
  13. siwel

siwel PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

As far as I am concerned there is only one Water based gloss Benjamin Moore

andyfloss, barry and RonyT like this.
  14. Lee Anthony

We now have a 9 month old jack Russell who's absolutely awesome but we still can't look at photos of our little girl without getting upset.

siwel, andyfloss and will like this.
  15. greenpainting

greenpainting Jolly Green Giant Bar Member

I am still surprised the percentage of W/B is so low given the advanced technology and eco awareness. I peed the buy in Brewers off the other day. I was in there picking up few bits and another dec came in and said he had been told to go in a pick up satinwood for a rental job nd didnt know if they wanted W/B or oil - he asked which would be better. The guy behind the counter said oil is better but I decided to stick my nose in and the guy bought W/B after I explained how to get the best from it.

bitzz, mistcoat, barry and 2 others like this.
  16. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Hearing the reports on the quick dry made me think it might be sikkens in a different tin, that looked lovely then could run.
    Hopefully scuff x get a gloss soon.

andyfloss likes this.
  17. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

I'm still happy with helmi 80. That and BM advance and I've got it covered. Bedec I've not used (well I've had samples) but that's another option. Depends if you want alkid or acrylic. Current job needs acrylic lashed on with 6 inch from DD. Well lashed on with some care :whistle: as a tad rough tbh.

andyfloss likes this.
  18. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Dulux quick dry is ok for its purpose!
    Have now been given permission to trial BM advance gloss.
    The window board at start of thread is from very regular customer.
    I've a choice now, to give woodwork 1 adhesion primer and 2 advance gloss or 2 advance gloss (meticulous prep!) or stick with Dulux quick dry (which is acceptable 1 uc/ 1 gloss). I much prefer the user friendly and sheen level of BM advance gloss. It's whether i can complete 1 bed fĺats in 5 days with recoat times, also knowing I can apply BM (3coats) nearly as quick as dulux (2coats). Only 1 way to find out!!

Sprayandrun likes this.
  19. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

There is a scuff x gloss. Its called semi gloss. Obviously won't be as high a gloss as advance but used the aura semi gloss and it had a decent sheen level.

Sprayandrun and andyfloss like this.
  20. mistcoat

@andyfloss The BM drying times can be tested. The Advance is not a 16hr recoat. In the summer, I have done a successful 1hr denib with no clogging of the Abranet and a 2nd coat of Advance.