1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dulux quick dry gloss.

Discussion in 'Showcase - show us your work.' started by andyfloss, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Gazza

Gazza PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I can second that mate!

siwel and mistcoat like this.
  2. Lee Anthony

Lee Anthony PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

Always give it two glosses if you want it to look like oil gloss

keef, andyfloss and lone furrow like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

With BM gloss just use one coat over a primer @andyfloss. Only second coat if needed imo if on clock plus tight on price. Don't add anything to it
    (water only) unless large area in the summer. What is your preferred uc for interest? And which white you getting BM in?

As for one or two coats I agree 2 is better but for some jobs that are tight something has to give..

4. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Have always left 2nd gloss for next day. They are warm flats, good ventilation. 4 hours between coats should be enough?

I use chantilly lace, bit softer with high hide as u/c.
    Would want to give 2 cts gloss, they like a sheen and depth of colour.

5. keef

keef keef Bar Member

the best way to get a oil based finish is to use oil based:sarcastic:

andyfloss likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners I Taut I Taw A Puddy Tat Bar Member

High hide.. Good stuff but not my first choice as uc.
    Quick wash
    Sand
    Gloss off crud cutter
    Otex Akva
    Give it 2 hours and start glossing.

So many different ways to do it though. Just saying that's one of I use @andyfloss

7. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

Not used otex akva yet, have some to trial at home first. Is it more dense than h/h, which seems quite porous, can't get decent finish with 1 coat advance gloss no matter how much i apply.

8. Sprayandrun

Sprayandrun PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

@Gazza i normally use eggshell or the semi gloss (aura or scuff) but the sheen isn't traditional level i wouldn't even say its on the level of a oil satinwood maybe oil eggshell.

Gazza likes this.
  9. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

Yep 2 coats of Advanced Gloss every time I haven't come across a WB gloss that goes in one to give a half decent sheen level.

10. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

The Advance high gloss is best received over the Advance Primer :thumbsup:

11. andyfloss

andyfloss PPS Craftsman

The Advance high gloss is best received over the Advance Primer :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Have started another flat, to be finished jan4th. Will be doing woodwork as BM spec for advance gloss. Loads of time!! Not really...... I've stripped 2 ceilings and they're to be taped and jointed. Stripping woodchip and lining walls to bedroom!!

The Dulux quick dry gloss is acceptable with 1 coat gloss over their uc for certain work and with a decent sheen level. I find if you topcoat between 16-24 hours after their undercoat you get the best results.

2 WB gloss coats always better.
    2 coats solvent gloss is better than 1!!!

12. lone furrow

lone furrow Angel of the East

Pretty good over advance satin as well if speed is an issue.

mistcoat likes this.
  13. lone furrow

lone furrow Angel of the East

:lol::lol::lol:

Keef ...you renegade....:smile:

Gazza likes this.
  14. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

I’m with Toothy on this one. Brilliant primer and high gloss (or satin for that matter) glide on and it levels just like the top costs. Love it.

mistcoat likes this.
  15. RonyT

RonyT PPS Master Craftsman Bar Member

ooops.... Timothy not Toothy :biggrin:

mistcoat likes this.
  16. Tomcio

Tomcio Brush Navigator Bar Member

You right @RonyT.. Top costs level well:lol:

mistcoat likes this.
  17. Samdex

Samdex PPS Tradesman

Otex akva is good gear il 2nd that, the white is far from white though although never had an issue with grinning so far.
    Caparol doesnt get much of a looking on these forums it seems (something to do with their UK distributor sponsoring another dec forum maybe? :whistle:)
    Haftprimer is my go to - blows high hide out the water imo, dont really get the obsession with hh on here tbh its ok to good at best, but only really good for its hiding power really (who would have thought?) and it doesnt really sand down well at all i've found.

RonyT likes this.
  18. mistcoat

mistcoat Colour Changing Cowboy Staff Member PPS Painter Bar Member

Nothing like that at all, thank you very much! :rolleyes:
    Some of our other sponsors here sponsor other forums too, they are still here on PPS.

Nobody stops anyone using any other brand here. If you like Haftprimer over High Hide, that is your choice. Just so you know, I too prefer Haftprimer over HH. But I'm not a PU Satin lover at all.

Anyway, I hope that sorts that out for you :doff:

19. Samdex

Samdex PPS Tradesman

Was simply mentioning how caparol doesnt get as much mention around here compared to BM and how they both sponsor different forums which is a fair observation imo. I too am not crazy about the caparol top coats and much prefer scuff-x. Horses for courses and all that. I do find HH to be very overhyped on here as a does everything primer when there are better products to use instead (for example ive been recommended on here to use HH under advance instead of advance primer?) but again just my opinion. :dunno:

20. 3 spires

3 spires I like the no nonsense approach me Bar Member

I have done tests with various primers and posted in the past for Adhesion oil primers I find the best eg. Coverstain, Otex then WB halfprimer is about the best unless you need to stop tannins and HighHide is a good bet but doesn't always hold staining back, Stix is also a great primer but I am always truthful about what I feel is the best and unfortunately one primer doesn't do it all.

I suppose BM paints are on the whole very good if not bloody excellent and like many who try to use just one paint supplier, they will have trust in that brand which today is unusual

I have loads of stock of other paints and primers, nutters like me who fell down the rabbit hole years ago in search of the best there is!